1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
awesome paint job man fishes will be holding up judge signs all with 10 on em as ya fly by :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks kcassells, but I think instead of sunglasses, a blind fold would work better. It is not as nice as the picture make it look, believe me.

mickyryan, instead of the fish holding signs, I need them to jump in the boat. Otherwise, my fishing abilities won't work to give them a ride....home! :eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well not an actual update per say of the boat, but just a little nice info.

@splelps (Sam), came and visited me on Friday. We had a lot of fun talking about our different projects each of us are doing. I met him, his wife and son and they are very personable people. Very nice family and I enjoyed seeing who was behind that nice dog avatar. Both my wife and I really enjoyed talking with them.

Of course the typical gnats were a subject of conversation because if you live in middle Georgia this time of the year, they hunt you down and buzz you as a game they love to play. So after awhile you just swat them and learn to ignore their pesky annoyance.

Sam and family are Good People for sure! We did get a little insight to his fish mural design he is doing on his new back yard kitchen, and it makes it even more interesting to watch being installed. Great story behind it as well. But I will let him explain as he goes on if he wants. Let's just say it is a real family project. And that is a great thing in my book. Both my wife and I, were very glad they dropped by. They are absolutely welcome to come by any time they wish. :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just got back into town and got a pic loaded up Gary ! That was a really nice visit with you and your wife ! We had a great time even though it was a short drop in visit ... You have a beautiful place there in middle Ga even with the gnats ! :lol: Don't worry I'm kinda used to em .. It's always nice to visit with forum members when I get the chance ! Hope to meet more at some point ! Thanks so much for allowing us into your house ! You and your wife are truly wonderfully nice folks !
I hope you had a nice trip to Savannah Saturday for your anniversary !
btw , guys gm's work looks just as great in person as it does on the forum ! Ok here is the pic ... And yep I'm the ugly one on the right that needs to go on a diet ...
Gm is nice looking one that really doesn't look his age !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ok iboaters, now you know exactly why I use the Wile E Coyote as my avatar. Imagine having to look at my ugly mug to see my boat project progress. I just couldn't do that to you folks.

Amazing what $10 dollars, okay $20 dollars, will get you from people seeing my work. You can buy their opinions so easily. :smile:

Seriously, we, the wifey and I, really enjoyed our short time together with Sam and his wife and son. I also wish we could spend more time together. Great stories and ideas flow so easily. We need to set something up for sure.

Sam and his family are really great people for sure. A pleasure to finally met who was behind the nice looking dog avatar. I really have to follow his work on that mosaic fish too! A really nice project in itself. And that outside kitchen is amazing. I'd love to have something like that!

Oh Sam, we did really enjoy our one day stay in Savannah. We love the low country boil there and love to feast down on the crab and shrimp. And who doesn't love the Savannah Candy Company as well. We love their Goophers!

While we were there, there was a huge yacht anchored across from River Street that even the life boats hanging on the sides were many many times larger them by boat project. I made the comment about how long that would take me to refurbish that yacht, and my wife, son and his wife in unison said NEVER. Amazing how rich some people are to even afford something like that. :eek:

Well to all iboaters, please understand that my shop and home is always opened to visitors if any of you are in the area. Not much to see, but I do welcome you all if you like to come by. Just let us know before hand so are sure to be here. Being retired we go somewhere most every day. But not for long, usually a few hours at most.

Hope to get some new pictures up about the final polishing. Then it is flip-the-boat-time again.

You all have a wonderful day!

Pusher

Lieutenant
sam and family are nice folks ! you can tell the lil lady rules the roost :)

Haha, says the guy wife the Italian 😂

I'd be on my next project boat if I was single! Of course, I'd be broke and wondering what to do with my life still 😃

I'm pretty sure God gave us women cause Adam needed some motivation

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I realize I haven't posted any updates for a while, but I am dividing work between the house, yard and boat these days. And since summer weather patterns have come early, it is both hot and humid now. So a little work is all I get to do before I am soaked in sweat.

I have to admit, I am fighting with the center section of the bottom of the hull still. I started wet sanding and the orange peel is really bad. So bad that I am contemplating a redo on the section to get it looking presentable.

I dropped down to 1200 grit wet sanding to smooth out the clear over spray and it still looks horrible. I should have used a slower hardener and some thinner as well when spraying and even cut the fan pattern width as well. The over spray settle on the center when I was clearing the two outer sides and it attached so quickly and hardened, it is nearly impossible to wet sand it smooth now.

I know it is both the bottom of the hull and will never be seen probably even again when I flip it over, but I know and I don't do that type work. If I let it go, it will forever bother me for not doing it the proper way.

So in the next day or so, I could re-shoot the clear coat again, but only in the very center section, and allow it to flow and not orange peel. We'll see. :eek: :facepalm:

Tnstratofam

Commander
I appreciate your attention to detail gm. You do exceptional work, and take pride in anything you do and it shows. Try not to get bogged down in the small details.

The first time you beach her most of that hard work and attention to detail won't matter.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Gm , ya might consider installing a keel guard on the bottom before ya flip ... I'm really thinking about installing one on the Manatee ...
They say a rough non-slick hull is a faster one on the water ... May want to add more orange peel and pick up a few mph ...
Hehe yeah I know fat chance ! :D :flypig:

Pusher

Lieutenant
Is that the same theory as a golf ball? :)

Good on you for caring about the details GM

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam and Pusher, don't think I haven't thought about that. But then reality flows in and lets me know this is a simple tri-hull boat. How fast could it even go? :noidea: So I have to fix the iffy places for my own peace of mind even knowing it will probably look like crap shortly after a few outings.

I was always that way and while that sounds like a good thing, believe me is some times isn't. Striving for perfection is a curse. You will never ever achieve it, but the personal effort is still there to try and that so many time is not a good thing.

I will post the final after I get it more like I want it. Then the flip and start with the install of everything. I am looking forward to the flip.

I was out there this morning, and after about ten minutes working on some of the more questionable places, a bird flew out from underneath. And I thought I seen birds on some other days as well. So I may have some guest with nest now. :eek:

Hope they are not some type endangered species or that could be the end to this project if the right authorities find out. :facepalm:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I had a little success this afternoon.

was pretty perturbed with the bottom center section and the overwhelming orange peel clear coat. So I decided to just rework the area and thought about using a Scotchbite pad on a 1/4 sheet palm sander. I thought what the heck, if it cuts through the clear coat and into the paint, I don't care. So I tried it. I was really surprised to see the results. It did way better then I would have ever thought. It did take down a lot of orange peel and leveled things out pretty well. I did cut through a couple areas, but a little airbrush touch up and re-coat and I am good to go. Some times getting a little more aggressive is a good thing. Not so worried now. :happy:

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Excellent!!
Nothing like a success to help boost up that confidence again! (If it was ever lost.. haha!)
​Can't wait to see her flipped!! That's gonna feel good I bet!! :D