Painting a boat

ndemge

Commander
I just purchased a 20' Celebrity Bow Rider<br />20 years old. Faded Yellow and "White"<br />Plan on re-doing the interior and would like to paint the thing... Any tips on where to start the research? Net search just brings up companies that paint..not giving much detail for a DIY

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Painting a boat

Yhe best thing to do is search on this message board 1st then seacrh a couple more boating forums. There are hours of information on the subject.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

There's a book you'll enjoy and find invaluable...Finding and Restoring/Rebuilding Runabouts by a guy named Anderson. That title may not be exact. Books costs about $20 retail, off the net at sites like Amazon. Has the answers to Q's you'll be asking as you go along. Might check your library, too.

flashback

Captain

I have found that a good machine compounding will do wonders to faded gelcoat.

ndemge

Commander

Thanks for the tips.<br />Good website.<br /><br />How many of you have taken on the task of painting a fiberglass boat? <br />Is this something you would recomend for the Novice? (yes, I can follow directions) But have no experience painting much more than a bedroom wall.

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I painted 2 boats, each with Interlux Plus, 2 part polyurethane paint. I spray it on, you have to have the proper saftey equipment, respirator and eye protection etc.. I'm not talking a $3 dusk mask from the hardware store either. I'd thin it down and roll it or brush it on if you don't have expeerience spraying. Preperation of the surface makes all the difference.Paint wont hide imperfections it only highlights them. Start in an area thats not as critical till you get a feel for the paint and how much thinner to use.<br /><br />good luck...don't rush it

signman

Recruit

I have painted all every kind of craft, on all kinds of substraits with every kind of paint. I can tell you from my own experience that this is not a job for a beginner or novice, and I would like to help you avoid a large headache. Even if you got the boat prepped right, got it sealed used the right paint and had a proper place to paint it, you won't be happy with the outcome. The paints that are used today for boat application are caustic and very difficult to apply. I suggest that you try buffing it 1st with Dupont ol #7 and then waxing. If that doesn't give the desired results have it painted by someone who has the proper skills, equipment and facilities.

Bondo

Staff member

i think signman has it about right..... if you would Not feel Comfortable painting your Car.... then don't even Think about painting your BOAT......