1965 Pearson 28 Express Cruiser resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently purchased a 1965 Pearson 28 that needs some work. The boat is actually in very good shape structurally but cosmetically its pretty rough. It looks like somebody painted everything with house paint, there are brush strokes everywhere and its cracking and chipping away. The sides are orginal gel coat and still look nice.

I have never painted fiberglass and was wondering what the best top side paint is?

Im guessing I should remove all the hardware and start sanding and scrapping.

Also, i've painted aluminum boats before with foam rollers and they've looks really nice could I do the same? I dont think spraying will be an option.

Attachments

• 20121206_145643.jpg
    20121206_145643.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 0

KennethfromGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1965 Pearson 28 Express Cruiser resto

Admittedly I'm much more of a lurker than a doer but the general thought on paint seems to be either go with a high end two part paint (that most likely would need to be sprayed) or follow WoG's directions for using Rustoleum.

1961 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics - Page 10 - 384982

That being said Bighoss and WoG both used Pettit epoxy from right here on Iboats for at least part of their projects. I would read up on it though as ezmobee had bad luck with it. Unfortunately this repeat of others advice is the best I can offer. No worries though I'm sure WoG himself will fall through soon.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I've used both Petit Easypoxy and Interlux Brightsides. Both I rolled it on and tipped it off with a brush. This technique seems to work well, and if you get the right weather and a helping hand, you could really do a good job.

I've only used these products on striping, never large scale painting. Just wanted to divulge that info.

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ive been reading up on both easypoxy and brightsides they both seem pretty similar...im curious/concerned about the rustoleum because its so much cheaper. Ive read mixed reviews on all of the products seems like it comes down to the conditions where you do the painting. I plan on painting inside a heated storage building if the prep goes quickly otheriwise it will be in the spring.

Any tips on priming?

I have to do a lot of scraping and sanding and am looking for a good product to build up everything and get a nice smooth surface.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Not sure on priming, I sanded my existing areas down and then coated right over the existing paint (gelcoat).

I had the Brightsides work done for a year before I sold the boat. I have the Easypoxy on the new boats boot stripe. Looks good still but will probably get another coat before splash this season.

KennethfromGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Again I'm just stealing from WoG but he said in another thread his body shop buddy swears by this stuff on fiberglass.

USC High Build Primer/Surfacer Gallon

As to the rustoleum debate I can see where you are coming from. The price is much lower but I'm going to be using it on my boats not just for the lower price but the easy touch up. My boats on the other hand are both beaters who are gonna see the rough side of boating because that's where I go. Every one who I've heard discuss painting (at least all those I trust) say the important part is prep and that the difference between cheap paint and middling paint isn't enough performance wise to justify the cost. While dropping from a top of the line paint to a middle of the road number isn't worth it either. In the end I'm a gear jammer so take everything I say with a bag of salt. :wink:
As an aside I reread the relevant part of Bighoss's thread last night and both he and WoG put the Petite on over primer using thinner and hardner where as eze put it on over scuffed paint. Bighoss applied some straight from the can onto a shelf in his shed and had the same problems as eze.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I am in no way an expert but the rusto paint with the enamel hardener is good if you keep your boat trailored . But it is not intended to stay in the water for long periods of time .

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the info ill have keep doing some research....I've got a long way to go before I even think about paint. I just had the boat moved into inside storage so I can work on it over the winter.

icanbne1

Recruit
Are you still working on this resto? I purchased the same boat, and it actually runs great, but the prop strut was broken and put back together with two steel plates bolted through on either side. Wondering photos of the interior so I know what it’s supposed to look like? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's been 3 years since the OP visited. Also no buying, selling or swapping is allowed. Thanks.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.