Fiberglass Boat Repair

TLegendGS

Cadet
Im new to this forum and also new to boating. I have a 14ft bassboat with a 9.5HP Johnson and a 13ft Okamoto with a 7.5HP Elgin. The guy I bought the bass boat from said the last time he ran it was in 96 or so. I havent even tried to run the motor yet since Im not sure on doing so. I only played with the old Elgin 2 stroke which keeps breaking down on me everytime I take it out. I plan on servicing both of them when I have the time. Anyways my problem right now is with the 14ft bass. It looks to me like foam covered in fiberglass. It has a crack on the inside almost from side to side. The outside seems to be in decent condition just bent up a little like this ^ but not as sharp. I already bought a fiberglass repair kit off ebay. What im wondering is should i add foam in the crack or go straight into using the fiberglass to repair. Also do anyone know of any cheap inflatable repair shops around the Los Angeles area. Im getting sick of trying to patch that POS. All comments/advice welcomed. Thanks

crab bait

Captain
Re: Fiberglass Boat Repair

welcome aboard..<br /><br />iwould'nt use that repair kit for that.. save it for somthin' else.. a probaly not enuff stuff to repair a crack like that..<br /><br />epoxy is the only way to go..<br /><br />buy 'thin epoxy' at a marine center & some 'mixin's '.. mixin's beenin' silica, microballons, an crushed/milled fiberglass powder.. <br /><br />mix up the 'poxy.. than add in the mixin's till it's a putty like peanutbutter..<br /><br />sand the paint off the area<br /><br />fill in the crack.. mite take a few coats.. than soak fiberglass cloth stips in thin epoxy 4 inches wider than crack on each side..<br /><br />apply cloth .. than remove air pockets with a squeege.. than apply 2 more layers<br />after that .. makin' the next layer 3 inches wider... the next 2 inches wider..<br />as so to stagger the edges..<br /><br />next mix up some more putty only usin' silica & ballons.. <br /><br />use like spackel to feather edge the cloth to the original sides. <br /><br />sand good .. wash down with ammonia .. then paint..

crab bait

Captain

that's pretty cool..<br /><br />yea, you bought right.. i'd double up the 'matt' an apply it to [on top ] of the fresh filled crack.. mite have to 'wet' it with some fresh mixed 'plain' epoxy.. to make it wet & help it lay flat an stick down good..<br /><br />what alittle while so it just begins to setup ,nice an sticky ,, an squeege out the air pockets..<br /><br />stop .. do no more.. <br /><br />next day ,, sand the 'ugly' out-of-it..the edges especially.. don't sand to much.. you'll sand away the strength..<br /><br />next do a layer of the 'wovin' rovin' ' <br />say, a six inch piece.. knock-out any air pockets.. <br /><br />immediately ,,before it 'kicks-off'[ sets up ],, lay on a final strip of cloth.. not to exceed the 'rovin'' width..<br /><br />sand some .. than mix up some putty using only silica & micro ballons .. using more ballons then silica , say 70 /30 .. the more ballons the easier to sand .. but to less silica ,,it will sag .. silica prevents saggin'.. <br /><br />apply over work like spackel an sand/featheredge to boat hull .. repete as often till your satisfied..<br /><br /> don't use milled fiberglass for this stage..only mix for crack fillin' ,which should be 50 % silica ,,30 % ballons,, 20 % milled..<br /><br />about the 'mixins' .. yes you found them.. but you don't need much.. a 1/2 pound of 'em is about enuff for 2 lifetimes.. <br />but if'n they don't cost to much.. what-the-heck,, buy 'em.. save you the hassel of findin'smaller ammounts..<br /><br />by-the-way... you mite run out of epoxy an cloth.. marine centers sells it all..<br /><br />good luck .. hope i helped.. tryin' to make rank <br /><br /> ;) <br /><br />also can't be done under 65 degrees f.

TLegendGS

Cadet

I still havent received the fiberglass, maybe next week. But here are just some pictures of it. Its not bad for $200 inclduing the motor. Thanks for the advice.<br />
Boat-1.jpg
Boat-2.jpg
Boat-3.jpg
Boat-4.jpg
Dsc00012.jpg
Dsc00013.jpg
Dsc00014.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

This boat has some serious saftey issues....<br /> you'd better see if you can get about ten more of those "repair kits".... you'll also need Alot of sandpaper,+ grinding wheels too....

TLegendGS

Cadet

You think Bondo? The major crack is in the 5th and 6th picture I believe. Im pretty confident that it will hold fine after I repair it. The outside still looks fine only a dent in the hull(right below the crack) I think thats what have caused it to crack like that. Besides what are life jackets for.

