Help with hole in fiberglass boat

pra100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I posted this in another forum and they suggested I try here.I have a 19' Mariah open bow.I have a hole about 1/8" wide by about 7" long in hull.It is just in front of were carpeted runners on trailer is,therefore my repair must be strong.I can get to it with no problem from inside,infact I can look down through it.This is well below water line about 12" up from V,just about middle of boat lenght wize.I am at a lost as how to repair.I thought of cleaning it up from inside then mating and glassing it,from inside,then use something like a gelcoat repair from the outside,or one of the paste repairs.<br />Please give me some thoughts on this.I am just sick over this.<br />Thanks in advance

Schep

Cadet
Re: Help with hole in fiberglass boat

ok phil, you say you can get at it from the inside, cool. you need to sand an area around 2-3" from the crack or opening, the whole length. if the glass of the hull is matted or coarse, ruff it up as best you can, new resin will not adhere to un sanded surface. then "V" out the hole or opening a slight bit, not making the exhisting hole bigger. "evercoat" makes a poweder material you add to the resin to form a paste. mix some of this with hardner and apply it into the crack or opening, first you might want to cover the opening with masking tape from the outside so the paste does not drip through. when this has hardened, sand it down and for extra strength sand out another area again 2-3" wider then before and lay a piece of glass matt down with some resin, again making sure the area the glass and resin are going on are scuffed good. when this is hard your all set from inside. as far as outside, get a gell coat kit with color additives and finish up the out side area to match as best as possible. if you have cleaned and sanded the area inside the hull good, this will be as strong as the hull itself

pra100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Schep.This is kinda what I had thought to do.I see evercoat makes several different additives so will have to decide which.In the city were I live,Okla.City there aren't any marine suppliers that carry anything like this so I have to order everthing.I can buy poly resin here but not epoxy resin.So will have to make do.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Think you might need the epoxy resin. West System is one manufacturer of the stuff. And they sell the thickening agent you will need also. Use the right stuff. And good luck. :)

Homerr

Commander

When I worked for Marlin boats, we occassionally had a crack in the glass. It was usually superficial, but sometimes they would run fairly deep.<br /><br />To stop it, we would drill a small hole at each end of the crack to relieve it so the crack wouldn't spread. We would then fill the hole (and crack)<br /><br />Don't know the 'engineering' fact on this, but it seemed to work.<br /><br />Has the crack continued to spread?<br /><br />Don't know if this would benifit you here, but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in.<br /><br />Oh, and remember..chopped glass is your FRIEND.<br />You can fix anything with that stuff!<br /><br />Oh, the stories I can tell about Marlin and chopped glass.... LOL<br /><br />H.

Bondo

Staff member

Phil,<br /> Do what Schep says, But with epoxy... buy it on-line, mailorder, whatever...No has-mat fees on epoxy.. i'm Sure it can be bought in Okie City..... Epoxy is less Toxic, less Flamable,+ Doesn't Stink.!! Epoxy Is a Glue,..it's Many times Stronger,... it Doesn't pass water,.. it's a Better barrier coat than Gelcoat,...on the bottom, if you tape it well,then color the FIRST batch of resin,all you'll have to do is sand the outside a little bit,...