1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah on my IPhone it is really tough to navigate .
I I want to move around most of the time I have to exit the sight then go back in to get where I wanted

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sad to say, but again it took me forever to navigate to my own thread after many tries. I have messages, but for some reason I can't read them because "I don't have legal access to read them". So until this forum gets corrected or even a little usable, I refrain from coming here. It just isn't worth the fight and effort to get around everything. I'll post updates later...if possible!

oldrem

Commander
Sad to say, but again it took me forever to navigate to my own thread after many tries. I have messages, but for some reason I can't read them because "I don't have legal access to read them". So until this forum gets corrected or even a little usable, I refrain from coming here. It just isn't worth the fight and effort to get around everything. I'll post updates later...if possible!

Sorry to hear that. I don't have any issues navigating from a PC

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
yea I wouldn't use a phone. tried but like you said but you to go all over the place etc. Like Rem said. PC only.
Probably the Russians.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Shout out for the GM people want to know how your boat is going you ole' codger!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well hello everyone. The rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated...I think?

Would you all believe, I had so many other things going on that I literally forgot all about Iboats? Didn't think so...

Well I did have tons of other projects going on and since I have finish a lot of them (not all by a long shot) I started doing the finish work on the Tom Boy again. I finally got all the front wiring finished and buttoned up and now I am still trying to get up enough courage to do the live well seat. I know, I know, that seat should have need finished months ago. But it is still there to do. And then I still am working on the transom cap as well. Other then that, it is about finished. Well after I set the engine on it. I did roll the engine out side on the stand and washed it off. Seems there was about a 1/4" of shop dust on it. Now I can once again see the colors.

Yeah pretty close, but not there yet. But I am getting another re-surge of energy to finish it off.

We did redo the foyer in the house and that took a lot of work since I did have water damage on the ceiling to rip out and refinish. I did another super silly thing. I took all the moldings off and used the baseboard to cut dental molding for the crown molding on the ceiling once I stripped all the paint off and sanded it. Such a really stupid idea since I had to cut each tooth (1/2" spacing) one at a time on the table saw with a dado blade. Days of cutting those teeth, about 70 linear feet worth. SMH But the end results looks amazing. And since all new chair-rail and insert molding went back in, We were very busy remodeling that foyer. But of all the inside projects, that needed it that most. And of course the new paint, drapes, hardware for the curtains, door hardware, refinishing 7 doors and you get the picture... So satisfying one inside project, I am pushing the boat to get it off that "to-do" list as well.

Hope to post some pictures as I get other boat issues done. So I am still living and breathing, but other then that...IDK! I will post the final pictures because if there is anyone that was following along, I at least owe it to them. All one or two of you! :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
No I didn't fall back into oblivion again. Just doing things concerning the boat but not exactly on the boat. I will try to post the from gauge section finished and am presently working on the gas tank refurbishing. I stripped the old paint of one tank and am working to interface a reed gas sensor in hopes to modify the gas cap to install that sensor instead of cutting up a good old original 6 gallon tank. We will see.

I am also working on buying a TIG welder so I can TIG weld the transom cap top. I bought the angle aluminum and need to bend it to fit. And doing that will have to make little cuts in the aluminum to keep it from bulging and stretching. And then I will have to weld it and polish it smooth to make it look like it was made that way. But at least this gives me a reason to buy a TIG welder setup now.

Of course I am doing other little projects as well and working around the cold weather to get anything done. But I am working towards that finished boat project again... Pictures soon...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
you could braze with aluminum rod and would work fine too

You know your comment got me to thinking. And that doesn't happen very often...I mean the thinking part.

I've watched a few aluminum welding videos that showed low temp "welding rod" being used to weld aluminum parts together. So I saw that the local Harbor Freight store sold such Alumiweld rods. So I bought a pack and decided to try them. Much to my surprise they actually did weld the aluminum pretty well on my first test try. And I can see where they will do what I want. So Now I am making the transom cap with the two angle aluminum pieces I bought. I did just a little test and attached the pictures of that small weld section. I believe I can weld the parts and then polish them off and it will look seamless. So the TIG welder is still a soon-to-be-purchase, but I can now work on the transom cap before I even get the TIG setup and learn how to use it.

I also attached the front section of the boat with the plates installed. Ignore the dirt and wood chips and dust in the boat, I have to AGAIN vacuum the boat out. But if I get the transom cap installed, then the only other item to finish is the gas tank painting AND the live well cushion. Everything else in the boat is finished. Of course I need to bu ytwo batteries and install them. But that really isn't anything I would call a show stopper at this stage. And the engine need to be set on too! Soon, soon soon...

The first picture is two angle aluminum parts that I had laying around to do a Alumiweld Rod test. The second picture is the small section welded together and sanded some after totally cooled down. And the third picture is the front of the boat with the panels installed for final... More to come...

Attachments

• IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 2

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
if you look back at my pics on the trophy i welded all of the aluminum bracing with them , i got them from home depot .