1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think it looks great and agree it will keep your transom in good shape for a long time. The journey was cool to watch, thanks for sharing.

Buck.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I’d hope for a good fishing season ..Why would you want a crappy one ?🙄

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I’d hope for a good fishing season ..Why would you want a crappy one ?🙄
CRAPPIE..as in the type of fish! I guess the corract spilling wood have worked. Butt than I never wass chnown four goood spilling... lol

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I have been working the transom cap and hope to have it and the corners installed for final real soon. I finally come to the reality that you can polish a turd and make it shiny and pretty, but in the end it is still a turd. That came to me this morning while trying to seal every possible pin hole in the welds on the transom cap. So I stopped driving myself crazy and thought enough is enough now. Get this thing mounted and move on. Reality is a hard pill to swallow sometimes. But I just finished primer coating it and once dried, time for the paint. Yes I am going to paint it the same color and actual paint I used on the hull so they sorta match.
Been thinking about what adhesive to use to mount it since I absolutely don't want any screw holes in the top of the transom. What does everyone think about either 3M 5200 or polyester resin with cabosil as a glue? IDK

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
3m but call the mfg. They will recomend type of tape, cleaners/primers to use on paint and also on the metal. The bond is the import of using this material. I found them very helpful whwn I dis my front boat windows.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My vote is for the 5200, obviously clamped for a few days to fully cure.
Yeah, I had clamps in mind...lots of them. Now for the next question. How long does a tube of 3M 5200 last sealed in it's tube? The tube I presently have is easily years old but still sealed sitting in my chemical cabinet in my shop. Is it still okay to use, or should I throw it out and buy new (of course I have no idea how long a new tube has been sitting on their shelf either...)? Since I have never used 3M 5200 before, what should it look like and what consistency should it have out of the tube?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Its a moisture cure from what I can tell, so It might be rock hard by now. The down fall is once you open a tube it will get hard. You can slow that down putting it in the freezer....ask me how I know...ice cream, 5200.....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Its probably still good ..Unless its hardened it should be good for ever i would think .. I know I have had tubes left in the garage for quite some time that I already opened and sealed with tape on the tip .. Its gunna harden in the tip but past that it was still fine ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha, thanks for the replies. I actually went onto the 3M website and found info about shelf life. They stated 24 mouths if unopened. But who knows how long such products sit on store shelves. Anyway, if I try to use it and it is hardened in the tube, I'll buy another tube of it. I was just wondering about it since I bought it to use but haven't yet. I am now waiting for the temps to get a little higher which is supposed to happen this weekend.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Ha, thanks for the replies. I actually went onto the 3M website and found info about shelf life. They stated 24 mouths if unopened. But who knows how long such products sit on store shelves. Anyway, if I try to use it and it is hardened in the tube, I'll buy another tube of it. I was just wondering about it since I bought it to use but haven't yet. I am now waiting for the temps to get a little higher which is supposed to happen this weekend.

I’ve had tubes of that stuff harden from sitting in my garage. If you cut the tube open, there will be usable product inside. It should be the consistency of toothpaste.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I’ve had tubes of that stuff harden from sitting in my garage. If you cut the tube open, there will be usable product inside. It should be the consistency of toothpaste.
Okay, thanks for that info... Kind of like "White Lightening" caulking then it seems. About the same issue with that product as well...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a question for the people that actually know.

I already installed both stainless steel seat swivels for the seats on my boat. However, they are not the lockable types. And I am contemplating removing them and installing lockable types for the AD types that are required...I think. I am not sure if that is a law or merely a rule, but I want it to be as safe as I can make it. Problem is, I've found such stainless steel lockable 360 degree seat swivels and they are the cheapest here on iboats store too. But they don't specify if they are coast guard approved or not for that AD rating. And searching the net, I haven't yet found any swivel with such a rating or approval. Any ideas from the knowledgeable folks out there?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Idk about CG approved but I do highly recommend getting the locking swivel bases . I have 2 seats that lock and 2 that don’t ..
I think I am replacing the 2 that don’t lock ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yea, I honestly think locking seat will be going in. The wife doesn't have the greatest of balancing capabilities anymore and a locked seat would surely help her when she goes with me.