I've got the bug!

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, I've been so impressed with all these homemade boats that I'm going to give it a whirl. As I have no experience with woodworking or fiberglassing, would you suggest I start with a basic canoe, or something as easy? It looks like the XF-20 from Bateau would be what fits my needs the most: www.bateau.com/plans/power/XF20.php3<br /><br /> Any advice for a novice/beginner would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much.

crab bait

Captain
Re: I've got the bug!

start out with a boat that you can tackle & finish... major keyword 'FINISH '.. an pick a boat that you can use..but heck,, anyone can use a conoe... <br /><br />a good starter is the 'six hour canoe' by tiller publishing .. they're on the web.. <br />i have the plans, myself but never built one.. a friend of mine has... <br /><br />it's really a very pretty & very stable craft...an very easy to build as the name applies.. but you should call it the six WEEK conoe..<br /><br />glen-l marine .com has very good books an videos on the subject includin' buildin' & glassin' an stuff.. <br /><br />knowledge is priceless... good luck

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yep... I've got the bug too, but got too many other "Projects" in the works to start another...<br /><br />Like Crabby says "pick one you can FINISH"... Stich & Glue looks like the way to go to me... <br /><br />Canoes are good, a dinghy or a rowboat would also be good for starters... :) Have fun...

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Bryan,<br />Ditto...what they said. Only check out these sites too:<br />www.gatorboats.com (one of my favs)<br />www.duckworksmagazine.com<br />When I get my old antique outboards done this spring, I'm going to do either a jonsboat or a simple 2-man skiff...for a starter. Lord knows where I'll end up with this. Good luck and post pix along the way and when you're done.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

I'm ordering the plans to the PH18 from www.bateau.com on Monday, if all goes well.<br /><br />I have never built a boat..but it doesn't worry me. I've used fiberglass several times in model boats (remote controls), and they use the same type of construction...just a whole lot bigger! A friend of mine, and myself, are going to go in half on the costs (college students), and hope to have it done by the end of the year...<br /><br />Now I just need to finish my ford mustang so I have room for the boat!

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the input. You shoulda seen the reaction on my wifes face when I told her about my new venture! At any rate, I'm going to build the canoe, and if all goes well, the Flat on Bateaus. I enjoy seeing the pictures of the boats in progress.