Damaged Hull -- Pictures

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Damaged Hull -- Pictures

Thanks, I'm gonna need a whole lot of luck on my side for this one... hahah! Again, thank you to everybody, I will post my progress along with more questions and pictures. Maybe even some poorly lit videos. Lol!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Best of luck!

Wow, it sure didn't take much prodding to get you back in the game.....

Where do you stand on the resto of a wooden vintage Chris Craft BarrellBack?

I've always wanted 1 & if you're up to the challenge, I'll gladly stand over here & cheer you on
grin.gif

You are very welcome. Pix of chairs & frosty beverages are acceptable ;)
speechless-smiley-008.gif

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Count me in as part of the peanut gallery...

oh yeah, and...
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
thanksgiving-wallpapers-3-1024x640.jpg

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to you all as well! JB, I'm going to find a nice comfortable chair, and I don't know about the frosty drink come winter but I'll be sure to warm up with a nice rocks glass (hold the rocks) of some Crown Royal! Again. you guys are awesome, subscribe to the thread if you would like to track my misery, my doom, my demise.... lol! Damn you gypsy!!!!!! Damn you!

jbcurt00

Staff member

From the Admiral & I to you & yours:
thanksgiving-8-07.gif

May you have a great weekend & enjoy the company of friends & family....

John

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, had some frosty drinks (jb) and found yourself in a turkey coma! Well, I figured I would go into the garage today and work off some of the calories that I put on yesterday. I removed the rest of the panels along with the carpet so I have a nice clean slate to start on this weekend, where I intend to start removing the plywood floor. I took some pictures, however they really are nothing good. I noticed some rotted wood on the one side wall shelf that's built in. Anyways, does anyone have any tips they would like to shoot my way as to the best way of removing the floor? Any and all comments and tips are very much appreciated! Again, I hope everyone had a great holiday and I look forward to your responses!

Thank you,
Peter

2012-11-23_17-32-17_183.jpg 2012-11-23_17-32-31_728.jpg 2012-11-23_17-32-51_291.jpg

tallcanadian

Captain

A claw hammer, circular saw. Whatever it takes. Actually maybe start at the soft area and work your way. I could actually tear some up with my bare hands. Remember, under the deck is a load of foam, so you won't see much yet. I will bet though that the stringers are rotted and the foam is water logged. I can't wait to see the damage of the hull from the inside. I'm truly amazed that it broke like that. Remember now, one piece at a time. Don't let it overwhelm you.:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Starting at a soft spot, you can get an approx thickness of the deck & glass..... Set your saw to that depth, and stay away from the edges of the deck, by cutting out away several inches, you limit the risk that you'll cut thru the hull.... You will, we all do, but it will help minimize the risk...

After you get most of the deck removed, you can carefully trim the remaining deck off closer to the hull. Might try using a multi-tool:
Multitool.jpg

No frosty libations over this way, but while I tarped a project boat (or 2) I did enjoy a very nice Sept 2012 Diet Coke
smile.gif

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm going to tear down the floor this weekend. See what I have under it all.

I would start by having someone look at it who knows what they're looking at, you may decide to hunt up a dump afterwards for both the boat and trailer... ;)

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, to be honest I wasn't able to find any "soft spots" there was some rot on the shelf on the side but the floor itself felt good. I know there's a layer of fiberglass over the top but as for feeling anything that dips when you walk on it or feels soft. There's nothing of the sort.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to tear down the floor this weekend. See what I have under it all.

I would start by having someone look at it who knows what they're looking at, you may decide to hunt up a dump afterwards for both the boat and trailer... ;)

At least it's nice and shiny now. :)

Good luck with whatever you do.

LK

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I think I'm going to start by drilling some sections for samples. Then just go right up the middle with the circular saw!

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I hit some spots with the drill and most of the plywood was dry and a nice light color. However, as soon as I got to the bottom of the plywood it was a little wet and a couple of shades darker. All in all I would say as per the thickness of the plywood I would say about 85% was in excellent condition... What to do, what to do.... I'm thinking I'll cut a section out so I can repair the hull. But, when I showed a friend of mine the crack he told me that I would be able to get away with patching it from just the outside as long as I grind down the section where the crack is very well.. In his words "feather thin", so what do you guys think? I'm getting so many different opinions and it's hard to choose which way to go, because I don't have a clue. Please help.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yes, You could patch it from the outside but there is a reason it failed in the first place. The keel should be one of the strongest spots on the boat and you now have a hole in it that was draining water, Not an ideal situation. It would be a cosmetic fix at best if you don't find out what caused it.

LK

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, that makes sense but hear me out and let me know what you think after I run this past you.

I have been studying iboats forum like a bible for the last week and I TallCanadian's rebuild of his MFG Gypsy. Now, I noticed on his that there is a tube that runs in the middle of the boat, however it's off center to the driver side of the boat, see TallCanadian's photo below -
TallCanadian34.jpg
(TallCanadian - I hope you don't mind I used your photo- I'll take it down if you want me to)

Now, the crack is not at the keel of the boat but on the bottom of the Gypsy it starts to run flat right along the middle , now between the keel and the flat middle section is where this crack is located. Again, it's only about 3" maybe 4", okay 5" max (lol). Now because this trailer that came with the boat is all messed up the boat is resting a lot of the weight on the one roller and caused it to puncture the fiberglass. Now, when I talked to the guy who sold me the boat he said the trailer has been messed up for a while however I'm sure that didn't stop him from using it or maybe even thinking about repairing it. Now, if you were to drive with this boat on the trailer the bouncing of the boat would cause the weight to be focused on this little section of the roller.

Now let me get back to the tube that runs down the middle of the boat inside. Now, that crack I can tell you that this crack is going to be under this tube, so If I pull everything up or even just cut a section up I have to wonder how will I get to that crack if that tube is in the middle of it all? Should I cut into the tube? Okay, now what do you think?

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If thr bottom of the deck is wet there is a good possibility the stringer is wet. I would cut the deck open enough tobe able to drill the stringer.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let me also add that I power washed the boat and I got the inside pretty wet, there were many, many, many holes in the floor from where previous owners have put seating in and removed them and put new seats in. None of these holes were plugged up. Now that would cause some water to get in there. But would there be enough for it to be that bad?

I like the idea of just cutting a section out to see, maybe right above the crack so I can see what kind of damage there is in the area along with checking the stringers. Now if that crack is under the tube what do I do in that situation? should I cut that tube out?and then replace it by fiberglassing it back in?

Thanks for the help!

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I think JB forgot to mention the other part of the pre re-build phase DENIAL! and not the river in Eygypt as WOG posted I believe? you have issues below deck remember your hull has been comprimissed. Good example TITANIC!