My 69' Formula Project

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My 69' Formula Project

I guess if your on a budget it is cheaper for polyester. The one thing I would be worried about is getting a bad stick. You are going to have to tie this floor into the sides and that will be a high stress joint. You can only get a machanical bond unlike when they built the boat they had a more chemical bond with the FG. Polyester just dont stick like epoxy and thats the main reason I would use epoxy over poly. Other pluses to epoxy is very forgivnig on mixing,it dones't fume much compaired to poly, slightly more flexiball when cured, you can add thickners to custom make puddies to fair out edges all at the same time your laying the glass. The cost difference shouldn't be more then 200 to 300 $ on the project. To me its worth it for the epoxy. The cloth will cost the same. you could go to 3 layers of the 1/4" stuff. That would be more then they had to start with. The epoxy really tightens those layers up especialy the 17/08 cloth on top. Use the plastic poly sheathing to over the wet epoxy to make a finished smooth surface the needs little fairing, mostly around the edges and corners. That what I used when I recore my gunnels and glassed the gunnel to the hull. Built up the 1 layer of cloth on the plastic, then added the 3/8 plywood and 3 more layers of cloth. Wetted all this out real good and used the plactic to carry it to the work spot then pressed it in place, toothpicked it in and smoothed out the air to the edges of the plastic. Dont even make a mess this way. Left the plastic on till it cured and it pulled off leaving a nice smooth finish. Just wandering about your sringers. Mine rotted from the bottom up from trapped water in the hollows under the stringers. The stringer wern't cut exactley to the hull and the resin ran out from under them when they built it. Might be worth a couple test holes at the base of each of them b4 you start the floor.

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't worry, I plan on doing a thorough inspection before any flooring goes down. I'm goin to take a ride over to a guy I know who builds "Hustler" boats. I figure he can get me the epoxy resin and cloth I'll need. I've gotten this far...might as well spring for the epoxy.<br />Thanks Hawkeye-

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just looked back and I didn't include the links for the epoxy I have been using. Epoxies from these 2 run from 165 to 210 for a 6 gallon set. They ship fast also. Even with the shipping charges it is cheaper then buying from outlets stores. Both are top notch epoxy.<br /><br /> http://www.raka.com <br /><br /> http://www.uscomposites.com/

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the great links. Have you been using the biaxel cloth (8oz.)? Sounds like a deal 50" wide and 8 or 9 bucks a foot. The prices on resin are SO MUCH cheaper than anyplace I've looked. <br />Thanks again-

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now you see why I don't use the polyester anymore. I did many years ago. For the cloth I use the 17/08 biaxle. That 17 oz biaxle with .8 oz mat. I think it about 9$ a yard 50" wide. Its pretty heavy and cures to about 1/16" thick per layer and will make cure pretty easy. Put the mat side down. I have found the lighter stuff is harder to work with for me but then again most of my work has been structral so stronger the better. The 17/08 will soak up a lot of resin but also makes a very strong joint or surface. Sorry if I didn't post those links earlier. I have posted them b4 on this site but sometimes I forget which post I made them on. Larry at raka, knows his stuff and his web page as lot of how to info. Look under manuals. The us composite epoxy I just started using and not sure what they know but there epoxy is cheap and works like all the other epoxies I have used.

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I'm finally back on track. I hope to get some work done on the boat this weekend. Seemed like every time I had some $ put aside something would pop up. I don't want to charge everything..<br />Who wants a monster credit card bill hanging over thier head.