Testing the waters

hltenterprises

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well someone must be the first one in. I am working on a 1973 Starcraft Capri 14' walkthru windshield. I have found a section of wood rot in the floor. I was thinking the best soulation would be to replace the floor, but I have never tackled a boat floor any help would be great. :confused:

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Testing the waters

Hey Hugh,<br /><br />This topic has been up before. I recall seeing several posts and a search for 'Floor rot' shows some 80-90 hits.<br /><br />Here's a couple:<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000471 <br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000844 <br /><br />but there are more.<br /><br />As foam or styro is often mentioned in this connection, a search for those words may prove good, too.

hltenterprises

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks UU When I get to that point in the project I will do the search. Maybe more people will start to post now that they see a post.

gonfishn

Commander

Howdy Hugh<br /> I did what you are about to do last Winter. I got a 17 Foot deepv Aluminum at a real good price. I ended up pulling everything up and started from scratch. Went to Lowes for the foam,used 1 to 2 inch cores and topped her even with the ribs.(pack it tight because of vibration). I then got 3/4 inch marine plywood and laid it on top. Used 1 inch aluminum pop rivets and fastened to the ribs. Don't know your base but this worked great for me(should last for the rest of my life). Foam isn't that expensive (out with the old and in with the new). Plan on alot of patience because its alot of work. Ended up painting it with Dupont Char Met flake and it turned out great. Good luck and I must say that The next time will never happen. To much aggravation.