1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I had the most strange thing happen today. And I'll let the pictures explain since I don't know of any other way...
Boat on trailer (1).JPG
Somehow the boat came out of the shop and jumped on the trailer. Imagine that...
Boat on trailer (2).JPG
Even the fuel tank jumped into the act.
Boat on trailer (3).JPG
Seats installed and stick steering as well.
Boat on trailer (4).JPG
And surprising enough the boat fits like a glove on the bunks and side brackets too.
Boat on trailer (5).JPG
And even the wifey got into the picture. Now the engine comes next. And I am certain you noticed the live well STILL didn't have the cushion installed. Talk about putting off it to the very last thing.
A few items needed but it is on the trailer so progress is made. It may even float...who knows...
I have to sew up the live well cushion and spare tire cover (and even the shop tool stool seat cover too) so sewing has to happen real soon or else. Then two batteries and a trolling motor and off to the pond/lake.

My shop looks so empty now. More room to fill up with, who knows what!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
So...you bought a new boat?
Yes, I did. I bought it a little over the many years and it finally arrived...lol

Odd how what I though was only going to be maybe a couple months ordeal, took this long. But life enters the equation and gets mingled up in things. Hope to get the engine installed soon as well. I still need a trolling motor a two batteries, but those are minor issues now.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow gm ! Shes looking mighty comfy with all that carpet ! I see a SOTY nomination happening this year !!! 😎

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well one bridge has been burned...sort of speak. I totally dismantled the boat cradle today, since the boat is now on the trailer. And since there were so many long boards involved, I thing I have enough now to build the frame for the last cabinet in the shop that will hold the radio-arm saw and the chop saw with some much needed draws and storage for all the power hand tools to be stored. No use throwing away used lumber if it can be repurposed for another project. And seeing how unbelievably expensive new wood cost now, I probably have a $100 to $200 dollars or more of usable 2" x 6" x 12' and 1/ 1/4" x 6" x 8' planks. Odd how that happens. So the boat can't be put back on the cradle now. But that isn't a problem either. The shop looks so different with all the new room.

Oh one other thing if anyone is interested. I recently cleaned my parts washer and replace the pump with a vehicle in-the-tank type fuel pump and power supply to run the 12 volt pump setup.

I was wondering what type cleaner fluid I was going to use since mineral spirits (that I have always used) was so high and you can't find the five gallon cans anymore. The one gallon cans are shockingly high ($15 to $25 dollars or more per gallon). However, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the high cost mineral spirits via one gallon cans. Well I accidently found one gallon cans at Home Depot for a mere $8.97 per gallon. So five single gallon cans was cheaper then buying the five gallon cans I bought last time ($60 dollars per five gallons). So I bought 12 gallons on the spot. And as I was checking out, the lady said a few others did the same thing that day as well. So if you're looking that is a great price.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You could have saved the cradle and modify it for the next boat project .;)
How about diesel fuel for the washer ?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could have saved the cradle and modify it for the next boat project .;)
How about diesel fuel for the washer ?
I thought about the "next" boat project and decided that more then likely, the next boat project would be a Bass Boat. And therefore the cradle would not work in it's present design... Ha ha ha ha lol

As far a diesel fuel for the parts washer goes, I honestly thought about doing that. But I heard that cleaning with diesel fuel leaves an oily residue on anything you clean. So I would have to clean those parts with something else to be able to finish them with whatever paint or powder coat system I would chose. Mineral Spirits evaporates pretty quickly after cleaning them. I still wipe them down with Acetone, but it is a quick wipe and go. But diesel fuel was pretty high on the list for an option.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hello everyone. I know it has been forever since I made any comment on this project. But just to let you know, I still have it and still not finished. But not forgotten about whatsoever. A lot of water under the bridge since my last post. But a heck of a lot of issues have cropped up in real life too. Since my dad passed away well over a year ago, I have been pushed to take on the administrator for his properties. And there is where the majority of efforts has gone.

I don't know if many of you have ever had to file for and/or apply for administrator for anything. I can tell you the amount of legal paperwork is amazing. And then the wait for your date before the judge is anyone's guess. However, I finally received that date and issued full control now over everything. That being said, my dad had THREE homes. Two were rentals and the other his home. So now I have to deal with all three homes, three vehicles and everything else.

While it was totally illegal to collect any rent from the two homes (but the bills had to be paid, out of our pockets of course, including taxes on all three homes), I now have to sell them, and everything in them, to divide up the entire estate. So the two rentor families lived in those two homes rent free for well over a year now, since according to state law, it was illegal for me to collect such. I will offer those renters to buy the rental homes first. And if they do, great. If not, I have to go through legal procedures again, to issue them to vacate.

Not only that, but my next door neighbors, both came down with COVID. One is home and basically recovering and quarantined from a mild case, while her husband is in serious condition in ICU on a ventilator, and been there for most of this month. So I am presently taking care of her yard too. So mowing three yards each week (two are over an acre) and doing legal paperwork, has taken most of our time.

