RE PAINTING RE GELCOATING, ETC, HELP!!!!!

Hello all,<br /> i have a '68 15' starcraft fiberglass.<br /><br />bought it this summer, never took her out yet.<br /><br />there is a few spots i'd like to re-fiberglass. i bought a fiberglass repair kit.<br /><br />the last owner painted the boat a while ago i guess, it looks like it was done with house paint with a brush, it's horrible!<br /><br />i'd like to repaint and gelcoat this boat<br /><br />how much money would paint, primer, getcoat and whatever else i need for this job cost me? approixmate?<br /><br />it's a normal sized 14/15 footer run about.<br /><br />please help.<br />thanks in advance<br />or<br />email me at stripersearch@aol.com

D

DJ

Re: RE PAINTING RE GELCOATING, ETC, HELP!!!!!

RIStriper,<br /><br />I think I would forget about regelcoating. It is a very involved and tedious process, expensive too.<br /><br />A repaint with marine paint is very doable.<br /><br />Check out the paint section at this website.<br /><br />www.westmarine.com

ihear ya about the gelkote<br /><br />can someone give me a ballparkfigure$$ price it would cost me for all of this? i'm not good with painting boats at al<br /><br />mike

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Striperfisherman,<br /> My last boat was a 24 foot Cobia painted with emron paint. I understand that this paint is very user unfriendly and the people applying it has to have thier act together. This paint was finally getting rough or should I say worn through when I sold the Boat.(1985 to 2001) I would say the life span was excellent. My first guess would be consult an automotive body shop for this project and depending on prework you do prior would determine cost. Maybe take the time to remove rub rail,reseal shoe box joint, definitly remove hardware and expect them to sand smooth and shoot paint. (In the 400.00 to 700.00 range) Also I would only re-do the sides and maybe gunnels. I assume it is trailored so for the bottom I'd use<br />a high quaulity hard bottom paint. For me this procedure worked okay and she turned out rather pretty. Just a thought! I think you'll find that trying to re-gell coat this vessel will run far outside of it's worth and applying gellcoat over existing gelcoat is very difficult even for the most experienced.<br />Charlie

hunky-dory

Cadet

ristriper you would have great luck with bright sides it is user frendly . and can be put on with a roller and tiped with a brush .used it many of times on boats that size hope this helps. just make sure there is no wax when you do the sanding