spring project

I just purchased a 19ft 1988 hydrasport that has sat uncovered under a shade tree for about ten years. The prior owner swears this is a 100% composite boat-no plywood. Can that be right? He's getting the trailer road worthy and delivering this weekend. Fixing the motor doesn't phase me but I'm at a loss on where to start on the hull. I'm sure it needs new carpetting and seats etc, where do I need to start looking for problems? what do I look for? any links to boat restoring 101 would be appreciated. Thanks GRIZZ

D

DJ

Re: spring project

Grizz,<br /><br />The first place to look is the floor. It should be solid, no matter where you step. If it is soft, there is rotton wood under there.<br /><br />Also, check the transom. If you knock on it with your knuckles, it should sound like a solid door.

crab bait

Captain

BOY,,..!! if it is 100 % composite .. NO WOOD.. are you lucky..!! you'll have a little jewel to play with... that is if water didn't get in/under somethin' an freeze an pop.. but not likely...<br /><br />you'll probably have to re-wire her & the floor mite be wood & need replacin' .. but no big deal...<br /><br />you know when you get it... <br /><br />good luck..

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd suggest you check out the gas tank also. I wouldn't be surprised if it needs to be replaced. ;) I didn't realize anyone was using all composite back in '88.