1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
gm, I'm adding a water in bilge by using two terminals close together and when water reaches them they make contact and light up :) also after i finalize my distance between the two contacts i will also use the same switch setup to turn on bilge pumps :) they will be protected as not to cause ignition and i wont get cross over since they will be far away from each other, just ideas i had felt i would share

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gm, I'm adding a water in bilge by using two terminals close together and when water reaches them they make contact and light up :) also after i finalize my distance between the two contacts i will also use the same switch setup to turn on bilge pumps :) they will be protected as not to cause ignition and i wont get cross over since they will be far away from each other, just ideas i had felt i would share

Sounds like one of my circuit I install in every boat I've owned. Instead of the typical float switch, I use probes and a high gain amplifier. And I secured my probes in a copper tube with holes to allow water to get in, but nothing else. If you don't use an amplifier, then the probes, and water, are forced to pass the total current source. And that means if you bilge pump draws 4 amps, you are forcing 4 amps through the water as well.

Here is my setup; It is basically a darlington pair transistor setup that has extremely high gain to switch the relay for the bilge pump. And therefore it take only micro amps at the water probes. And since I installed them in the copper tube (with holes drilled in it), that are protected from any debris that is usually floating around in a boat. I also am using a BNC connector to make it simpler to connect and remove if need be.

Attachments

• photo304377.gif
    photo304377.gif
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304378.jpg
    photo304378.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304379.jpg
    photo304379.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304380.jpg
    photo304380.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 0

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
you know , i bet there would be a market for these , cant see it ever failing , like your idea of copper tubing for protection and a simple relay would probably work as well keeping amps down on the probes.

oldrem

Commander
you know , i bet there would be a market for these , cant see it ever failing , like your idea of copper tubing for protection and a simple relay would probably work as well keeping amps down on the probes.

Was thinking the same - sounds so simple, but pretty foolproof for what little I understand about electronics. lol

gm280

Supreme Mariner
mickyryan and oldrem, that is why I posted the circuit and how I made it, so others could build their if they want to.

Yes, they really are pretty bullet proof, sort a speak, but not difficult to make. But if you decide to do that, please use the high gain circuit instead of mere 12 volts straight from the battery. Why? Because if you go the 12 voltage from the battery setup, any possible short is a boat on fire waiting to happen.

The circuit is setup so that any short will never cause any problems. There is a 1k ohm resistor on the positive side and another 1k ohm resistor on the base of the first transistor. And those are the two water probes as well (center wire in copper tube with the copper tube being the other probe). So shorting them out merely allows ~ 6 ma of current flow which is so small that nothing will happen other then the circuit not working. I designed it for that reason. That is why there is a resistor on two different probes rather then just one resistor on one probe. And if you make your circuit, make sure your relay can handle the bilge pump current draw, plus some more for inrush current start up. In other words, if you bilge pump need 4 amps to run, try a 10 amp relay contacts for good measure.

I built the PC board to keep it all nice and neat and easier to install. But perfboard or what every you prefer will work. It really isn't a complicated or hard to make working circuit.

Oh, one last thing. The center copper wire I used was merely 14, 12 or 10 gauge house wire with the insulation stripped off. Then it can be soldered to the BNC center connector if you duplicate my setup. It only take a short piece of house wire, about 6" or less.

Have a great day....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
While, I really don't have any unique pictures as proof, :cold: But I still have been working on the boat project.

I just finished drawing out the PC layouts for a few circuits that I mocked up and proofed on the breadboard. They are pretty small, making it so much easier to install on the gauges themselves. I have to etch them out yet, but that is easy peasy and not much of an effort.

The only electrical issue I have yet is the switch over from regular trolling motor to PWM circuit. But I like logic circuitry like that and will design something that works well. Can't run both options to the trolling motor output panel connector direct. Because one will back feed the other and that isn't a great idea ever. And I also don't want to use any high current steering diodes either because of the forward voltage drop across the diodes. So I will work that issue out and then build it and install everything.

