aluminum cracks

cimmaronjim

Seaman Apprentice
Have a few small cracks in the hull of my 14 ft aluminum.<br />Previous owner drilled stop holes and sealed with an epoxy type product, maybe Cabela's boat patch.<br />I don't want to hire a welder. any suggestions for a DIY repair?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: aluminum cracks

Howdy, CJ.<br /><br />Aluminum cracks when stress has hardened it enough to make it brittle. I don't know of any way to make it un-brittle.<br /><br />I have seen aluminum hulls repaired by riveting generous patches over the cracks. I don't know how long those last. They were certainly waterproof.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

crab bait

Captain

i would have to say that the privious owner knew what he's doin' & did a desent job..some epoxy can/is fairly flexiable.. just keep your 'eye' on it.. maybe talk to him if you can ( how old patch, type of 'poxy ,ect ) i'd be more worried of other cracks developin'..

SoulWinner

Commander

Greetings,<br /><br />There is product available from J.C. Whitney that is marketed as rods for welding aluminum. I have used it and it works. You heat the aluminum with a torch and use the rod like a brazing rod. It melts into the crack and is much more durable than aluminum. For less than $20. it is the best method for repairing aluminum that I have ever run across.<br />SoulWinner