max hp for home made boat.

Allen Henry

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was just curious, does any-one know how to calculate what the maximum hp rating for a home made boat would be. I have a 14' aluminum starcraft boat that the id tag on the transom is so beat up that I can not makeout the max hp rating for the boat. I'm guessing it is probably 20 hp. It's an older v bottom utility boat. I have had some tell me that it might be rated for a 25 to 30 hp since it's older and made heavier. I was just curious if there was a formula I could use to figure this out.<br /><br />Thanks, <br />Trp251

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: max hp for home made boat.

Yes there is a way to calculate max HP (or at least the Coast Guards idea of max hp for a given hull). Go to this Coast Guard website. and choose "Safety Standards for Backyard Boat Builders". It will tell you how to calculate max hp and alot more stuff you probably didn't want to know.

Allen Henry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

outonbizniz,<br /><br />Thanks for the reply, I will give them a visit.<br /><br />Trp251 :D

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

FYI...I ran the numbers on a 14' shallow V utility boat I have (more like a V-jon). Plate says 18HP and I came within 2HP (I think it came to 16.x) using the formula so it got pretty close. (Not trying to imply what yours will calculate to, just that the formula worked pretty close on mine).<br /><br />BL...

Allen Henry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well if I calculated right it shows the maximum hp for my boat at 25hp. for where I fish I probably don't need anything that big. more like a 10 of 15 hp. but it is comforting to finaly know. thanks for the replies.<br /><br />Trp251 :D