Damaged Hull -- Pictures

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Damaged Hull -- Pictures

Peter, I am late in the game on your project but after reading through your thread, I do have a few questions.

What size is your family, how long do you plan to keep this boat, and what is your "total budget" to put this thing back in the water. And last but not least what did you pay for the boat.

I am like everyone else here, I like seeing old boats restored, but only if it isn't a burden to the restorer and only if its not putting money into a boat that isn't worth the effort or time.

What I am basically saying, is this boat has worse issues than I have seen on many other projects. Even fiberglass over time can become brittle and loose strength and this boat is very old. If you have not put much money into the purchase of the boat, it might be a good idea to look for one in better restoration condition.

What I mean by restoration condition is one that you know will be worth restoring.

Now worth restoring is a personal choice at best with all the factors being thought through. This being your first boat, the building/restoration can have either great effects on your boating future or ill effects depending on how you look at it.

This boat in no way will be worth much when even if you do restore it better than when it was new. Recouping your funds invested will be nearly impossible. Now that being said, if its worth it to you for the experience or just the pure pleasure of this style boat or whatever then so be it.

I just wanted to give you some things to think about before you spend a year restoring a boat that you will eventually find was maybe a waste of time because the boat isn't right for your family, the costs outweighed the benifits, etc etc.

Good luck on whatever direction you choose, but imo I would look for another boat. If you do decide to go forward on the project I would fully gut it so you have full confidence in the boat when your done. You also have the right people here to help you along already so good luck.

Thanks for the post! Well, I ran this through my head about 1000 times and then back around again 1000 times... I have decided to go with a full restoration for a couple of reasons. First of all I decided to do this because I normally do kayak fishing and I love it. So being able to move up to a boat that I can get into the lakes and rivers in will be GREAT! My family size really isn't an issue it's just me, the wife (who is 4' 10" tall) and my son who is 10 months old. As for when I take it out fishing again, it would be myself, my father and brother going. When it comes to people on the boat at one time, I'll only have 3 maybe 4 max. I was interested in the boat because of the tri-hull and that this boat, trailer, Johnson 70hp engine, trolling motor (1 year old) and a older fish finder for was offered to me for $400. Now I didn't see the holes in the fiberglass when I bought the boat and the guy who sold it to me (a good friend) was not aware of it either. Now I knew it would need some cosmetic work but as for the stringer and all that I didn't know that all of this stuff was going to need to be replaced as well.
Now that I have stumbled across this forum I have met a bunch of GREAT people that have been providing me with excellent information and tips. Combining that with hours upon hours of research I feel confident in me completing this restoration successfully. My budget is not really a factor, I don't mean that in a way where I have a never ending stash of money but I look at it like this. I can't afford a boat, I can't afford boat payments. So over the next few months spending a couple hundred here and a couple hundred there to have a boat that will be paid off and last me a good 20 - 30 years how is it not worth doing. I was looking into what this would cost me and I came in around $1000 so just to be on the safe side I say $1500, throw that $400 I put into it to purchase it and I would say a max of $2000 for everything. I know I will never see the money back but I'm not looking to, I just want to make some great memories with my family out on the boat and $2000 for that is NOTHING! Also, I love working and learning about stuff so as I work on this boat I find myself getting sucked into it more and more. I honestly can't wait for it to warm up so I can learn to fiberglass. I have been wanting to work with fiberglass for about 10 years, just never had anything to make with it. So now this gives me the opportunity to put it to the test.

As for an update, I will be picking up the wood for the cradle this week or next week and I'll be putting it all together, leaving the middle of it open so I can get under it and patch the holes. I have been drawing up some blue prints for a design on it and kind of going back and forth between a couple of the designs. I will be posting more images soon!

