1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Finally caught up on your entire build.....from almost a decade ago, :eek:. It took me about 2 weeks to look through it all. I have to say, I got a lot of great ideas and links throughout your build. :cool:

Great to see your preservation throughout all the crap that’s happened over the years. I love to look into others projects to see all the side projects and get a glimpse of those who dabble in just about everything like I do. House projects, remodels, engines, boats, wood working, welding......the list goes on. I guess that’s why I’m happiest in the industrial maintenance field. You just never know what’s gonna break, who’s gonna break it, and what methods you’re gonna use to fix it. No day is ever the same, but the human factor means there’s always plenty of work......:lol:

Keep up the great work!!! Almost there.....well for now. Anxiously awaiting you getting a sewing machine fired up. chevymaher did a fabulous job on his vinyl so I’ll be using him as a resource when I get started on mine. I just bought a walking foot attachment for mine, see how that goes. :pray2:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well Baylinerchuck, thanks for the kind words.

I have to admit, I am somewhat embarrassed still working on what should have been a very short rebuild project. But so many things in life come in to change original ideas and deadlines. So now I work on it when I can, and let it be finished when it is done. I quit trying to make a deadline knowing anything can and does crop up to change such ideas.

And since so many things do crop up, I always seem to have more to do then time...well at least I tell myself that to help me feel better. I enjoy doing and making all types of things. The boat did start out as a fairly quick project. But it is now a hobby issue then a deadline project. I figured by the time I finish it, there will be no more fishing allowed for some liberal reason that makes no sense. :noidea:

I did get some of the metal in for the Shrinker/Stretcher body build. All I need now is today's delivery of metal and I can build that body. Then it is back to the aluminum transom cap cover bending efforts. And that leaves me with a live well cushion to do...:eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well Baylinerchuck, I haven't broken out a sewing machine yet, but I have near about all the parts made for the extra shrinker/stretcher body now.

Seems it only needs the final metal delivered to finish that up now. Then I can go back and forth between a shrinker and stretcher without 10 to 15 minutes changing over the jaws every time I seem to need the other one then the one installed. If anyone is contemplating buying a shrinker/stretcher setup, try to get two body setup with two jaws. Then you will be able to work without interruptions.

Once you see exactly how they really work, this will make a ton more sense.

I have been thinking about that "Live Well Cushion" project yet. I think I have an idea what I finally want and even how to go about getting there too. Years ago I pulled apart seats from a car and seen a lot of ideas how to get contours in the seats. You really have to plan how you go about making them look as you start any of it. The foam, batting and so many other things all have to work together. And I realize how to do that. My only real issue is going to be being able to sew straight lines. If you vary off even a little, it will look crappy for sure. Similar to doing body work. It all has to be worked from the start to achieve the results you want.

Decades ago my wife used to work in a pants factory. And she was amazingly great at her job. But since her stroke years back, she doesn't have the left side of her body and arm with a fine touch sensation anymore to be able to sew like that now. But I am sure she will help guide me... We will see...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
GM I have no doubt your sewing skills will be nice as all your other projects ! Top notch for sure !
Sewing straight lines is not really that difficult. Everything will be pre-cut so you pretty much just follow your seam lines ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
GM I have no doubt your sewing skills will be nice as all your other projects ! Top notch for sure !
Sewing straight lines is not really that difficult. Everything will be pre-cut so you pretty much just follow your seam lines ..

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Sam.

I was watching a few sewing YouTube videos and I saw a really good idea to get even seams. They used a magnetic block the correct distance for the seams and used that to assist in sewing them. Sew, pun intended, if I can follow that idea, maybe, just maybe I can finish with something resembling a seat... Don't hold your breathe though. If Murphy gets involved, and we all know he will, that seat could look like a pretzel with out even trying... Only good idea I did way back, was ordered lots of material that actually matches the seats I bought on here at iboats store. Seams, another great pun, they sell the same material used to make the seats. Sew ;) I got enough for multiple tries...

And I already have the best foam I could find to do this cushion project as well, via WOG's suggestions, from a place called Foam Factory. It wasn't cheap, but they listed it as their best, longest lasting, proper poundage boat seat foam. Sew, I bought it and it is waiting to be used now. :eek:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Seams like you will do a great job with the fabrics. Sew I can't wait to see your work. I'm saving mine for the winter/fall.
funny+sewing.jpg
sewing-machine-talk.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Those are good one Kcassells...

Well I have been making the parts for the second stretcher/shrinker main body. It is coming along great. I even made the additional parts for the stand to accept the second unit too.

If the post office (USPS) would just deliver the rest of the metal, I could finish. But seems the package is sitting somewhere, and has been for over a week now. I guess they are prepping up for the huge mountains of mail-in-ballots. Don't see any issues doing that! :rolleyes:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
No, no not at all. Atleast nothing 28 billion dollars couldn’t fix before November......:rolleyes:

looking forward to see this metal stretchy shrinks thingy, (technical term), in action. I need to look up some videos on it. I’ve had 1-1/2 square tube x 1/4” wall rolled before for a project at work, but never saw a stretcher/ shrinker before. We always used a blue wrench for that, then again, aluminum would not take kindly to a blue wrench bend.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Now sure what a "blue wrench" bend is, but it sounds menacing all the same. A typical shrinker/stretcher is usually made for light gauge sheet steels and alloys. I am using mine for aluminum. And it works well for that too.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Oxy acetylene torch. We referred to it as the blue wrench. If the silver wrenches won’t get it off, the blue wrench always will. I’m in industrial maintenance, so I use big hammers, welders, and blue wrenches to make engineers dreams become reality.....:peep:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I now understand "blue wrench" and it make perfect sense to me. So I learned something today. And yes, i can easily see how blue wrench will remove most anything.

