How much glass do you think I should use here

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How much glass do you think I should use here

Only to beat the horse a little harder,.... There's No has-mat on epoxy...poly,yes... thinners, yes.. epoxy,+ harder, No has-mat.. buy it on line... <br />too late for This project anyway.... you'll be Fine... just keep Sanding.....<br /> <br />Back to your questions; I'm with crabbait... more is better.... But, i usually run my top layer Over the lower layer.... 6" over 4", rather than 4" over 6"..... you don't want to "stack" your cloth ends.. stagger them....

Homerr

Commander

I was going to ask the same thing Snapper...<br /><br />If you can put Epoxy over Poly, why couldn't you seal it all up with it?<br /><br />Also, I'm not going to defend Poly. We all know it doesn't have the bond qualities as epoxy...<br />It's just cheaper and easier for me to get poly local. <br />Besides, I don't plan on keeping this boat forever. I got it cheap enough to fix and sell for a profit.<br /><br />I know water will eventually find it's way in, it always does. Ok, so could you treat the bilge from time to time with something?<br />I don't know about you guys, but I don't let the bilge sit with water for any length of time. <br />I'm gonna run a 2000 gph pump in the back, and put another up front just because I can!<br /><br />H.

crab bait

Captain

i guess it would work.. it depends on how thuro you are.. and how thuro you are at removin' all the poly wax..<br />still ain't the rite way to do things,, but should work..<br /><br />a rule for life;; <br /><br />you can't polish up a turd..<br /><br />tomatoe to MOT toe<br /> <br />if you go 6 over 4,, there will be a definate hidden ugly ridge line from the trapped 4 inch piece underneath...that could never be removed cause it's under the 6 inch piece .. it would be impossiable to feather edge it.. <br /><br />they still are 'staggered' edges.. the 6 inch piece edge is an inch above the 4 inch edge 6 - 4 = 2 .. an inch shorter on each side/edge.. 1 + 1 = 2

Homerr

Commander

Thanks again for all your help Bait.<br /><br />I don't care what the end result looks like, as all of this mess will be below deck and under the floor anyways.<br /><br />If I can get away with mixing up some epoxy gel-coat for a final sealz-all, it would certainly help.<br /><br />Poly wax? Are you talking about the 'blush' the poly leaves behind? <br /><br />Having not worked with epoxy, wouldn't it just bond right to hardened poly?<br /><br />H.

crab bait

Captain

poly wax an 'blush' is the same.<br /><br />can't really answser your second question.<br />but i can say, in order to apply another coat of EPOXY to EPOXY,,, any amine 'blush' must be removed in order for a bond.. <br /><br />not so much a problem with that much anymore.. the higher the ratio with epoxy the more amine blush [ wax ].. 5 to 1 mix ,, lots a wax.. 2 to 1 / 1 to 1 less wax produced.. <br /><br />but with polyester resin ,, it's always waxy... that's what makes it cure...

Homerr

Commander

Gotcha...<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />H.

Bondo

Staff member

H,<br />yes, epoxy can be applied over poly.... But, it must be Fully cured.. then preped, sanded, washed etc.... the blush is the problem,+ must be gone.... the epoxy could have color added, to give the gelcoat effect....

Homerr

Commander

I don't remember what i used while working at Marlin boats, but I use to mix up gelcoat.<br /><br />Seems like it was resin, beige, grey (or other coloring) and wax. This of course was painted on all exposed wood and glass.<br /><br />I don't think this was epoxy however. Marlin didn't spend a lot of time sealing.<br /><br />I liek the idea of a final seal coat, but a 26ft. boat has A LOT of surface to sand! YUK!<br /><br />On the other hand, couldn't you just seal around the stringers and call it good?<br /><br />Thanks Bondo.<br /><br />H.

BillP

Captain

Homerr,<br />Poly LAMINATING resin stays tacky for weeks...if still tacky you do NOT (cannot)have to sand between coats for bonding purposes. You can add a wax "modifier" (we called it "Mod C") to make it tackless and sandable just like finishing resin. The last coat on a glass job is typically a fill coat and is done with the modifier to give a tackless topcoat where necessary.<br /><br />Poly FINISHING resin has wax in it and will harden quickly with the wax rising to the surface. This type resin needs sanding or wiping with styrene (or both) to remove the wax. Finishing resin is more expensive than laminating resin. <br /><br />Epoxy will bond over polyester resin but polyester resin will not bond over epoxy.<br /><br />Epoxy resin can be catalized heavier and made to kick faster...done this many times with different brands and different ratios. It may change the strength but I couldn't tell. I normally heat the resin or use a heat gun if wanting to kick it faster. <br /><br />Instead of using epoxy to seal the outer coat, consider using vinyl ester. It is cheaper and will seal. I really don't think osmosis is that big of deal on a trailer boat that the bilge stays dry 99% of the time anyway.

Homerr

Commander

Thanks Bill...<br /><br />I'll look into that.<br /><br />I know there aren't many poly fans out here, but I agree... I'm fairly anal about keeping the boat dry anyways.<br /><br />I might moore it in the summer for 2 to 3 months, but the rest of the time it will probably be on the trailer.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />H.