1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

Actually WOG I do have a very positive attitude doing anything. I always said that keeping a positive attitude in life is the main key to great success. So I do have a I CAN DO IT montra and just want to do this project with the same enthusiasium that I have at anything I tackle... I'm retired now but when I was working (not that many months ago) I always encouraged everybody around me to do their job better then anybody else could ever ask for, and I do my work that same way. I have to please myself first and that most of the time is way more then anybody else could ever want... That IS why I love this project too...new things to learn! Thanks for the CAN DO reply though... :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

GREAT!!!! I wish everyone was like that!!!! Keep asking and posting and we'll be here for ya!;)

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Good morning everyone. It has been a long time since I made any comments on my project(s) here. But I do have reasons and they may even be good ones too. I had a lot of around the house and yard work to get out of the way before spring caught up with me again before I could proceed back to the boat projects.

I had my son and his wife give us a new flat screen TV for Christmas and we needed to build a new TV entertainment center for this new LED big screen since it replaced our old 32” CRT TV that was built into an old cabinet. So that consumed some time that would have gone to working the boat issues. But I did build a very nice new entertainment cabinet for that new big screen. I was forced to do that before the boat project(s). I'm sure you all can understand...

Okay, so on with the boat, engine and trailer work again now. And that brings me to a few more questions for the knowledgeable folks on here. As stated before I have a 1976 Tom Boy tri-haul boat and all the wood was rotted and since been removed. This boat did have a manufactures plate attached to the haul that stated the horse power requirement as well as number of people and weight capabilities. However, even in great light and some very intense sighting conditions that plate is nearly impossible to see anymore do to fading and such. How can I either replace this with a new plate or get something better to reattach after the refurbishing is complete? Can I contact a state authority for something like that? I know I can have one made with the same info engraved to look exactly like this old one. Any answers?

I also have read a few postings on here concerning bias ply trailer tires vs. radial tires. I am completely rebuilding the trailer as well and welding up better bunker attachments and replacing the tongue with a slightly longer one so I can slide the boat forward about a foot to allow tie down straps to hold the transom down without rubbing against the fiberglass transom on the outside. So a complete new trailer design and rewiring is a given, but how about the actual trailer tires. I am changing from 12” tires to 13” rims and tire simply for a bigger tire and load capability and easier procurement later on. I do realize that the increased capability doesn’t change the axle and spring capabilities but the larger tire size will be better since they won’t rotate as fast and last a little longer. And 13” tires are easier to come by than 12” ones. Looks better as well and since I am replacing the old dry-rotted tires and rims nearly gone with rust too anyway, I decided to go with 13” setup. I was actually looking at radial tires and can’t think of any reason they won’t work as good. Am I missing something with those thoughts though?

Thanks for any help and ideas? I purchased a ton more parts, items and paint/primers and I will be posting the latest work of each section of my project now as I get going again with it...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd go with the radials. Eastern Marine has great prices and service on tire/wheel combos.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I'd go with the radials. Eastern Marine has great prices and service on tire/wheel combos.

Ha thanks for the tire/wheel suggestion. They do seem to have some nice deals.:)

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have a question for no other reason then curiosity. If most boats plane and steer better with the outboard engines adjusted to a little higher then the transom height and the angle is mostly out away from the initial transom angle, why do all boat manufacturers angle their transoms at all? I see every boat with a negative angle but the motors are of positive angles when everything is said and done...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Okay I have another great question for the experienced out there. This 1976 Tom Boy tri-haul boat came with the old 400 series control cables from the Johnson Control Unit to both sides of the outboard to control both the throttle and gears (reverse/neutral/forward) respectively. I am looking at these cables and there is an adjusting device (quarter sized toothed piece) that looks like hard plastic adjustments pieces on both cable ends towards the engine side of the cables. There seem to be there to take the slack up for proper adjustment when setting up the controls. I also see they sell replacement parts for these adjustments pieces if they are broken or need new ones (item number 55 in the attached picture). Does anybody know exactly how to remove them from the cable for such replacement? They do screw forward and back but the threads seem to stop before the end of the brass tubes as you can also see in the picture. So while I can screw them (with much effort) forward to try and take them off, I can’t. So how do the new ones go on then? SMH!36078.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I need someone with some old experience I guess. Continuing to work on this boat again I have a problem location a steering cable. This boat is an old 1976 Tom Boy 14' some odd inch and it was/is a front control stick steering setup that I want to keep that way. However, the previous owner tried to cover up the fact that the old steering cable that was nearly rusted completely through (see pictures). He put three pieces of heat shrink over the rusted area hoping nobody seen it UNTIL they got home. Such a seriously dangerous thing to do... With all that said, I need to locate an old style Morse Command 2 steering cable that seems to be obsolete now. I have researched many different sites but haven’t seen anything that looks exactly like what was in this boat. If you look at the attached pictures you can see one end is basically no problem. I see that type ends installed on many steering cable setups. But the other end that goes to the outboard has ridges and I haven’t located any cable like that yet. Any ideas or replacement cable that will work? I think this cable is somewhere between 13 to 14 foot long absolute end to end. While I do like refurbishing this boat, motor and trailer, I am learning so much about researching older boat and motor parts...some I find and some not so good! :confused:

Boat-30.jpgboat-57.jpgboat-58.jpgboat-59.jpgboat-60.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Okay folks I have a project and need some suggestion for those in the know. I want to install two swivel seats in this project boat, one in the back in the center and, of course, another one in the front at the stick steering area. And I am also going to build a box/storage area under the seats much like the Pro Bass Tracker Panfish layout. But I have a real short wife that need the seat setting lower to the floor and when I take either one of my sons they both are well over six feet tall and would like to have the seat sitting higher. So any ideas how I can accommodate both situations with a storage box under the seat? I thought about pedestal setups but then I lose the storage area under the seat. So any ideas to accomplish this are very welcomed...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Build the seat for your wife and then bring along a set of Atlanta phone books for your sons to put on the seat when they go.

