bending aluminum angle

texsguns

Seaman
folks i really need ya help on this one ive lined the top portions of my aluminum boat w/1/4 inch oak wood (sheets) and triple stain it in a mohagany .looks sweet old alunimum trim was scrapped due to damaged ive gone everywhere in town and looked on web but cant find nuthing that will replace it that looks original so i would like to simply use 1 1/4 inch aluminum angle to sandwich the wood on top then rivits fastened to wall of boat HERES MY PROB ANGLE LOOSES IT SHAPE AROUND BOW WHERE BEND IS . anyone gots any ideas on how to accomplish this .yesterday i put the propane torch to a scrap piece and it softened it up but does heat weaken aluminum??? thanks folks

D

DJ

Re: bending aluminum angle

TEXSGUNS,<br /><br />I think I know what you're trying to do.<br /><br />Heat can weaken AL somewhat. If anything, it makes it dull (changes anodization somewhat)<br /><br />However,I believe what you are trying to do is more cosmetic than structural. If that's the case, you should be OK.

texsguns

Seaman

actually the angle would be holding top to walls of boat LMV

D

DJ

TEXSGUNS,<br /><br />AHHH, I see. In other words, it's the rub rail.<br /><br />Since it's not going to be stressed in the verical plane, I'd say you're OK. If I'm picturing this right, you will bolt/rivet the hull sides to one side and the top cap to the other? Right?<br /><br />If that's the case, it would be fine.

Homerr

Commander

TG:<br /><br />If you want an 'end-to-all-worry' answer to your question, I may be able to help but I need a few things from you first.<br /><br />The place I work has a couple of good structual engineers. They can tell you stuff right down to it's molecular properties.<br /><br />If you have the TYPE of aluminum (6061-T6 for example), a picture, and a brief description of what you're trying to do, I can get them to take a look.<br /><br />Yea, probably over-kill, but I do have those resources available. I work in aluminum almost 99% of the time.<br /><br />H.

texsguns

Seaman

ORIGINAL angle (trimpiece) after fastened together. TOP TO WALLS keeps walls from being flimsy sorry folks i dont explain things in boat lanuage ok to me it does have stress how much ummmm no freaking idea lol ok lets say its still ok to heat so as to bend how the hech do i keep it from warping upwards???

Bondo

Staff member

I Think i can see what you're trying to do... It Ain't going to happen... the excess metal Has to go somewhere... even if you could heat it to bend it like steel,which you can't, you would get bumps, instead of the bow-up...<br />Search on-line for Gunwale, Rubrail, etc... 1 1/4" angle aluminum will Not bend the way you want...

cimmaronjim

Seaman Apprentice

Aout the only way you will get a radius in aluminum angle is to cut V-notches into one leg of the angle. You could then rivet a cap cut out of wider flat stock to the notched side.

texsguns

Seaman

sooooooooo im guessing the other original pieces that do have rather wicked turns on em were done with machines since the aluminum kept its shape???

Bondo

Staff member

i'd guess that the originals were, extrutions run thruogh a set of bending wheels a time or two.... i've tried.. you Ain't going to bend 1 1/4" angle, Any metal with brut force..