How many people have built their own boat from plans? How many are in the proces

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
I first got my eye caught on cvlengineer's boat...amazing! It's the 18ft center console, just what I need/want!<br /><br />Then, I went to the bateau website, and liked the flats boat even better, the phantom 18.<br /><br />How many of you have done this?<br /><br />I am a fairly experienced wood worker. I work with wood doors all day long, doing anything from beveling to boring, to laminating, to sealing, to using epoxy, etc..a ton of precision work.<br />I have access to a large storage/shop, 18x30ft, and all the wood working tools I need.<br /><br />Before this job, I was working at a body shop, and I am pretty good at painting, and I was a paint prepper...so the sanding, glassing, etc shouldn't be anything too new to me.<br /><br />What else, besides the plans, money, and patience does it take to build one of these things? I would LOVE to take it on for a year long project, preferably before I start getting hardcore w/my college classes. I am knocking my basics out now, and I'd like to get a boat before I have to pay for a big 4yr school's tuition.<br /><br />Just curious as to who has done this/is doing this...to see if they recommend trying it or not.<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Shawn

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: How many people have built their own boat from plans? How many are in the pr

Re: How many people have built their own boat from plans? How many are in the pr

ShawnQ:<br /><br />I've never built one from plans, but I can tell you that it's probably easier to start from plans than to rebuild an old boat, which I'm currently doing...<br /><br />Stitch & Glue/Epoxy seems to me, too be the best way to go for a first time boat builder...<br /><br />So, you've got all the skills, access to an 18X30 shop (ya dirty rat :p ), and the tools, What are you waiting for???.... Snap to it young man... :p <br /><br />Just remember the 4X rule... It's going to cost you 4 times more than you think....$$$$ <br /><br />P.S. I've got it down to a 2X rule... :p

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Snapperbait..<br /><br />I think I am going to do it. I am probably going to order the plan for something (Still leaning towards the one on www.bateau.com , the phantom18. I would be using a it a lot more in the flats than anywhere else...so I think I'd be better off with that one than the OD18 (like cvlngineer's). However, both are very nice looking!<br /><br />I just bought my first boat, and I'd like to use it for about a year, and turn around and sell it, or give it to my older sister/bro in law. I figure I need to be in an older boat to learn proper boating stuff, and then I'll step up. I only paid $500 for it, so I figure if I get 3 memorable fishing trips out of it, it's paid for, ya know?<br /> <br />I currently have another mustang project going on (1985 5.0 coupe), which should be done in ~3 months. I rent a storage unit/shop ~5mins away from my apt., and it is 18x30. It has plenty of light, power outlets, asphalt floor, and it stays dry. I pay $64 a month for it, but it's money well spent. I'd have to pay an extra $100 to get an apartment with a garage, and it would be tiny!<br /><br /> As soon as the mustang is done, I'm going to build myself a boat! I am going to plan on spending a year on it, with school and work going on. I've got a few friends who would be more than happy to help, and they've got similar skills...<br /><br />Can't wait to start, and I haven't even decided what I'm going to build yet!<br /><br />As for the 4X Rule..I wouldn't doubt it..However, if I spend 4X what it says I should spend, I'm still getting a hell of a deal on a brand new boat that I can have the pride to say I built. Not to mention the fact that I know that it was done right! I'm sure the re-sale on something like this would be an easy profit...<br />Also, my fiance' is currently going to med school, working as an LVN, so if I need some $, I can do a little brown nosing ;) <br /><br />Thanks<br />Shawn

crab bait

Captain

i have built two so far an if/when the economy ever stabilizes ,, there will be a third... believe me buildin' your own boat is one of the coolest things you can do..!! there's nuthin' like spendin'the day on your own built boat..<br /><br />it's hard sometimes to leave the dock and go home from the dock ,, cause the boats draws hordes of people askin' a million questions.. i'am never rude an try to give people time but i just put it in gear an put-put away..<br /> <br />but to biuld a boat,, you gotta have 'STICK TO'... or you'll be the nutty guy with the half built boat in his garage...<br /><br />i'd really check,, alot of rented garages don't allow work to go on... just stowage.<br /><br />don't be in a rush to buy plans.. there is a million boat plans on the market.. attempt to look at them all..<br /><br />agood soarse is::<br /><br /> glen-l <br /> clarkcraft <br /><br /> arch davis <br /><br />what ever you decide,, make your buildin' bed on lockable wheels so you can roll it outside.. to sand , to work on a nice day & to eventually flip..

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

crab bait, thanks for the input!<br /><br />I agree, the boat would be a big pride holder, I would definitely flaunt it a little ;) , and make sure everyone knew that it was "built, not bought"<br /><br />As for the stick to and the rental garage not allowing work, just stowing:<br /><br />I've finished one mustang restoration (1966 fastback w/289v8), and I am in the middle of one (1985 mustang Coupe, 302EFIv8, 5spd). So, I think I have the 'Stick To' part down! :) <br />The storage unit I rent knows about the work I do, and they have about 100 other renters who do boat work, body shops, plumbing, electricians, architectural restoration, etc...it is kind of like renting an actual shop, I suppose..without insurance. So they wouldn't have any problems with me building a boat. I am about to upgrade from an 18x30 to a 30x30, so I may be able to start even sooner than I expected!<br /><br />As for the boats online, everything I am finding is mainly for deep water. I need something that I can run in 18" of water, and stop in 18" of water, and still be able to get out of the hole in only 18" of water...any recommendations?<br /><br />Which boats have you built?<br /><br />Just for kicks, here's my current mustang...ready for primer and paint, waiting on warmer weather! Can't wait much longer! <br />
jun09_17.jpg
<br /><br />Thanks for the help!<br /><br />Shawn