How much glass do you think I should use here

Homerr

Commander
How many drain holes/notches should I put in the sides of the stringers?<br /><br />The original stringers had notches cut at the transom end, and the outer stringer had a fairly large notch cut about mid-ship. The inner stringer had no drains cut (except for the transom end)<br /><br />I have the oportunity here to really make this thing drain, as this is my goal. I don't want a repeat of the mess I have now.<br /><br />Should I stick to factory specs or? And why didn't the inner stringer have any drains cut?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />H.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How much glass do you think I should use here

In building my boat I have tried to make it so that any water that did get in could drain all the way to the bottom of the bilge. Notches, drains and so forth are just big enough to allow this to happen.<br /><br />Once the water does drain to the bottom of the bilge it can be pumped out by the bilge pump.<br /><br />As for the rest, I am unsure. I'd like to hear what others have to say though.<br /><br />- bayman

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

Homerr,<br />I wouldn't put any drain holes in the sides of the stringers ( why take any extra chances of water getting into the stringers?). I'd only put drain holes at the rear end of the stringers where they meet the transom. I assume you have bulkeads/cross members, you just put drain holes in them where they meet the stringers. In other words just let everything drain all the way to the back of the boat, and then down in to the bilge area. Of course you are going to make extra sure these limber holes are properly sealed to keep the water from penetrating and rotting out your new stringers. ;) <br />I just checked out your project boat. Wow that's quite a project. I don't know if you've glassed those stringers in yet, but it looks to me like you'll have trouble glassing over the tops of those stringers as far as getting out air bubbles and getting the glass to lay properly. I think you should try running a router along the tops of the stringers to give more of a radius for the glass to lay over. It should make it easier glassing.

Homerr

Commander

Thanks for the replies...<br /><br />No, I haven't glassed them in yet. I need to coat them with resin first, and I was waiting to hear what this forum had to say on the drain holes.<br /><br />I also agree that cutting any more holes increases the chance of rotting. I would rather not cut any if it's not necessary. I've only cut them at the backs of the stringers.<br /><br />Good Idea on the radius on the tops of stringers. Yes, I am aware that the glass does not like a 90 deg. angle.<br /><br />What degree of cut do you think would be good?<br /><br />I think I can get a router at work. We have one laying around somewhere.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />H.

crab bait

Captain

tell me..whats/is the purpose for 'glassin' in the stringers' ..??

Homerr

Commander

Good Point 'Bait.<br /><br />I am only going to completely cover the bilge area, NOT the entire stringer. I'm only going about half way. <br /><br />I figure if the factory ones lasted this long, then my 'overkill' job should last forever!<br /><br />The factory 'half-way' chopper job was still very strong. I see no need to cover the entire stringer.<br /><br />Bait,<br /><br />You have any ideas on the drain notches?<br /><br />I have them cut in the backs of the stringers at the transom. Should I put any more in?<br /><br />H.

crab bait

Captain

lumber holes i think are worthless an useless.. but NOTCHES ,,, that's a different story... i'd put alotta notches in the stringer bottoms where the bottom edge glues to the hull... [ use disgrestion].. <br />water can flow unimpedaly..<br /><br />good luck on your project.. a major undertakin' to be sure... but you shoulda use epoxy imho...

Bondo

Staff member

Last time i did what your doing, I bedded little pieces of 1" pvc tubing into the(i think More, is Better) notches to seal everything together...cut the tubing long enough to pass thru the wood + 1",(1/2" each side for the filet) then cut lenthwise... bedded the whole thing in a mayonase mix... then glassed over... All Epoxy... No polyester.... a 3/8s or 1/2" radius works pretty good on all the wood corners... filet the inside corners with a peanut butter mix.....<br /><br />Good luck with the project..... It Looks like your having Fun....

Homerr

Commander

Thanks Bondo...<br /><br />That's a great idea. A half dozen each stringer should do nicely. <br /><br />I don't like the idea of any more cuts than necessary in the stringers, but I also don't want any water sitting anywhere. <br />The boat will probably spend most of its time sitting fairly level (trolling and such) so if I only had drains at the back of the stringers, water wouldn't be able to drain very often.<br /><br />Thank you,<br /><br />H.

Homerr

Commander

SUCCESS!<br /><br />I put my drain (notches) in, and coated the stringers with resin (wow..does the smell bring back my Marlin Boat days...)<br /><br />Bait,<br /><br />I think you reccommended 2 coats of resin?<br /><br />I put a THICK coat of resin on the stringers. I stunk the garage and house up pretty good. Made the wife scowl a bit... LOL!<br /><br />Should I still put another one on?<br /><br />Also, I need to put the engine 'blocks' on the stringers. The original ones was nailed in place. (bad...rust) <br />What do you think of screws? And what type should I use? I was thinking of some decking screws, as I think they are zinc.<br /><br />Thoughts?<br /><br />Thanks all,<br /><br />H.