Bondo

Staff member

NO Don't Repair with Bondo.... crab bait is referring to my code name,+ post above his.....<br /><br />your boat is Junk,+ a Death trap.... with the V bend in the bottom,+ the Crack(break) on the topsides... the structual intergrity of the hull is BROKEN... this hull can NOT be repaired SAFELY.....<br /><br />if you insist on proceding you'll need at Least 10gals. of Epoxy,+ a ton of glass... the gelcoat,+ all those little diamond textured areas Must be ground out to expose the glass.. i'd say At Least a foot in all directions from the break...then lay in your glass,+ resin...Then you've Got to flip the boat,+ fill the V in the bottom... this will cause SERIOUS handling problems if left unrepaired...<br /><br />My point is; You'll have a $1000. invested in a $10. boat.... <br /><br />the Only Safe use for this hull is as a Flower Pot in the frontyard.......<br /><br />When, not If the transom Snaps Off the hull, i'd be more concerned about that 9.5hp motor RUNNING in my Lap, rather than how far i have to Swim to shore.....<br /><br />IMO, that hull is a Death Trap....

D

DJ

TLegendGS,<br /><br />I have some serious reservations about your project. What concerns me most is, what is (if anything) under the floor. You can reconstruct the floor all you want, but if there is no support between the hull and floor, it will break again. With potentially disasterous results.<br /><br />If I were getting into this, here is what I would do. And even at this, you may not be able to save it.<br /><br />1. Remove the entire floor. I cannot tell from your pictures if the floor and inner deck are removeable. Try removing a section of the rub rail and see if there are rivets or screws behind it. If so, remove them and seperate the two halves (upper and lower) of the boat. If not, cut around the edges with a saw. A Dremel too will do it, albeit-slow. Some like to use a chainsaw. Have to admit, it works well!<br /><br />2. I am assuming that there is foam between. If so, it's shot. It has to go. You can replace with "Great Stuff". Available at home improvemment centers. If there are wood stringers, these can be replaced.<br /><br />3. Repair the floor off of the boat. If you want to try and save some of the non skid, repair it from the bottom. Use lots of f-glass mat laid in diagonals and epoxy.<br /><br />4. Reverse the disassembly process.

crab bait

Captain

his boat is N O T fiberglass ..<br /><br />it's a plastic covered foam boat..<br /><br />the plastic only last so many years an the uv gets to it ,, BAD...<br /><br />it's basicaly ,, an inexpensive boat.. the kind a novice would buy ..<br /><br />the only way i'd fix it .. would be to cut a 2 foot long by 1 3/4 wide notch in the hull at the middle point of the crack/boat.. go half way deep of the hull's thickness.. do this on either side of the crack..<br /><br />so you'll have a 4 foot by 1 3/4 notch half way thru the hull at the center/middle of the boat..<br /><br />it would be very easy to do . take less then a hour to do.. a 'SAWS-ALL' would be the ticket...<br /><br />scribe & saw your outside lines (1 3/4 in) then saw many times in-between the lines.. the bust / chisle/scewdriver out the scrap waste.. <br /><br />easy to do ,,cause it's foam..<br /><br />just make sure you don't go deeper the half way thru the hull..<br /><br />then take a doug fir or hem fir 2 x 4 epoxy it up .. then mix up more epoxy add some fillers.. silica & milled fiberglass power .. <br /><br />don't make putty <br /><br />but like a wet pancake consistency..<br /><br />pour some in the notch .. lay/splather some on the 2x4 good .. an install the 2x4 <br /><br />if'n you can get more wood in the notch the better..<br /><br />if the 2x4 is to thick ,, say,,, should be a 2x2... rip it.. or ask a neighbor or lumber yard too do...<br /><br />after that,,, proceced as per what i said in the upper post... <br /><br />you should be just fine..<br /><br />if this works for you .. <br />than i'd do the same TWICE again <br />so you'd have it done in THREE PLACES <br /><br />^ ^ ^ ....

TLegendGS

Cadet

Thanks for all the info. I didnt realize it was that bad. I took my leaking inflatable out to the ocean this Sat. and with all this you guys are telling me. Im not sure if it will hold up. Ive decided just to sell it and concentrate on the last two weeks of school I have left. If anyone is intrested in this please let me know. Thanks again...

Bondo

Staff member

Any Gardeners in the House..?????<br />For Sale; 1 large Planter........ Cheap !!!!