What best paint and primer to paint an aluminum out drive

John Smith

Cadet
I recently had my out drive remove to replace the lower and upper seal and changing the impeller, while the unit is remove I was thinking to re paint the out drive, anyone know the best and easily way to remove all the old pain and primer(sandblast, wire brush, striping paint)Some mechanic told me when they try to prepare a use car for sale they stem clean the engine and also spray a mild acid to make all the aluminum shine like knew, Anyone know how this is down. Also what is the best primer and paint to do the out drive so it will last 4-5 years in salt water, thanks in advance for any help

D

DJ

Re: What best paint and primer to paint an aluminum out drive

John,<br /><br />I responded to your question in the I/O section on Jan. 19.

I used zinc Chromate primer(West MArine 12.00 per can), and then sprayed it with Rustolem white and it held up in the water (wet Slip for 8+ years before needed a repaint. Also the paint they sell from Volvo is Lacquer and I don't believe it is a good IMO.<br /><br />Mark

Bondo

Staff member

I spray mine black a couple times a year with Rustolium.... No Problems.. (trailer boat)<br />5 years in Salt, I'd think you'll need some sort of Anti-fowling paint.....<br />Don't Strip all the paint.. Power wash it, scrub it, Clean it.... Then lightly sand it,+ Paint it..... any paint left after your preperation is Good paint, it's doing it's job.. leave it there... Bare metal should be primed with "metal etching primer"(zinc chromate)....