boat radio

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
now I have but 2 things to do for my boat<br />I want to reinstall a radio can someone walk me through it I have a terminal block so Im confused

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: boat radio

Hi miloman, here's my long winded advice for any type of radio on a boat, using a volt meter verify which terminals on the strip are positive and which are negative, if you have two batteries check the terminal voltage and see if it's 12 or 24 volts. Also check to see if they are hot with or without the ignition switch being in the run position. Then determine if you want the radio ON or OFF with the ignition switch. For a VHF radio having the radio alive with the ignition off is handy in an emergency<br />(engine fire) where you may have had to kill the engine. Check that the radio's positive wire has a correctly sized fuse in a water proof or at least water resistant fuse holder, if not add one. I use crimp on terminals for both radio wires, then I add a dab of caulk to each end of the crimp to keep water out, then make sure your get the radio's positive wire on the terminal strips positive terminal, same for the negative radio wire. Then waterproof the terminals, at the very least apply a coat of grease to help avoid the green terminal syndrome. There are better and neater products but grease is cheap and it works. After all it works nicely on battery terminals. Possibly other forum members have alternate ideas. JustMy2CentsWorth.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks alot to answer the question it is an amfm cd player I think that that explanation is going to work fine i do want to play it with the motor off so that helps I keep 2 batteries in the back 1 is for the motor and the other runs 2 pumps fish finder lights I think I want to run it off the main battery what do you think. Do you think it wil drain my main too much not giving me unough cranking amps to start the motor

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Probably better to run the radio from the accessory battery, this leaves the motor battery for starting, hand starting a large motor is too close to heart attack territory. If one battery is a deep discharge I would use that for accessories, the other can be a regular battery. Hope this helps, good luck.

golfer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Run the stereo off the secondary battery, not off the starter. Keep only the starting function on the starter, all else on the secondary. You should have a switch, if so, you are all set. If you drain the secondary to death with the radio, who cares, start up the boat with full strength mr. #1 battery, and switch the switch to #2 and charge it back up. Always keep your #1 as #1 (the most important battery you have).

twodeer

Recruit

MelloYello...Explain please....why 4ohm speakers and not 8ohm? Sorry for what's probably an elementary question...t'anx.