rub rail

cimmaronjim

Seaman Apprentice
I am rebuilding an old 14ft Appleby Aluminum boat<br />Previous owner butchered it installing full length decks and such. I have figured out how to do almost all of what I need to repair this boat except for the rubrail, or bump strip, whatever its called. one side in particular is beyond repair, Any ideas on how I can get or make a replacement?

texsguns

Seaman
Re: rub rail

hey there so thats what there called lol im rebuilding a 58 rexcraft too has what im assuming is the same thing (rubrails ) mine also has fins at rear bascally built the same wayas one of my damaged (fins) anyways i went to a local sheetmetal shop and there willing to make me a new one for bout 100.00 so try your local sheetmetal shop if all else fails good luck partner aka texsguns

cimmaronjim

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I'll check it out. My original is a piece of extruded aluminum, sort of like a modified hat channel with a flange for rivets, not sure how these others would mount

fredt

Recruit

check with other manufacturers of aluminum boats that are in buisiness,(starcraft,lowe,etc) quite often their parts will work o are in fact identical.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Many people use pipes for rub rails. You can cut them in half etc... Since they make pipes out of just about anything you can generally get it made from the material you want for a very low price.<br /><br />A few boat building books out there talk about doing this, like this one which I recommend for those who are into metal boats:<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?store_id=100&prod_id=12846

cimmaronjim

Seaman Apprentice

Say bayman, How about naming that book, your link came up with no book listed. <br /><br /> <br />Fredt I'll try that, thanks!