paddlewheel river boat- build one?

heres my dream, find a steel hulled old houseboat w/ rotten engine, tear it out and completely redo interior and make a paddlewheel behind powered by a small horsepower one-cylinder engine. i mean i want her to look good, too. like a true river queen. use on nearby lake for remaining 10 yrs. we have until retirement, then take a trip from here down the ole mississippi. is this attainable, or a fantasy?

crab bait

Captain
Re: paddlewheel river boat- build one?

what ya waitin' for ?? don't talk about it do it.. goforit !!

ebbtide176

Commander

this may be out of the question, but the guy i got my outboard from has just what you're talking about, i believe. but you may not consider coming all the way to GA for your project boat...<br /><br />he's an old marine mech/do it all type, and i think got the houseboat for an unpaid repair bill years ago. it appears to be steel hulled, not sure of length. i'd guess at least 30ft. its up on stands by his shop. if you wanted more info, i can probably get his email addrss for you.

D

DJ

mid life crisis,<br /><br />That sounds pretty neat.<br /><br />All the paddle wheelers I've seen of late were fakes. :( <br /><br />They had the paddle wheels being turned hydraulically while there were one or more props under the fantail. :eek:

sure, ebb, id like ta give him a jingle. djohn, THIS boatll be the REAL thing! just a small engine to go pluckety, pluckety down the ol Miss. :D

ebbtide176

Commander

stopped by to check out that boat. its 46 ft, steel hull, 1976 Stardust flybridge, 325 OMC outdrive. you can contact owner at:<br /> (edited out) <br />he gave me a price, but thought it best not to post that, so you can deal with him instead, if you're interested ;)

hey, ebbtide, thanks alot for the info! sounds like a good one, tho i doubt if i can afford his price ;) have to see if i can get him to sharpen his pencil. am really thinking if i can find this same set-up but w/ a blown engine, might get a reasonable deal. hate to spend a lot of $ not needing the motor to be included. i am however really getting the "fever" on this project :eek: have sooo many ?s, its unreal! but, like i said, i got 10 yrs. to do this, and i want to do it right. anybody out there know of any good websites to start with? (i will contact mr. parker, ebb, ya never know, right? :D )

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nothing like dreaming but doin is a lot more fun. Find something that fits your pocket book and get busy. BTW Goin down the Miss is no problem...just be sure to have the power to get back up!<br /><br />Check out the link below to my forth project boat and my last.

capt.bob, now ya got me thinkin! would a 16-20 h.p. one cylinder be enough to power back up? :confused:

im not wanting to run any races, ebb, this puppies gonna be a slowwwwwwwwww float down a lazy riva, i just need barely enough power to get back ta where i come from!cant ya just hear her now, pluckety pluckety pluckety and the tricklin water splashing off the paddles, my oh my am i relaxed :D

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

You said "would a 16-20 h.p. one cylinder be enough to power back up?"<br /><br />My answer: If your boat is no longer than 10'-12'......maybe! :D

ebbtide176

Commander

1976 Stardust Flybridge :) <br />
<br />
<br /><br /> (edited 7/15) <br />i put these up for midlifecrisis... but he hasn't posted in 3days. i'll leave 'em up a couple more days then zap'em.<br /> (edited to readd pics on 7/29 per midlife's rqst )

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ebbtide,<br />That Stardust looks like one that was at Starboard Marina a few years ago...sunk?? Before they removed F dock and forced all of the houseboats out, there were two that sank and one that a friend of mine passed away on (natural causes). Kinda miss that old marina, but I still launch my Silverline there and eat at the Up the Creek Cafe...great food.

ebbtide176

Commander

hmmm, I never asked if it had been dunked. I'd be very suprised if it had, since I went inside of it. Oh well, he hasn't put a for sale sign on it, so maybe he's gonna keep it. <br /><br />I've eaten at that place a couple times, I liked it too. :)