Good luck backyarders

f_inscreenname

Commander
Just my luck. Pretty well finished (do we ever finish?) my boat a couple of months ago and then up pops this new board. O' well. The last 20 months I have been doing a complete restore of a 1972 19' John Allmand Super Nova I/O. I bought the boat off of E-Bay (the pictures didnt show everything). It was to far away to look at in person but when I saw the pictures I knew I had to have it. Its one of a kind. I have found a few that owned J Allmand boats they say there the best boat built but no one knows anything about a J/A Super Nova, I think it was a concept boat so you know parts were hard to find if you could find them at all. Ex; Needed a flywheel from a chrysler small block to a volvo outdrive. Come to find out they only used this combo (mopar, volvo) for a couple of years, mainly on Donzi Sweet 16's. Try to get someone to part out there Donzi. It took six months and $800.00 for a flywheel,bell housing combo (I knew I got screwed but I had no choice) and I still had to have the flywheel rebalanced for my motor (another "c" note). That is just one thing out of my 38 page scrap book of hell. Any one that dose a restore should keep one. Now that those problems are solved its neat to look back and see how far you have come. That and the pictures make for good reference. <br />This was my hardest restore yet. Others were more common boats (real easy to find parts). With a little support from the wife, a whole lot of sleepless nights (on the P.C. searching,sometimes I still run across post I made a year ago looking for parts) and 400% over budget. Its the coolest thing I have ever owned and you will find out the same. Trust me,it has a 60 gal gas tank and more then once I wanted to throw a flair into it and be done. I think what stoped me (no,not how much was sunk into it at that piont you dont care about the money anymore) I just couldnt see it lost.<br />p.s. Its better to do a rebuild in the back yard. Out front everyone can see when you freak out when something goes wrong and it will.

jasonnb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Good luck backyarders

That last part is definetly true. More than once on the rebuild of my '76 Glastron I've wanted to give it the BFH treatment. (Big Freakin Hammer).

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never an easy task. I just finished my first restore this weekend and the way I feel now I don't know if I would take another job on of the same. I had to do all my work in front of the house so I had to keep my cool. A few things flew but nothing serious. It's the finished product that makes it all worth it.<br /><br />
boat96.jpg

D

DJ

dymo,<br /><br />VERY NICE WORK. Congrat's!! :D :D <br /><br />You'll get the itch again, before you know it.<br /><br />Enjoy!!

ebbtide176

Commander

dymo, DAM that is sweet! until i saw Ross' i didn't realize what the top is for, but now i can say that it is super! it looks like a boat of a lifetime - good job!<br /><br />f'in - first i gotta say - u don't know how many times i've envied your username ;) everytime we have to change our passwds at work i think of it, and lmao.<br /><br />anyone who strains against the boating project, i congratulate! if you get a chance please post some pics, since i've never seen that model. :D