concerned on transom crack

hello to all who share this site :) <br /><br />I recently bought a 78 stuery with a 94 johnson 112spl. Im working on painting it, and found a deep crack along the top of the transom, both sides going horizontally and one crack moving vertically in the middle of a main bolt,someone installed a cool looking aluminum power lift but looks like one of the bolts is over tighten.<br />I grinded the crack open a little and it looks like a gap between skin and solid,Im not familiar with reinforcein the stucture, <br />can i just repair the cracks and paint them?<br />should i be concerned about inturnal unseen damage?<br />thanx in advance

Re: concerned on transom crack

"Opps"i for got to mention it"s a 19 footer,fibberglass,and it"s been stipped,wide deck and lots of fishing room,<br /><br />happy days, :D

speed29668

Seaman

Go ahead and grind the cracks out a bit and take a look at the wood underneath for wetness or rot. If it is rot it will be very soft and a transom replacement my be in order- you'll have to see how far the rot travelled to make that decision. If it is wet but still rigid grind out the area a little larger and let it dry out. Fill the area in with epoxy mixed with a filler such as talc or microballoons. If the fiberglass has delaminated from the wood see how far the delamination goes and inject epoxy to glue it back together.

SCO

Lieutenant

I started poking aroung on my transom and ended up having to rebuild it. Glad I did now but you have to love the boat. Search and read up. Patching will do nothing structural but it is a good idea to seal it up so patching has value. The downside of sealing is if it is wet inside, sealing will insure the water is trapped. Were I to be in your shoes again, I would probably take the engine and get rid of the boat unless it is the hull I wanted for long term. I would then drill pilot holes all over the place and determine the extent of the rot(from the inside if possible). If I couldnt live with it, I'd redo the transom. I did mine from the outside, but would do it from the inside the next time though it usually means taking off the deck. Reason is because you have to refinish the outside and you run into structural problems that are difficult to solve( but was doable in my case).

Thanks for the info,<br />I finally got soom time off work and now I can get back to my boat,I havent done anything to it yet a little grinding around the cracks ,I dont think water damage is the issue. looks more like waight or stress craks around the engine lift, the gel coat looks like its seperating from the wood. <br />Should I drill 1/2" holes arond the bottom of the transom? <br />Should I remove the outboard and lift? BIG PAIN :( <br />The motor has been downsized so I'm hoping it'll be ok with the new waight, it's my first 19 footer and i really dont want to cut the transom out. let me know what ya think.<br />thanx a bunch.

SCO

Lieutenant

If underpowered, I would not do the transom unless its dangerous. Try to get a feel for it. See how flexible it is. You can seal those cracks with a sealent or fix them, but if the boat has been sitting a long while it might be dry. Keep it that way. You should reseal the motor mount holes and the deck seam especially. BTW, it is not hard to get the motor off. Back boat to sturdy tree or frame and lower the hitch. Cinch chain to motor and the sturdy limb. Remove bolts on motor, lift hitch and pull boat out. Sounds like a neat boat to me, and I bet not too underpowered if at all. 35mph is my guess. With all the new info, Id now say seal transom and test the combo if the transom is strong mechanicaly. Get motor ship shape first, then next winter redo the transom and floor and stringers if you like the hull for the motor. Don't marry her till you know she's the one!

Good morning to you all,<br />sco thanx so much for your suport on this issue,<br />Today the motor comes off,and I"ll start the prep, it looks like someone had already done some transom repair to it in the past,i asume this becuase the gel coat on the out side transom is all wavie and bumby,the deck had been repainted as well,i dont know how much repair was made to the deck before they painted it,i think none,terribe job, :eek: <br />I do like the boat ,<br />and motor sounds great but im not sure about marrage,did that a couple years back and now shes a flower pot in my back yard. ;) <br />Well thanx again for your help,i feel more confident knowing theres true knowlegde in numbers.