D

DJ

Homerr,<br /><br />Use stainless screws. The decking screws are zinc plated.

D

DJ

Homerr,<br /><br />For some reason, your link to your pic's. has an endless stream of spam attached to it. :confused:

Homerr

Commander

Thanks John,<br /><br />I found the stainless screws. I didn't even know they made them! They are expensive, but worth it.<br /><br />The site my web page is on is a free site, so you will probably get the pop-ups and such. I don't use the site very much. It seems I get more and more crap (spam) every day from it. You should see the e-mail at the site! I bet I get 50+ spam mails per day. They offer a way to block them, but it doesn't work very well. <br /><br />If I could turn the spam crap off, I would!<br /><br />I would host my own website off my server, but I'm on satellite internet. I have very fast downloads, but my uploads are horrible. You'd be waiting forever to download pics!<br /><br />I'm going to look into a better site. Any suggestions?<br /><br />Sorry for the spam stuff. I hate it too.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />H.

Homerr

Commander

I just sealed my stringers. They have been curing for about 3 days now, in fairly ccol weather (below 60)in my garage.<br /><br />Will I need to sand (rough-up) the stringers before I glass them in the boat?<br /><br />I was reading somewhere about sanding between coats if it has been more than 24 hrs. since I put the resin on. Something about 'maximum bond' <br /><br />Are they refering to the outside (gelcoat) ?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />H.

D

DJ

Homerr,<br /><br />Sanding (with a coarse grit, say 80) would be a good idea. You only need to sand the edge that will come in contact with other fiberglass.

Homerr

Commander

Busy day!<br /><br />Ok, I got my engine blocks laminated to the main stringer. Now it's out to the boat.<br /><br />I put a oil-type heater out there, so it should be nice and toasty by tomorrow.<br /><br />I think I will try and at least put the stringers in a bed of filler and make my fillets tomorrow.<br /><br />After the fillets are in, should I immediately lay the glass in, or should I wait a day or so?<br />I don't want to sand anymore!<br /><br />I'm worried about that 24hr. 'bond' window.<br /><br />It's fairly cool here now, about 50 deg outside. hope this doesn't cause problems.<br /><br />H.

Bondo

Staff member

Homerr,<br />it seems you are using polyester resin, rather than epoxy.......(Bad Smells)<br />polyester is not a very good glue, that,+ the blush is why you must sand, when left alone too long.... poly works Best when done in One continues prosess.. non-stop... when one batch starts to set up, lay on another one... the more wet/ tacky joints you have the better... if a part is past the tacky stage, it definitely should be course sanded...<br />In cold weather, poly, unlike epoxy, Can be speeded up with extra hardener by increasing the mix ratio.....If or when needed... but keep in mind, once the methel ethel is added, no matter how Little, the resin Will harden... the question is how long will it take.... the cold temps can be used to your advantage sometimes to slow the cure...(less sanding)

Homerr

Commander

Yes, Bondo, unfortunately I'm using poly. <br />Nobody in my area has Epoxy in bulk, and I'm on a budget. I have no idea how much resin I'll be needing, and the thought of $20 haz-mat fees every time I order 5 gallons at a time plus the shipping... Well, you get the idea.<br />Ther is a few local places that carry the poly in bulk. No shipping saves me quite a bit.<br /><br />QUESTION:<br /><br />I'm using 17/08 BIAXIAL to tie the stringers in.<br />How much do you think I should use?<br /><br />I cut 12" strips appox. 6 ft. long. These run about 6" up each side of the stringers, the remainder on the floor. <br />YES, over-kill but what the hey...<br /><br />Will one pass of this be enough? Should I run another pass?<br />I ran glass over the top of the stringers in the bilge area. (2 each side, 1 cap)<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />H.

crab bait

Captain

the bi-axial only works if in two layers.. only need a few inches on either side of a joint to work.. go with a 6 inch run then a 4 inch run over top.. as per to better feather edge it if you want to or need to.. <br /><br />i wrote this numerous times ..<br /><br />polyester resin is not a glue an truley does not permenately bond to wood.. also it's very brittle when used as a 'false glue' an is the devil in disguse for the rigors of a boat..<br /><br />also,, polyester resin does not stave off rot at all.. an lets rot casusin' water moleucles pass rite thru as a sive...

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Crab Bait: What would your opinion be on using epoxy as a barrier coat to seal all the areas after all the polyester work was finished?... Think it would do any good to slow the rot causing water molecules?... I've thought about doing it on my project...<br /><br />Homerr: I know you already brought it up but If I were you I would lay at least two layers of the 17/08 completely over the stringer not just up the sides... My thought being to positively tie the stringers in with the hull since as Crab Bait noted polyester is not a glue and does not stick to wood perminantly...