blocking up boat

SHelms8844

Cadet
I am starting to replace my floor,most likely the stringers, and transom. I bought a good book about these repairs and it is telling me that I dont need to block up the hull...just do it on the trailer. I have a 17ft Galaxy I/O. I took it to a repair shop to get there two cents and they said I dont need to pull off the top of the boat but if I replace the floor I need to block up the boat even if it is on the trailer so it doesnt lose its shape. The book says if I only replace one stringer at a time the boat wont lose its shape(especially if I leave the top of the boat on.) Any ideas? Sorry for the long post.

crab bait

Captain
Re: blocking up boat

leave on the trailer & replace one atta time sound rite to me..<br /><br />it's your boat .. it's your project.. do as you see fit.. you can always error on 'overkill'.. cut a few 2x4's & prop up here & there while still on the trailer..<br /><br />good luck

SHelms8844

Cadet

Thanks Crab! Gotta 'nother question. If I tear out the floor, tear out the transom and re-do that first, will it matter that neither stringer is attached to the transom or is it enough that they are bonded to the floor? Guess I am wondering what is keeping the boats shape? The fact that they are attached to the floor or that they attach to the transom? :confused:

Homerr

Commander

WOW! And I thought I had a project...<br /><br />I'm only doing one side at a time. Big pain in the arse, but I don't want things popping apart either. <br />Besides, (in my case) the other side gives me a good idea what everything is suppose to look like. My stringers and floor were completely rotted. I basically started from scratch.<br /><br />Mine is on a roller type trailer, and it seems to be supporting the boat well. I leveled everything the best I could. <br /><br />I had a builder come look at the boat, and he suggested right off that I take it off the trailer and block it up, but that of course was easier said than done.<br /><br />I'm not real worried about it. It's a big, slow fishing boat. If I get a hook in it, or some other flaw, I doubt I will even notice.<br /><br />H.

SHelms8844

Cadet

Homerr- I'd really like to check out your project but I cant seem to get the link to work...any suggestions? Are you also replacing your transom? I am probably over worrying about this but I'm not made of money and dont want to mess up the shape of the boat. I've had plenty of people tell me to just go out and get another boat but that just isnt an option. Thanks for the replies.

crab bait

Captain

i can't 'link up either..<br /><br />yes ..!! glue & screw everthin' to everthin'..!!<br /><br />mite want to temp. screw a piece of lumber when you remove the transome.. screw a piece across the top back to act as parcial transome to hold together..<br /><br />the best way to see if 'shape' has been violated,, is to lay a stra8 2x4 across the 'sheer' [ gunales/top sides] at mid-ship ... get back an 'eyeball' the 2x4 with the temp. transome .. you'll be surprized how you an pick-up a millimeter differance...<br />an prop or do what ya gotta to get the shape back...<br /><br />do this evertime you get set to permenant somethin'to the boat...

Homerr

Commander

Try this guys:<br /><br />www.angelfire.com/trek/deerslayer/<br /><br />If the link doesn't work, try to cut and paste into your browser.<br /><br />No, I'm not replacing transom (thank God)<br />That's about the only thing that survived. You can see in the pictures that the transom is in good shape. It was also about the only thing completely sealed (except for a few places behind a glassed floor)<br /><br />I'm pretty sure the previous owner left the boat sit uncovered with water in it. The stringers and floor took the beating. <br /><br />The Starboard stringers and floor was the biggest mess. The flybridge had a pipe coming down from it (steering, cables, etc...) that goes into a cabinet behind the drivers seat.<br />This pipe sat floor level in the flybridge.<br />Well, when it rains, guess where all the water went? Straight on to the untreated cabin floor!<br /><br />The manufacturer never bothered to run that pipe straight through to the bilge. All they had to do is put a 'T' in the line for the control guts and let the rest of the pipe go through the floor into the bilge. Probably a $3.00 addition.<br /><br />But what do I know..I'm just a consumer...<br /><br />Bait...<br /><br />Is there such a thing as a 'straight' 2 x4 !<br /><br />LOL!<br /><br />I hardly see those anymore.<br /><br />H.

SHelms8844

Cadet

Ok-I guess I am a little slow. Crab, when you say to screw a 2x4 to the top back of boat(man I feel stupid)do you mean to the sides to?? I get it if you mean to just use it as a guide but if I am going to use it as support for the shape, shouldnt it also be attached to the sides too? I am starting to think I need to quit thinking and just slowly start taking it apart and see what happens. :mad:

crab bait

Captain

yeah,, your rite ..!! a stra8 2x4 is a rarity for sure..'bout as rare as a stra8 hairdesser.. <br /><br />8844.. not to yell at ya .. but it's rite there in writin'.. but it's human nature to read somethin' to fast or hit on every other word..or to read it with your own words rather then what words the poster wrote...<br /><br />lay a 2x4 across the sheer.. just lay it across the boat... then get back ,, stoop down or keel an 'eyeball' the top of transome with the 2x4... if the air gap is even ,,, then it's even... if the gap is cocked,, then it's racked...<br /><br />check this alot & often... <br /><br />cause once things are glued in place.. it can't be unracked...<br /><br />the 'lumber' is a piece of wood screwed in place temporarily.. where your transome was.. { remember ,, your gonna remove & replace it.. } but in the meanwhile screw in a temporary piece of lumber in it's place.. instead of abortrailily screw on a piece of lumber.. screw lumber so it's flush with to top as where the transome will be.. to hold the boat together & to use it for the 'eyeballin'...<br /><br />since it's only a temp. [temporary PARCIAL transome ] you can do your stringers .. no need for perfect measurements on length.. just let the stringers run long [ over hang] cause there's no transome to hinder you ,, only a PARCIAL transome cut them to lenght latter..