I strongly can tell you, do wills and list how everything you own gets divided up. Save the surviving family member the drudgery of having to go though establishing legal estate administer and control. The list of legal paperwork (and money) to that end is beyond amazing. A simple detailed will stops all that effort.

When will the boat get finished, is anyone's guess. And it is so close, that maybe a good heavy rain and I could float it off. And we are also cleaning out our great room for installing floor tile as well. Life has so many wrinkles, but everything will eventually work out I'm sure. Just thought I would as lease update the project forum so everyone knows I haven't forgotten about it. Stay positive and everything else will fall in place.

Have a great day and be extremely safe too...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I guess a little update to this loonnnggg project is needed. No I haven't forgotten about this boat. It is just that I am presently trying to sell THREE houses left from my dad's estate. I have finally been granted sole Administrator of his estate and am presently trying my best to get three houses sold. I thought one was pretty much gone, but seems the residents (can't call them renters since they haven't paid any rent in well over a year) were chomping at the bit to buy it. However, kind of looks like they may not have the proper credit rating to secure a loan. So that house is questionable now. The other two are in various stages of being ready with my dad's house still needing everything cleared out to even think of selling it. The third...well let's just say everything needs refurbished since those renters (also not paid any rent in over a year but finally move out) basically never ever cleaned in their entire stay. So the wife and I are presently working pretty much on that place. It is going to take a total paint of everything and new carpet installed if I hope to ever sell that one. The carpet is tore out in some rooms and partially tore out in other rooms. But the filth is everywhere... I actually receive two code violations the very day I got control over that home. So the wife and I spend two weeks mowing (four foot grass if you can call it that), trimming, edging to see the driveway, cutting trees and branches and then power washing the outside to make it look presentable on the outside. The 16 foot garage door is in pieces and we just received a new one to replace it. You have to put out lots of money to be able to sell the place... SMH

On the boat issue. I found out that the engine (the 76 Johnson 40 HP) is longer shafted then the boat transom. So I have to build a jack plate to fix that issue. While I have the material to do that, the time is now the issue. Time is being spread out over the three homes and our own house as well. I would love to have it splashed soon, I could only do that without the engine mounted for final. Don't know if that actually qualifies as a true splash... IDK.

Just though an update was needed so everyone knew I was still around and working...just not on the boat like I would like to be doing!

Have a wonderful day everyone, we are finishing up this year and looking for a much better next one next year!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Good luck with the Estate sale! Very cumbersome. Good to hear from you and Happy ThanksGiving!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Be far easier to convert engine to short shaft.-----Remove 5" spacer.-----Replace pump impeller.-----Slide in a shorter driveshaft..---Cut 5" off water tube.----Find short shift connecter.------AOMCI-----Is one place to post ad for the parts.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hang in there Gm you’ll get it splashed soon enough . Gotta take care of the life stuff for sure first .. I agree with Racer .. Try and locate the parts needed to convert to short shaft would be best option ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hang in there Gm you’ll get it splashed soon enough . Gotta take care of the life stuff for sure first .. I agree with Racer .. Try and locate the parts needed to convert to short shaft would be best option ..
I guess I gave the wrong impression about the engine shaft. It is not but an inch or maybe two max if that longer than the transom. It is already a normal (short) shaft engine. I know from previous experience that that inch or so does make a huge difference in planning and general handling. Since I have the angle aluminum already (actually 1/4"(or thicker) x 4" x 4" angle aluminum, about 15 feet long), I can easily made a manual adjust jack plate. That way I only have to drill mounting holes in the transom one time. So that is the next goal on the list. I'll post pictures when I get it built...

