My free boat project

gnknt

Cadet
Well let me introduce my self first..I'm George better known on here as Captain G. My father-in-law has had 2 boats in his yard for the past 1 1/2 yrs just sitting there..I had asked him severqal time to let me buy on efrom him he said no way was he selling to family..LOL..ohh well kept buggin g for the 1 1/2 yrs...finally told mother-in-law (who wanted the boats gone from the yard) that i wished he'd let me have one of the boats especially the big fiberglass one...(had 2 boats one little aluminum johnboat about 12ft with trailer no motor, and a starcraft bahama model 15 ft with a 60hp non-running engine) He finnaly broke and gave me the white fiberglass boat..<br />Now the fun begins..<br />Boat has stress cracks everywhere I step..well not every where just in the week spots....Easily fixed...Floor rotted..transom in good shape, steering in good shape,trailer in good shape...he told me he has a smaller like 50-55hp motor that is suppose to run that he had originaly bought for this boat but i haven't been over to get it put on yet...<br />I cut up old fiber glass that was on top of floor board...the wod under neath was like mush....YUCK...<br />near the rear of the boat wasn't as bad...still some bite to the wood with nails..<br />took it out anyway..<br />vaccumed out all the old wood crap...and fiberglass dust..now I find that there are like the fiber glass waves inside the boat that look like they have been draped over some wood but there is no wood inside..<br />To night when I took off the back last little piece of wood near the bilge I saw what was left of the wood inside and how it was layed..<br />Thank goodness...cuz I was just goingt ot fill the valleys with polystyrien foam and glass it back in then lay the floor and then glass again and install seats...<br /><br />That could have been bad..<br /><br />I will try to get my own web page made to show you guys my progress. <br />I have desided to lay the cross beams the way they did and only cut out a small section at a time and use liquid nails to hold the wood in place.<br />the use 1x2 or 2x2 to run the length of the boat..<br />Does this sound about right...Also does it have to be pressure treated wood or can I buy pine and coat it with resin??<br /><br />Pc :cool:

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: My free boat project

Plenty of info on how to tacle the job can be found at the top of the page using the Search function. For a starter try "rot".<br /><br />Don't think you want to use pressure treated wood as resin does not adhere to it well. Be sure to use Epoxy and not Poly resin. Can be a pain in the butt project but rewarding when done. Take your time.

gnknt

Cadet

Thanks Solittle..I look forward to the day I get her back on the water again.<br />I priced pressure treated wood yesterday now I can count on a little less for the wood since it doesn't have to be presure treated.<br /><br />All in all it was going to cost me approx. $50.00 us to buy all the wood needed to repair the floor board but the f-glass and resin will be the most expencive part.<br /><br />Later ;)

crab bait

Captain

yeah,, but you don't want to use ' home depot' type framin' lumber either...!!<br />you should only use doug fir or philippine mohogany or W H I T E .oak N O T red oak or spruce...they're others ,, but not rightly avaiable.. like cypress , iron wood, osage orange, locust,, ect .. but not typical framin' lumber... <br /><br />if not your just wastin' time & money...<br /><br />GOOD LUCK...

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class

why not use framing lumber crab bait? just curious,<br /><br />rich

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Plain and simple answer is strength. The stringers are stressed length wise and most framing lumber is used for compression loads.<br /><br />The wood that Crab Bait (Honorable Admiral because of his boat building prowess :D ) describes has more flex strenght and most of the grain runs the full length.<br /><br />Bob :cool:

crab bait

Captain

boy, BOB.. your a life saver..<br />i came across this post directed at me earlier today and just couldn't really answer it.. so i put it off alittle hopin' i could come up with a good answer down the line.. besides it just isn't done / it just ain't right..<br /><br />i'm sure glad you stopped by...<br /><br />so RICK,, the answer's what BOB said . yeah, that's the ticket..

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a good project. Good woods to use are Mahogany.oak.cypress and locust. depending on your location you may have more or less options. I wouldn't use the liquid-nails. Go with 3m product 5200 plyurethane adhesive. its great stuff. stays flexable, won't shrink, under or above waterline too. Take a look at some photos of the stringers in my boat. Might give you some ideas. Also check Hawkeye's link under<br />"my 69 formula"<br /><br /> http://photos.yahoo.com/kmw250