Thanks everybody!!!!!!

chriscraft254

Commander

Sounds like you have thought it through man, congrats that is something alot of people don't do before jumping in. I'm onboard and will follow along. ;)

I also did not really have the means to buy a boat so like you I invested over the last couple years or so. Have fun with it man, I look forward to the layout pics. have you thought about a center console on that hull. I have a pic to show you if you have. :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yup.. thats what I was suggesting :) . IF its only the transom then sometimes its better to approach it from the outside. I have seen members here that are trying to uncap an OB model with a splashwell. Next thing you know they have motor pics and a-frames trying to pry the deck off. All for a 3'x4'ish transom..

Unless boat builds have changed in the last decade .. The Transom Should be independently laminated. Meaning that its not exposed to the stringers or deck as such ( its encapsulated with glass all on its own ). So your kinda saying that if the transom is trashed then the fordeck must be rotted out too.

If the trans was glassed independently ( like it should have ) from the stringers then there should be NO reason for one to affect/infect the other. They are NOT Tied/married together.

Now if the transom/stringers/bulkies were installed all together in the lamination stage .. then its wood to wood and all bets are off. I know some boats were built this way to cut corners .. but they are far and few.

YD.

Hmm, did not think I said the two were connected in any way. I only stated that when a transom has been abused to the point of needing an entire replacement then It's almost a given that the stringers will have issues too. I don't think I have ever seen a 25 year old boat that needed a transom replaced and had a soft deck but the Stringers were perfectly fine. Maybe you have but I have not. It's usually NOT the methods used by the MFG that makes a boat rot, it's the lack of care and maintenance by the owner(s). Even a poorly glassed boat, will last a very long time, with proper care and maintenance. Just my 2 cents.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you have thought it through man, congrats that is something alot of people don't do before jumping in. I'm onboard and will follow along. ;)

I also did not really have the means to buy a boat so like you I invested over the last couple years or so. Have fun with it man, I look forward to the layout pics. have you thought about a center console on that hull. I have a pic to show you if you have. :)

Good to have you along! Yea, to be honest with you the guys on the forum are the ones who talked me into restoring it... I was ready just to patch the holes from the outside and call it a day. Thank god these guys wanted to see me rip this thing apart because I'm having a blast doing it!

Well over the weekend I took all the measurements and I cut a larger piece of the floor out. I'm chipping away at it a little at a time... ready for this one, I don't have a saw that I can just plug in all I have is this garbage *** 18v battery operated saw, so I can get a couple of small cuts made then I have to charge the battery, lol! I really don't want to buy another saw so I have just been doing a little at a time. Seeing that I have off of work today... By the way HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!! - I will be spending some time out there working on the floor. Now before I cut out anymore is there any specific place that I should measure out? I have done many measurements already but I don't want to leave anything out that will be vital when putting the cap back on.

Thanks,
Peter

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, I did a little work however, milestone (in my opinion) I have uncovered a portion of the stringer! The other picture is under the "dashboard" I removed the panels so now there is a clear shot to the front of the boat. I made some BIG progress! lol! I keep up at this speed I'll have this boat done in about 2 years! I'm just trying to do as much as I can right now that does not cost any money seeing that I'm counting my pennies, after this holiday season. I'll be back in the game soon though!

2013-01-01_15-37-07_785.jpg 2013-01-01_15-36-41_230.jpg

I really need to buy the wood to build this cradle! Once I can get this boat off the trailer I will be so much happier!

TallCanadian, I'm going to have to look over your thread in a little more detail to see how far that plywood goes to the front of the boat. I just don't understand how they did that. Also on the sides of the boat it looks like there are small triangle shaped pieces of plywood that are in the floor. As I said I need to take a little time and look at your pictures again. Was it a pain in the *** getting all the wood off of the floor when you did it?

jbcurt00

Staff member

The plywood triangles aren't readily visible in the pix you posted, but aren't particularly difficult to deal w/. Vibration dampening or hull stiffening, several possiblities. You will want to check them for rot, remove as necessary, and replace w/ similar.

chriscraft254

Commander

I vote to turn this thing into a center console. Here is a 15 Mako that I wish I never sold. :/

newpics076-1.jpg

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The plywood triangles aren't readily visible in the pix you posted, but aren't particularly difficult to deal w/. Vibration dampening or hull stiffening, several possiblities. You will want to check them for rot, remove as necessary, and replace w/ similar.

