Gasoline resistant paint for metal gas tank?

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I'm thinking of repainting my metal OMC gas tank. I'm not too fussy about the color, almost any red will satisfy.

Long before I knew anything about paint, I repainted it--poor prep, no primer, regular Rusto spray paint. The problem I have is that if I spill gas on it and don't wipe it off immediately, the paint blisters, dissolves and practically falls off.

What type of paint would you use for this application?

w2DSC_4954.jpg

w2DSC_6069.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Gasoline resistant paint for metal gas tank?

A 2 part LP paint might get ya there.

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Same stuff you painted your boat with, WITH the hardener or Powder Coat it. I got both of my tanks powder coated for less than $50 bucks.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A 2 part LP paint might get ya there.

YD.

LP? (Probably obvious, but I'm missing it.) Example? :confused:

Same stuff you painted your boat with, WITH the hardener or Powder Coat it. I got both of my tanks powder coated for less than $50 bucks.

Might look into the powder coating....good suggestions.

Or, repaint as you did before and then put a couple coats of clear coat over it. Should last ten years or more.

Why wouldn't the gas dissolve the clear coat, isn't it essentially just paint without pigment?

.....Thanks for the thoughts so far!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

LP (Linear Polyurethane) Awlgrip and Sterling paints are these types. When you spill gas on your car does the Clear Coat bubble? The Hardener is what does the trick. That's why I suggested your boat paint. I was gunna do it to mine but I got such a good deal on the PC I couldn't pass it up.

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I suspect the poor prep/no primer is your problem, not so much the paint. You can use epoxy paint in a rattle can to put a good paint job on it. Epoxy is very chemical resistant.