My new woody needs a shine.

dpropson

Seaman
I just bought a new woody that I'll need to refinish. I have heard mention of a West or Western technique? Anyone heard of this? Also, if you can offer any hints, books, suggestions, whatever as it pertains to refinishing a wood boat, I would greatly appreciate that.<br /><br />Dennis

crab bait

Captain
Re: My new woody needs a shine.

if your gonna varnish use only EPAPHANES brand..get at west marine.. <br /><br />believe me,, nuthin' comes close...

dpropson

Seaman

Thanks, Crab. Does they have a website?<br /><br />Dennis

dpropson

Seaman

Crab,<br /><br />Found the site, found the varnish. Thanks. What do you prefer the "Rubbed Effect" or the "Clear High-Gloss" from EPAPHANES?<br /><br />Dennis

crab bait

Captain

if your gonna be a bear,,, be a grizzly..<br /><br />high gloss.!!

dpropson

Seaman

And if you're going to be a dog, stay away from my sister. Woofity-woof.<br /><br />I'll go big. Thanks.<br /><br />Dennis

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

A few years ago, I decided to try epoxy saturating a 1969 wooden skiff. It was a lot of work stripping the old finish off, but the results made it worth it. Start by sending off for the West System manual that you'll see advertised in boating magazines. They also have literature on repairing and restoring wooden boats.

dpropson

Seaman

Thanks, I'll look into that. My new boat is pretty much stipped, so that is not a concern.<br /><br />Dennis

dpropson

Seaman

Hey Jack Shellac,<br /><br />I've ordered the West Marine manual so that might answer my question but, if you could, describe what is means to "epoxy Saturate" a wood boat. Why do it and why not?<br /><br />Dennis

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

dpropson: Sorry about the delay in replying, but I didn't realize there was another post until just now.In epoxy saturating, you apply thin epoxy to bare, dry wood until it stops soaking it up. This completely waterproofs it and makes it impervious to rot, delaminating, etc. caused by water. You can apply it by brush or roller depending on the surface. The West System book outlines the method much better than I can. You still have to keep it painted or varnished with a UV inhibitor, not because it will get wet, but because sunlight attacks epoxy. It's fairly easy to do if you're starting with unfinished wood and epoxy is a tough finish. Hope this is useful to you.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

West System does have a good list of manuals on this stuff:<br /><br />West System Manuals<br /><br />I'd recommend reading them before doing a project because the chemicals are not cheap:<br /><br />West System Products<br /><br />- bayman

dpropson

Seaman

Thanks guys.<br /><br />I'm a bit confused. I have the manual. I understand the process (I think). I have heard rave reviews and I've heard words of caution. What is the consensus? West or not to West? Should I go with the old fashion method of several coats of varnish instead? Crab tells me that Epiphines is the varnish to get. Can't argue that, seems like a rock-solid choice. Do I use it on top of the West expoxy saturation method? Hmmm?

mrboyd

Cadet

Some more about West. If you epoxy/glass the bottom of your WOODY, aren't you destroying the feel of the wooden boat I've heard so much about? Also, those boats were never intended to support a plastic bottom. Makes sense that you could DESTROY the framework of the woody putting on abottom that doesn't give. Last thing, if moisture does get inside the epoxy, then what? You think you had rot before. Just some thoughts. I'm redoing a 54 CC Riviera.

mrboyd

Cadet

Some more about West. If you epoxy/glass the bottom of your WOODY, aren't you destroying the feel of the wooden boat I've heard so much about? Also, those boats were never intended to support a plastic bottom. Makes sense that you could DESTROY the framework of the woody putting on abottom that doesn't give. Last thing, if moisture does get inside the epoxy, then what? You think you had rot before. Just some thoughts. I'm redoing a 54 CC Riviera.

dpropson

Seaman

And I take it, Box, that you are not going to epoxy saturate the '54 Riviera? I'm new to this stuff and it is strange that there are such varied opinions about this method. Would you epoxy the top and leave the bottom as painted wood? I guess I'll just go with the old-fashioned method and slap a half dozen coats of top-shelf varnish on her.<br /><br />Dennis