need tips on bending stainless steel tubing

jakruem

Recruit
I am in the process of restoring a 1966 14ft McKee Craft. I want to put a new<br />stainless steel deck rail across the front of it. I would like to shape the<br />tubing myself to save money. Does anyone know a good/easy way to<br />bend stainless steel tubing. I know there are fitting available to create the<br />shape I need, but I don't think it looks as good. Please help.<br /><br />Thank you,<br /><br />Wayne

crab bait

Captain
Re: need tips on bending stainless steel tubing

what size is it..???<br /><br />try a electrician's conduit bender..<br /><br />but what size is it..???

wakruem

Cadet

The size is 7/8 x 20 ft. I will try the conduit<br />bender unless you have any other suggestions.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Wayne

wakruem

Cadet

Thanks for all the responses. The size of the tubing I will be working with is 7/8 x 20 ft.<br />Thanks,<br /><br />Wayne

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

For that 7/8" tubing you will need a hydraulic type bender. Check out eBay for one. They cost about $75. Where did you get the tubing in 20' lengths? What grade and thickness is it?

Bushleaguer

Seaman

I've bent stainless tubing with a conduit bender, but I can't remember what size. (I believe it was 7/8.) Before you bend the tubing, fill it with sand or the tubing will ripple or kink. Good luck.

REEL-BREAK

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Ive bent several rails and some aluminum for<br /> tee-tops if you use a bender ie conduit youll not need to worry about the tubing crimping the bending shoe has a radius that will keep that from happening.7/8 OD is about perfect for a 3/4 conduit bender(rigid metal conduit)I bet If you go to a local elctrician show him what you got he can bend you the perfect rail.But youll still need some fittings for mounting.Hope this helps some.If the tubing is thin wall actual tubing not pipe then a EMT conduit bender may work.try to avoid any 90 degree bends unless you use a srap piece.Hey bend you a sample from emt conduit.

There should be a Home Depot close by or a Lowes, not too expensive there.

conimicut1

Seaman Apprentice

teh show ship shape tv bended some tubing (aluminim or steel, I don't remember) with a simple wood jig. And you saw them doit. You can buy videos from the , I think it www.shipshapetv.com, check them out.