You can get the adjustable telescoping pedestal seats (high dollar) and still have storage underneath, or pedestal seats with 2 different size pedestals for the difference in height.

There's no reason to lose the storage because of pedestal seats.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Build the seat for your wife and then bring along a set of Atlanta phone books for your sons to put on the seat when they go.

You can get the adjustable telescoping pedestal seats (high dollar) and still have storage underneath, or pedestal seats with 2 different size pedestals for the difference in height.

There's no reason to lose the storage because of pedestal seats.

JNG, I read what you suggested but not sure what you are referring to. I've seen pedestal and adjustable pedestal seat supports but I don't know how I could use one of those setups and still have much room under the extended pedestal base section support for anything meaningful for storage. Could you give me further ideas what you have in mind...? I had pedestal seats in my bass boat but a long section extended under the floor, in this case into the storage area. I was hoping to use the rear under seat storage section for a very small personal cooler for lunch/snacks/drinks and such and the front storage area for maybe the trolling motor battery. What did you have in mind? :confused:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You can cut the pedestals to any desired length, from nearly sitting on top of the box to full pedestal length.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Just finishing up on my OB and concentrating my efforts next on the trailer. So I should have some new pictures available soon on here to show what I'm doing to the trailer. It is looking a lot better now too... I need to get the trailer worked out first so I can remove the boat and finish that project too...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Okay, this may be going against the rules! I really don't know, but it is a continuation of the original project so I don't know where else to restart again. I guess most thought this project was lost do to lack of interest. But not so. While it has been some time since last post, there has been things going on behind the scenes, sort to speak. I will post pictures of my refurbishing project if that is legal and allowed here again. :confused:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Go right ahead, the 90 day limit doesn't apply to the OP. You can start and stop and start back up again any time you want

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Okay thanks jigngrub. I honestly didn't know of they were going to throw me out or not, for posting on an over 90 day old thread... :facepalm:

The reason for not updating sooner is I had many other issues crop up. Like taking care of my elderly dad's house, car and different issue with him and his rental properties, and also doing a ton of work for my neighbor as well. He had cancer and they removed one of his lungs, so now I get asked to help him with nearly everything. I obvious help because he can't do much himself. But it usually turns out where he watches me do the work on all his house/truck/trailer/and whatever else he needs help with projects. He uses oxygen and can't do much without running out of breathe.

However, I did completely finish the old '76 40HP Johnson O/B and moved onto the trailer next. Haven't decided yet whether to post pictures here or from a bucket list type account. As soon as I decide I'll post those pictures. I also came across two foot controlled trolling motors. One is an old Motor Guide III unit and the other is an old Minn Kota 599 unit. Both were totally trashed but I did manage to locate all the parts I needed and refurbished them back to absolutely like new again.

And lastly I also picked up an old Jet 9 x 20 metal lathe, NICE... I can now make so many more parts for all types of things. I like it a lot. So that is some of the things that has taken up so much time since last post. But I never stopped work any boat issues even once. I'll get the pictures ready to post for my next post...

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Okay thanks jigngrub. I honestly didn't know of they were going to throw me out or not, for posting on an over 90 day old thread... :facepalm:

Lucky you've been helping the elderly & infirm, else the flogging would have commenced shortly:whip:
Happy to have ya back, good on you for lending a hand.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Here is one of those trolling motors I rebuilt. It is an old Motor Guide III foot controlled 12 volt trolling motor. The first few pictures is how I bought it;
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k568/gm280/Trailer/IMG_1_zpsfdc818cc.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k568/gm280/Trailer/IMG_32_zps9658f885.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k568/gm280/Trailer/IMG_10_zpsfd45beb6.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k568/gm280/Trailer/IMG_16_zpsb5ce9a44.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k568/gm280/Trailer/IMG_20_zpsb29ea9d1.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k568/gm280/Trailer/IMG_22_zpsf1a26ab7.jpg

As you can see it was in very bad condition. But I knew it was repairable and would work perfectly after I refurbished it. It was too old for it to still be listed anymore for replacement parts, but with a little cross-referencing you can find most any part. New bearings and seals and refurbishing the original steering cable assembly and of course a complete tear down and re-build, primer and paint. it looks and functions like new.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Here are the pictures after I finished rebuilding it.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k568/gm280/Trailer/IMG_F6_zps53764cc3.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k568/gm280/Trailer/IMG_F5_zpse5bb48cf.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k568/gm280/Trailer/IMG_F4_zps24e1e35f.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k568/gm280/Trailer/IMG_F3_zps32a8c4bc.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k568/gm280/Trailer/IMG_F2_zps911a8806.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k568/gm280/Trailer/IMG_F1_zpscc4f76db.jpg

I repainted all the labelings and graphics and of course a complete clear coat finish so it is totally protected from oils, gas, weather and whatever. It is completely rewired with new connectors and runs very nice...

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Okay this has been giving me a little head scratching now for a while. I am going back with a new stick steering control setup in this boat rebuild project. But I have a problem that is giving me some issues. My O/B, a '76 40HP Johnson completely rebuild already, has its steering via a protruding bracket from under the lower housing plate (for lack of a proper name) that is not at the engine tilt pivot point like most O/B's. So this engine does not allow tilting for trailering without steering connection problems best I can see. So I see a problem with the steering setup. How will this steering work and allow me the option to tilt the engine? If this makes zero sense, let me know and I'll try to post pictures to explain the issue.