Yea they are under the cap still. I just noticed them today when I took the panels out. I highly doubt that they will need to be replaced seeing their location but again, what do I know... I will have to figure out how to dig them out without damaging the fiberglass hull, if they do need to be replaced. Once I get the cap off I will post some pictures of them it will be much easier to see them. If I crawl in that hole (the 1st picture I posted) I might be able to get a portion of it but it will still be hard to make out. I'm just going to wait until I get the cap off.

As for that center mount, that thing is AWESOME! That's one good looking conversion! Why did you sell it?

tallcanadian

Captain

So, I did a little work however, milestone (in my opinion) I have uncovered a portion of the stringer! The other picture is under the "dashboard" I removed the panels so now there is a clear shot to the front of the boat. I made some BIG progress! lol! I keep up at this speed I'll have this boat done in about 2 years! I'm just trying to do as much as I can right now that does not cost any money seeing that I'm counting my pennies, after this holiday season. I'll be back in the game soon though!

View attachment 177960 View attachment 177961

I really need to buy the wood to build this cradle! Once I can get this boat off the trailer I will be so much happier!

TallCanadian, I'm going to have to look over your thread in a little more detail to see how far that plywood goes to the front of the boat. I just don't understand how they did that. Also on the sides of the boat it looks like there are small triangle shaped pieces of plywood that are in the floor. As I said I need to take a little time and look at your pictures again. Was it a pain in the *** getting all the wood off of the floor when you did it?

The plywood goes up to the bow. I took the cap off before I removed the floor(deck). I just took my time and used a skill saw and grinder to do some cutting. Other pulled up with my hands. Then I used a grinder after to cut off the old fiberglass edges. It took only a few hours to remove it all. It actually took longer to get all the foam out. lol. You can see in my pics, I think exactly where it goes. I'm not sure what the triangle pieces could be unless they were previous repairs. Here is a pic of my boat. You can see where I cut the outline where the cap was on it. And you can also see how far up the bow the wood goes. I hope this helps.

DSCF1307.jpg

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The plywood goes up to the bow. I took the cap off before I removed the floor(deck). I just took my time and used a skill saw and grinder to do some cutting. Other pulled up with my hands. Then I used a grinder after to cut off the old fiberglass edges. It took only a few hours to remove it all. It actually took longer to get all the foam out. lol. You can see in my pics, I think exactly where it goes. I'm not sure what the triangle pieces could be unless they were previous repairs. Here is a pic of my boat. You can see where I cut the outline where the cap was on it. And you can also see how far up the bow the wood goes. I hope this helps.

DSCF1307.jpg

Thank you for re-posting that picture. looking at this image, and comparing it to my boat, I honestly think it's a little different the way they set it up. Once I get the cap up I will be certain but looking through that hole under the console I can clearly see fiberglass on the floor along the sides. Where you can see it's plywood on yours. This weekend I'll be back in the garage, I will see if I can get a decent image of it, if not I'll just have to wait until I get the cap off. Again, thank you for the picture and your help.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I did a little work today... Still not the cradle but oh well, I'll be picking up the wood this week! We are supposed to have a nice weekend (not freezing and snowing), so I would like to work on the cradle and try getting the boat on it by next week, that is if the weather is going to hold up.

Anyways, today I pulled up another small section going to the wall and I took out one of the shelves that go along the side as well. I was able to cut through the fiberglass using a cutoff wheel on my dremel. I have to go over it again,just to clean it up and bring it in a little closer. I didn't want to get to close to the wall while the wood was still under it, I was worried that if I was forcing the wood around it might tear into the fiberglass and damage the wall. When I was pulling the deck up I wanted to see what it was going to look like like going to the wall. When I was pulling it up I was shocked to see water! a lot of it too. Where the side wall meets the fiberglass floor, was a nice big puddle that I'm assuming runs the length of the boat. I think I found the cause of it so, I'm not to alarmed by it yet, but as I tear her down a little more I will see what it brings me. I really can't wait for the day I have more than an hour and a half on a Saturday or Sunday that I can spend in the garage... I really would be able to get so much more done! I want this thing caped, on a cradle and the deck removed by the end of January, I will not settle for less! Here are some pictures of the wall minus the shelve and a little more of the floor cut out!