Thanks nurseman for the funny examples you posted and Baylinerchuck for the explanation as well. I can easily say, I have used everyone of those methods with the exception of the blue wrench. And it isn't that I don't have a blue wrench setup. It is just that I have never used it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I thought I would post this in hopes to allow others to be extra careful in their shop.

Yesterday I was drilling some 1" solid square steel bar stock for the new shrinker/stretcher I am making. I knew from a previous accident (about a year ago now) that you better make sure you use a vice to hold any metal when drilling it on the drill press. Well I did use a vice. AND I was also holding that vice as well.

I drilled a few holes already and was actually on the last hole. I was drilling with a 3/8" bit and near about through when the bit grabbed the metal and pulled that vice out of my hand and slung it around and hit my hand really hard. I instantly pressed the off button as the bit and vice were spinning around.

Yes, I stopped it, but also received a pretty good hit to the side on my thump area at the wrist (left handed). Pain was pretty bad and of course a few places with blood coming out. I check to make sure nothing was broken and since I was about finished, I pushed the pain to finish the drilling and chambered the hole as well. Then the wind was gone out of my sail and I turned everything off and return to the house.

The wife and I cleaned the cuts OUCH! And applied antibiotic ointment and bandaged it up. It was very sore and Ice packs help with that area. However, today the pain was all but gone and I will have to wait for the cut areas to heal over now. I posted this so everyone knows that regardless how many times you successfully drilled anything without issues, there is always the one that will get you. So now I will be clamping most every thing down before drilling anything. Pain is a great teacher! :faint2::violin:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Their will be days like that! Heal fast my friend.

Yeah. Even when you think you have everything covered, it reaches out and touches you...

Looks like I am sharing a similar mishap with In way over my head... always

He was talking about doing basically the same thing that I did and suffered the same consequences in basically the same way. So now I have one of them "He-man-toe-mas" as well. It is getting black and blue and the multiple little cuts makes it look so festive too.

But I can move it without much of any pain, so the project continues... :stupid:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Glad nothing too badly broken GM ..
You should have seen me and my sil cutting some trees and branches back the other day.
I don’t know how neither one of us came out unscathed..lol !
How in the world do you get a pole saw then a chainsaw to get the pole saw unstuck .Stuck 15’ in the air all in a matter of about 2 minutes..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Glad nothing too badly broken GM ..
You should have seen me and my sil cutting some trees and branches back the other day.
I don’t know how neither one of us came out unscathed..lol !
How in the world do you get a pole saw then a chainsaw to get the pole saw unstuck .Stuck 15’ in the air all in a matter of about 2 minutes..

Okay, too bad you didn't have video. Sounds interesting for sure. Pinching a chainsaw is so easy. I can't think of anyone that has done that a few times. Even when you think the cut will open up instead of pinching, it pinches. Cut from the bottom thinking the weight will open up as it sages down between the two parts, it pinches, cut from the top thinking the weight of the cut off part will open up as it drops, it pinches as well. Hard to figure it out some times.

Reminds me of one time at an old house where we used to live. We had a few tall pine trees and one had to come down. But I don't do tall trees with a chainsaw... A heights thingy! However, my not-so-bright majorly goofy neighbor said he would climb the tree and take it down part by part being a phone pole worker.

Okay, so up the tree he goes with his spike shoes and leather security belt on. And after he gets to the top, he tied off a rope for us to pull on, to help guide the top down in a safe direction. Sounds logical...BUT he tied off his own security belt ABOVE where he was making the first cut...

I was screaming, as were everyone else, for him to stop cutting to tell him he was hooked above where he was cutting. I started throwing things and screaming and you name it. But the chainsaw was so loud he couldn't hear any of us. But thank God he stopped to take a breather long enough for us to tell him he was secured off above the cut he was cutting.

He rearranged the security belt and went back to cutting. But then another brainiac neighbor, helping with the guide rope, wrapped the rope around her forearm and wrist/hand for a better grip. I didn't see it until the top was coming down. Then the rope pulled out of everyone's hands and another help from God, slipped off her arm and wrist instead of grabbing her. Amazing how ignorant some people can be and I explained to her to never ever wrap a rope around your arm for better grip in a situation like that. It WILL pull your arm off in an instant if it grabs your skin...

Still amazes me how we all manage to live as long as we do...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I thought I would update this metal lost issue. Seems that FedX lost the metal I ordered. So I contacted the company I purchased the material from and informed them about the package being lost. They ask if I still needed the material and I stated yes. So they told me they would resend the metals I ordered.

I really felt bad about them loosing out of the profit from FedX loosing the package and offered to buy half of the reshipment. They stated that it wasn't a problem and they would take out a lost package against FedX. So I have another shipment on it way. I wanted to let everyone know that some companies are willing to make their customers happy and keep them as customers.

I have near about everything else made for that second shrinker/stretcher body and even the additional parts for the stand ready as well. So once the new shipment arrives, I am good to go.

Oh and my "He-Man-Toe-Ma" is healing well and changing colors to new shades daily now. Only slightly hurts depending on how I move the hand. But no real issues and I am back to aby-normal!