I am wishing everyone a very happy and thankful Thanksgiving. Despite what is going on all over the world, we all have so much to really be thankful for...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Short shaft motors fit a 15" high transom.----Long shaft motors fit a 20" transom.----What does your transom measure ?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I added another toy to the inventory yesterdays. The wife saw a Golf Cart for sale in the neighborhood website. And she asked me if it was a good deal. It was a 36 volt electric Club Cart. I called the guy and he gave me his address, which just happen to be about 3 miles away. So we drove over and looked at it and test drove it as well. The wifey liked it and wanted it, so you know the rest of the story. Only issue is, he said it was a 2004, 36 volt, electric, Club Cart. Since I knew so very little about them, and it was in really good condition without any marks and broken anything on it, I talked him down another $500 dollars and we bought it the following day. I tried my best to look up the ID tag serial number under the dash in the center, that is actually supposed to decode into the type, model, and year. Well it turns out to be a 48 volt electric and if I decoded the serial number correctly it is a 2000 Villager model that is a LSV with headlights and tail lights with brake lights as well. It doesn't have turn signals, but I did hear a horn but can't find out how he blew it. If any of you guys know anything about Club Carts, here is the serial number to decode: T0026-900967. I think the "T" indicates it is a Villager model, if I decoded it correctly. But beyond that...who knows? So now she is a happy camper and obviously there are many upgrades I have planned for it. Customization in coming... Oh and it did come with a Smart 48 volt 13 amp charger also.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Gm , my wife has been pushing for a newer golf cart the last 2 years . The one we have is ok but pretty slow . Since COVID the price of even used carts seems like it doubled . My boss has a really nice one he is selling . So may end up with that one ..
Happy wife Happy life ! Lol !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Gm , my wife has been pushing for a newer golf cart the last 2 years . The one we have is ok but pretty slow . Since COVID the price of even used carts seems like it doubled . My boss has a really nice one he is selling . So may end up with that one ..
Happy wife Happy life ! Lol !
Since we bought this Club Cart, I have been researching everything about them from top to bottom. Seems interesting that you can get a faster Cart simply by installing larger diameter wheels and tires. I know, sound silly to me too, and counter productive as well. But I've seen it over and over again. And interesting enough electric carts are faster than gas. Another "go figure" issue. We have plans, after the holidays, to customize ours. Since it is already a 48 volt cart, the "hop up" ideas are endless. And, yes, I do agree with you on the cost. We've been looking (well I, anyways) and you can't hardly find a used cart for under a thousand or even two thousand or more if it is in any running condition. But seems golf carts are the new fade in a lot of communities now...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thought I would post a little side project that I got finished now. No not a boat, but in a way helps with boat, or most any other project, using the domino effect.

I seriously need a new air compressor since my little portable small one is begging me to buy something new daily. It has held up for decades with painting a car, and THE boat and so so many other projects ever the years as well, along with powering the media blaster. Asking a lot for such a small compressor. So I am looking to but a Quincy 60 or even the 80 gallon version. And that will go outside. Actually the back outside of the shop. But I have to pour a pad to install it. So, my older adult son had an old totally un-working cement mixer setting outside un-covered, for who knows how long, after he used it to pieces. And he gave it to me saying he didn't want it anymore. So as usual, I had to totally disassemble it and buy the parts needed to get it working again. And that amounted to a new circuit breaker (already had it) and a clear water-proof cover for the rocket switch. And as you can see from the attached picture the before and after results. So as time permits, I will pour the compressor pad and move along with the other projects, including the boat. Of course I am splitting all my time between four homes as well. Wish I could get three of them sold this year. Working towards that anyway. Look at the pictures.

Attachments

• Cement Mixer (1).JPG
    Cement Mixer (1).JPG
    135 KB · Views: 3
  • Cement Mixer (2).JPG
    Cement Mixer (2).JPG
    140 KB · Views: 3
  • Cement Mixer (10).JPG
    Cement Mixer (10).JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Cement Mixer (13).JPG
    Cement Mixer (13).JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Cement Mixer (16).JPG
    Cement Mixer (16).JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Cement Mixer (21).JPG
    Cement Mixer (21).JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Cement Mixer (25).JPG
    Cement Mixer (25).JPG
    154 KB · Views: 3
  • Cement Mixer (26).JPG
    Cement Mixer (26).JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Cement Mixer (29).JPG
    Cement Mixer (29).JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Cement Mixer (34).JPG
    Cement Mixer (34).JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Cemente Mixer Finished (1).JPG
    Cemente Mixer Finished (1).JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Cemente Mixer Finished (2).JPG
    Cemente Mixer Finished (2).JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Cemente Mixer Finished (3).JPG
    Cemente Mixer Finished (3).JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Cemente Mixer Finished (4).JPG
    Cemente Mixer Finished (4).JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Cemente Mixer Finished (5).JPG
    Cemente Mixer Finished (5).JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Cemente Mixer Finished (6).JPG
    Cemente Mixer Finished (6).JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Cemente Mixer Finished (7).JPG
    Cemente Mixer Finished (7).JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 3

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I know it has been months since I've updated any progress towards the Tomboy boat project. And I can assure you I haven't forgotten about it either. However, I am presently knee deep in working on a previous renter's home that was part of my dad's estate, trying to get it in some type condition to sell it. And that means we stripped everything out of the house, scraped the pop-corn ceilings and than started fixing all the holes and damage to all the sheetrock. Well we are near about finished with the ceilings, walls and bathrooms, closets, bedrooms and great room repainting and painting now. And just about finished with the electrical replacements with new receptacles, switches and plates. I have to say, it really is starting to look like a new home again. Hope to finish this out some time this fall and get it on the market. That leaves me with two others to sell that I am hoping are not as bad. So the boat project has taken a back seat for a while to get this out of my hair, sort a speak. But I can tell you, the boat project isn't forgotten whatsoever... Just hang in there and I will finish it. It has got to be a lot more enjoyable than what I have been busy working on near daily... Not enough hours in a day!