please help me with wiring on my boat

Adam Teesdale

Recruit
I have a 1988 tourniment tsx17 bass tracker aluminum bass boat with a 75hp mariner. I had to redo the floor and deck because it was rotten. I also need to redo the wiring at the dash. wires got accidently pulled from switches and some of the wires are also bad. how do I rewire my dash for this boat. I have no wiring diagrams and have not found any. Tracker Marine has not sent me any yet! Could someone who knows how to wire the dash switches and gages for this boat please give me a hand? This is my first boat project. Thank you in advance. Adam

D

DJ

Re: please help me with wiring on my boat

Adam,<br /><br />Do a search on this board called: "guage wiring".<br /><br />Also, what types of devices are you going to hook up? You may be better off starting from scratch.

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi, Adam. While I'm not familiar with your boat's wiring, I can give you a hint on what worked for me when I rewired my boat. I had about 7 wires going to each battery terminal and every spring and winter I had to deal with this mess. I got sick of it and, bought a fuse panel that had about eight terminals for - and eight for+,+ having fuses. I got 4 wire running of the battery now(engine starter wires and 2 for something else, bilge maybe?) My fuse panel is under the dash. Hope this helps. PDS

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Adam, Teleflex web site has an excellent web page to help with installation. Even if you don't have Teleflex brand gauges, it is almost same, here's link:<br /><br /> http://www.tflx.com/tech.html

Homerr

Commander

I would just rip it all out and start new.<br /><br />Have you seen any of the greenish wire rot?<br /><br />If you do, then I bet it's in a lot of your harness. Starting fresh is a gurantee you won't have problems later.<br /><br />Think of it like old house plumbing vs. new. Which would you rather work on?<br /><br />If you're somewhat handy and comfortable with the wiring task, it's really not that bad. I personally enjoy that part of the job. Making everything 'come alive' so-to-speak.<br /><br />H.