Painting a small boat...

jasonnb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
sI am planning to repaint my 16' tri-hull before spring. I have searched for previous posts about painting, but am being dense. This boat has a top speed of 35 and never spends more than a day in the water (freshwater only) at a time. Could I use something like Interlux Brightside or Petit Easypoxy, or do I need something more heavy duty?

crab bait

Captain
Re: Painting a small boat...

you sure can..!! matter-of-fact,, i reccomend it...

D

DJ

jason,<br /><br />All three brands you mention offer great one part epoxies. For your use, they'll work fine.

JHOLE

Seaman Apprentice

Jason, I used Easypoxy last winter on a 21' cc, my dad used it on 30' cc, both came out great.

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't tried the any of the above apart from a 2 pack epoxy undercoat. I bought 4 litres of undercoat, 4 litres of topcoat and 8 litres of primer.. in 2 seperate cans one for epoxy undercoat and one for polyurethane (there 2 different thinners) for about $350 AUD. That is about $200 -/+ American. All of the paints where 2 pack paints (very strong) and dried within a matter of 2 hours in the hot Australian sun (i could already lean on them) There still perfect today after 6 months and there very hard. Remember a 1 pack finish is always going to be great but its never going to be as hard as a 2 pac. Maybe its better to pay $50 more and just get a 2pac polyurethane paint. Sure its more difficult to paint but because its a 2 part paint when the hardener mixes in and plus you add thinners the paint will dry by nightime if you paint it in the morning and possibly within hours if its very hot (30-40ºc) <br /><br />Good luck .. I think whatever choice you make will be great from what the other iboat members have been saying about your choices but im just telling you my experiences <br /><br />Cya around Mate

crab bait

Captain

one part/pack is just easier & more user-friendly... plus it takes longer to dry,, hence more time for the 'ugly' to dissapear. <br /><br />but 2 part/pack is probably harder.. i say probably,, cause the new tecno paints bein' developed ,, who knows.. but the harder paint will be harder to deal with prep -wise,, the next time paintin'<br />if there is a next time...

jasonnb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the info. As this boat only does weekend fishing duty every other week or so, I think the 1 part will work ok, but I see the point on the 2 part. The existing finish isn't just terrible, but it is badly faded, and there are a couple spots that need some grinding and very minor patching. I am also installing a keel protector since i have to beach the boat often (fish alone from a ramp with no dock). Why not freshen it up a bit before installing the really wxpensive guard?

D

DJ

jason,<br /><br />I've painted several, with "one part". It holds up well. As crab bait said, the only difference is the drying time.

crab bait

Captain

also, do a 'search' on the subject..<br />i wrote a big post a couple of times about the paintin' process...<br />an most important ,,, the special interlux 333 thinner.. without it ,, a good job is impossiable to have...

crab bait

Captain

thought i'd do the hard work for ya..<br /><br />click the 'RED' 'search'<br /><br />type in 'painting'<br /><br /> then click/change from outboards to boating<br /><br />then type in my number ,,6309<br /><br />then click search<br /><br />scoll down to 'june 18'.. my little 16ft.<br /><br />it takes FOREVER to load...<br /><br />scroll down to 6/18/02 9:40 pm..<br /><br />good luck...

I have used Interlux with ok results. I think i thinned it too much, it lifted the primer in some spots.