DSC06549.jpg DSC06550.jpg DSC06548.jpg DSC06551.jpg

tallcanadian

Captain

Nice clean job on removing that side board. You will see a lot more water before your done. Your slowly getting it done. I like how you clean up after each time. That makes it so much easier overall to work. I'm gettin' excited.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been able to do a bag of garbage a week to put it out to the curb. It makes it nice and easy to get rid of like that.. haha! I wish i had more time to work on it though, i have gone back to the drawing board on the cradle to refine my plans it makes it a little difficult that i have to keep the keel open and accessable, but make it sturdy and safe... it's turned out to be a little more difficult than i had thought. I like the way Friscoboater did his but i don't think that will be high enough for me to work under there though. I'm trying to look at how other people have set their cradles up and then do something with my own little twist on it. I would like to have my drawings set in stone before i make a wood purchase so I'm not waisting the money on a bunch of extra wood, due to the point I'm limited on space to store it all. I'm getting there though, i should have some time to get into itthis weekend. Plus i have 5 days off of work come the 19th. So I'll be swinging the hammer, you can count on that!!!!

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As for cradle designs I really like this one and I think I'm going to make a spin off of something like it.
boat cradle.jpg
I'm just going to have to make some structure type changes to it, like I said above, I need to have it open down the keel. I think a design like this would be great, just a little higher off the ground so I can get under it and I will have to position the supports that go across a little more strategically so I can do the repairs of the damaged areas... Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Why not flip the hull to do the repairs after you get the interior finished and re-decked? A cradle as pictured would be great for doing the interior and then you could remove the bunks and set it upside down on the rectangular frame. That's kinda the way I did mine.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Photo0254.jpg

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well that's an idea! Was it a pain in the *** to flip it? My buddy who owns a body shop was asking me if I had any way of flipping it, when I started doing the fiber glass. He said it would be so much easier to do the exterior fiberglass repairs, if the boat was upside-down.
Also, when you're working in the empty shell of fiberglass do you sit on a piece of wood or something, so you won't damage the fiberglass? I'm really scared that I'm going to go through the fiberglass getting in and out of the boat once the deck is removed.

chriscraft254

Commander

As for that center mount, that thing is AWESOME! That's one good looking conversion! Why did you sell it?[/QUOTE]

It wasn't a conversion.. It was the smallest boat mako ever made. Tri-hull, all the others were v hull. I sold to get funds for electronics on my Chris Craft. I also traded a Grady white 20 footer for my motor. :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

No problem filliping her. Rolled her off the trailer onto the ground. 2 twenty yr. old nephews rolled her up on her side and on over to her top. They then lifter her onto the cradle. She weighed about #300 with the deck, stringers and transom in. everything else was off. I'm sure you and 3 buddies could do it. I made the cradle with 8" pneumatic casters from HF. Total cost was around $50 bucks. It worked great for me and made it real easy to fix every blemish in the hull. Once she was painted and cured, I Built the bunks on the cradle and then layed blankets on the ground and reversed the process of rolling her back to upright and lifted her back on the cradle. It was really pretty easy

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ohhh, I thought you coverted it. Either way, that's one good looking boat! As to converting this to a center, just isn't going to be worth the time and the money. Also, I have to keep this boat versatile enough to go fishing with my father and brother. But have a little cruzer when I bring the lady and the kid out.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, then, here's my suggestion. Keep the front of the boat with the seating in place for the family outings. On the back build a rear deck where a single post Seat can be placed for fishing. Place two Captains seats mid ship and you're good for both worlds...

BoatRe_config_zps60023f68.jpg