Waterproofing deck

cimmaronjim

Seaman Apprentice
Any suggestions on what to coat the plywood deck I am installing before carpeting it?<br />polyuerethane? fiberglass resin sans glass? marine varnish?<br />Any tips appreciated.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Waterproofing deck

At least two thick coats of epoxy resin... Pay particular attention to the edges of the plywood... <br /><br />What are you installing a "Plywood deck" in?... Aluminum boat?... :confused:

cimmaronjim

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Snapper, It is indeed an aluminum boat and I know alot of folks think adding a deck is a bad idea, but this boat already had a full length deck in it from someone elses butcher job, who also cut out all the benches. because I needed a way to add structural support side to bottom, I decided on an aluminum framework connected to the bottom and sides with a low deck in the front 1/3 leaving the stern mostly open, with a bench.<br />There is basically nothing I could do to make this piece of crap any worse, and I'm having alot of fun rebuilding it. When you start with nothing you have few design limitations.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I've decked out many a john boat... Sounds like you're on the right track...<br /><br />
When you start with nothing you have few design limitations.
Exactly... :D Enjoy... :D

crab bait

Captain

and countersink the srcew heads & fill with epoxy putty... <br /><br />if water can get in ,, it will..

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have nothing to do with this company, but I tried their Aluthane primer and it is great. <br /><br /> http://www.epoxyproducts.com/5_urethane.html <br /><br />You can read their wood test at http://www.epoxyproducts.com/woodseal.html <br /><br />This stuff works even better than they claim it does. I first tried it on a vynal top of a old Pontiac Bonneville (w/455 engine) that was mechanicaly sound but the top leaked like a sive due to rust under the vynal. The options were fiberglass the top to seal the vynal or paint over it. I tried aluthane, it worked. it water proofed it with two coats, and even looks ½ decent. Now I have a high speed tow vehicle that ride four in comfort and pull my 21 foot cc.<br /><br />I have also used aluthane on boat trailers and the floor on my small aluminum row boat. As I said it is even better than they claim it is.

crab bait

Captain

good info,RIDER..i have read many times in books & on the 'web' that really nothin' keeps water from soakin' into wood... but as a phoenamina,, only epoxy keeps wood from havin' rot occur...worst beening polyester resin..<br /><br />so when you hear ' put on epoxy to keep out water...' it's actually 'put on epoxy to keep out rot...' <br /><br />but not sayin' somethin' new is out on the market or on the near horizon... <br /><br />polyurethan glues an products are relatively new & are amazinly waterproof, strong .. but are they flexiable & 'rot-proof' like epoxies..???<br /><br />good to keep an open mind & a good eye on a promising product...<br /><br />thanks..