Replacing deck - questions!

rrichard

Seaman Apprentice
My boat is a fiberglass 17ft 1960 Wizard cabin cruiser. The deck was all rotted out behind the cabin, so I pulled it off. The boards underneath that run the length of the boat, from front to back, are also rotted. They can support some load, but they're no good to nail or screw into.<br /><br />I've never done this before, and so I don't know where to begin with the replacement procedure. I was thinking something like reinforcing the existing boards with new ones, laying a new piece of sealed plywood over that, and then puting a layer of fiberglass on top of the plywood to seal it and the edges. Is this just shoddy? Any other techniques?<br /><br />Also, is the bilge area the hollow portion under the deck? There seems to be a drain hole in the transom for this hollow area, as well as a larger one for the deck topside.

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Replacing deck - questions!

I'd take out anything rotted, do your best. Its work and time well spent even thou you wont see it once the new floor is down. I cut a few corners on a boat I did when I was in high school and the floor began to lift because the stringers where rotted. You don't want to have to do it again.