I do believe it will take at least a couple days or more to get everything wired up and working. But it isn't a hard wiring effort, just lots of them. Amazing how many wires you can get when you add things to a boat as niceties. Every circuit has to have power and ground and even back feed sensors in some cases. So that adds lots of wires to control everything separately, if that is what you are looking for. But it will get done! :D

The weather has turn colder and now I have to wait until the temps are up enough to use paint and such. It wasn't that long ago the heat was the problem. My, how time flies....

You all have a fine day.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I had a real eye opener yesterday. I've had two Bass Pro shop gift cards given to me about two years or so ago and I was in the city north of our town to visit a good friend in the hospital.

So when my wife and I finally left the hospital, I decided to go further north to the Bass Pro shop to see what I could buy with those two gift cards. I've bought about everything I need for the boat by now, with the exception of new depth locator and maybe a new trolling motor. But I knew either of those things were well out of the range on those two cards.

Well we drove there and parked and as usual, they had a group of boats on display at the entrance to the store. Yes, they were nice and I would have liked to own either one of them. But sticker shock took over and I couldn't believe how much a Bass Boat cost these days. The first one was only $36,000 dollars before tax, tag and such. The second one was $25,000 dollars and it was an aluminum hull setup. The last one I looked at was $56,000 dollars and while nice, I just couldn't see me in it costing that much and possibly getting it marked up and/or scratched.

I guess I wouldn't be buying any new Bass Boat anytime soon. :faint2:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
dont feel bad, the missus asked me the other day how much a boat like mine would cost new with all I have done to it ... 125k was what i found because trophy's like mine aren't even made anymore and i like the whole enclosed cabin mini camper type thing:) she asked me if i needed any coffee while i was working on my boat .. rofl. no new boats for me , i couldn't imagine making payments on something that sat in the yard so much.
If i worked off it it might be different but pleasure newp!

oldrem

Commander
Admiral and I looked at some 14-15ft basic bass boats at the county fair this year. Fair special prices were in the $13-15k range with 2 seats and a 25hp. Made her feel better about what I have in the Sylvan.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Sometimes I feel I don't deserve this boat. Most times I say to myself...I could never afford a boat like this.
Other times I say I sure can't wait to fish off this.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yea, I hear you all. And now I really don't have as much anxiety in how long it is taking me to finish my cheap little tri-hull rebuild. Or that amount of money I've spend either. At one time I figured if I only made minimum wage, I couldn't afford my rebuilt boat from the number of hours of labor I put into it. But after seeing what new Bass Boats are costing, I don't think I'm there yet with the labor hours. Bu then it isn't a nice Bass rig either. :facepalm:

Today I installed all the live well fittings and letting them cure before polyestering (there's that word again) it into place in the boat. That may happen tomorrow. And then that allows me to make my carpet pattern to cut the carpet and fit it in. Yeah, finely getting there.

I also did some more wiring and seems my circuits are going to work perfectly. Another item off the list. :bounce:

I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel, and I am almost sure it isn't a train this time. :whoo:

oldrem

Commander
Just think how much those new boats would be if they were done the way most on here rebuild them. Far better than factory.

chevymaher

Commander
That is the deal with boats. It only has to be what you like and want. There are a bajillion types.

Your boat will be beautiful and exactly what you wanted.

Where I boat you won't see a bass boat.

My buddy has one he won't go in the ohio. Having a couple feet of freeboard has its points. Barges come to mind LOL.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Just think how much those new boats would be if they were done the way most on here rebuild them. Far better than factory.

we def could not afford a new boat if they put the time and care we put into our rebuilds 125k boat would be 300 k lol

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah can’t see paying that much for a new boat . The most I have paid for a boat is 800 bucks and that’s for the old wooden one ..:lol:
But when I hit the lottery all bets are off !! ;)

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last summer I was at a place that sells Correct Craft ski boats (I was there for oil for our pontoon boat)…. I inquired how much the 21' Nautique was and the sales guy said $180,000 :faint2: I asked where they keep the rest of the boat but he was not amused.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I sure hope everyone without exception, enjoyed this Thanksgiving day with friends and family. No better Holiday when you can enjoy everyone's company and comradery.

I didn't work on the boat today, but did paint the bilge and transom yesterday before I closed up shop. It look pretty good today. Now I can install the live well since the painting of the bilge area is finished. The hose going to and from the live well go through that area.

:joyous: