Pics of my construction

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I haven't posted in a while...I've been quietly lurking. I finally got a week of vacation and have been busy at work putting in a new transom, strings, and soon floor. here's a link to my pics.<br /><br /> outonbizniz's boat pics

D

DJ

Re: Pics of my construction

Hey outonbizniz,<br /><br />LOOKING GOOD! Great job!<br /><br />Is that a G-3?

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Dr.,<br />Thanks!<br />It's a 1967 Glastron Jetfilte...V-143. It's not the biggest boat at just over 14 foot...But my calculations say that with the max motor it will take 65 HP..I should make 50MPH. I think that's a bit fast on the water...but it's always nice know the speed is there if you need it.<br />Halfway done with the stringers..Have to go out and aquire more resin hardener. You have to use a bit more up here in Maine (there's snow on the ground already).

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Howdy there Outonbizniz:...<br /><br />Looks Like shes running a hundred Mph just sittin' still.... :D <br /><br />Back on the water next season.... Enjoy....

crab bait

Captain

VERY GOOD ...good job...<br /><br />neat little web site you have there...!!<br /><br />what kinda glue did you use..???

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the responses.<br />Crab...the site is a free picture hosting site and quite easy to use.<br /><br />I decided early on in this project to try to keep the cost as low as possible...thus allowing me to complete it. I wish I could say that I used Marine Grade ply and Epoxy resin...but i can't. <br />I used AC exterior grade ply and Polyester resin. I has saved me quite a bit in the project(I'll probably be sorry in a couple of years). <br />Oh, and I added 5 more pics to the construction area. Nothing shocking...just completed glassing in the stringers and the transom. Floor is tomorrow!

SHelms8844

Cadet

Hey Outonbizniz- Looks Great! I am getting ready to do about the same to a 17ft I/O. Didnt look like you blocked up the boat at all except for leaving it on the trailer. I have been a little anal about making sure I do mine without losing the shape. Did you have any problems with it since you took out floor, stringers, and transom all at once? I would be interested in your reply! Thanks! Look forward to more pics!

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Outonbizniz, It looks like a lot of work. Excellent job.

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shelms,<br /><br />I left the kick guard in. That helped hold the shape pretty well. I also made several cardboard templates to check to make sure the boat reamined true (not exactly accurate instruments, but hey close enough). She'll probably run in circles with the wheel straight!!!<br /><br />I cut the stringers out one day and replaced them the next. You do have to be extremely careful not to lean on the sides. I should have put it on blocks..but I'm just lazy that way.<br /><br />The boat is also a late 60s model...I've read that they used more glass back before the oil embargo.

ScottRock

Cadet

Thanks Todd-I appreciate the reply...cant wait to see the floor pics!

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey All..<br />The floor is finished. Well, except for clean-up. I'm going to give all the glass a day to dry and myself a day to rest tomorrow. Then i hope to paint the inside and flip the hull (that should be fun) so that I can prep/repair the bottom and get ready for paint. That will also give me a chance to over haul the trailer.<br /><br />I have posted todays pics in a new album at the same link as above under Construction II.

pra100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am working on a simular type project,except bigger and newer boat,19 ft.Did you have any problem with temp.for your curing or is your garage heated?Looking at your pics have given me ideas on mine. :)

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Phillip...I had to mix the resin "hot" meaning the tube of catalyst the came with each gallon wasn't enough. I had to buy an extra or two. Also, before glassing anything I warmed up the garage with a space heater. It didn't help much but it probably made it 45 degrees in there. I'm going to purchase a much better heater...like a rediheater before I start to paint the hull. The cold actually worked to my advantage as I usually mix my resin too hot and it cures before fully binding to the plywood. Also, you cannot be in any rush as the cure times are much longer.

Bondo

Staff member

Todd,<br /> Love your boat....... i've still got both of my Jetflites....#1 is a 1961... Code named "Weee Gohne".. it last ran years ago, with an 80hp merc. on it... it's in pretty rough shape now, but i'm thinking it may live again... sort of an on going project, just not on the front burner at the moment... #2 is a 1967.. code named "006 Licensed to Thrill".... it last ran a couple years ago with a 135hp, " tower of power" merc.... #5 rod came through the block.. that really slowed that ride down abit... i'm looking for a 150hp powerhead for that motor now....<br /> It's a Great little hull.... Way ahead of it's time... rated for 65hp... it handles quite well with more..(though abit of chine walk in the mid 60s). the extra weight of your OMC will be a factor... <br /><br />Good Luck... you're going to love it when your done.....

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bond-0,<br />I've decided against using that old 62 75HP rude. I think I'm going to buy a new 4 cycle 65 horse.

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I have finished sanding the new floor and have painted all interior areas that won't have carpet. Last night i flipped the hull over onto saw horses. I was able to do it in the garage using a rope tied to the bow eye and one to a eyebolt i put through the motor well drain hole. At 66" wide it just barely cleared the ceiling. I'll post pics shortly