1967 Sea Nymph, 14'

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Well guys, I traded in the 67' Starcraft Sea Scamp for a little bigger boat. It's not a Starcraft:mad:, but it's aluminum. This sucker is wide, 62 inches! The Scamp was a cartopper so it was a little guy. This boat is more suited for the St. Clair River and the Bays of Lake St. Clair.

Here she is a 14 foot 1967 Sea Nymph. I've got no info but in 72' the wide 14 footer was called the "Big Water". It needs painting and modification. I was thinking about a casting deck. Don't know what to do at this moment. It's getting cold in Michigan so I don't know what I'll get done this fall/winter.
204.jpg

206.jpg

203.jpg

208.jpg

207.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1967 Sea Nymph, 14'

So Zach got 2footitis? I see him peering over the in the second pic. Prob thinking deja vu all over again. LOL I'm guessing the camo is going away.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep, Zach sure looks to have already laid claim to her :) Excellent!

Looks like quite a bit of tin is changing hands this week(end) :cool:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Well we loved the Sea Scamp. It will always have a special place in our hearts. My philosophy is; always have a current project of some sorts. Zach has autism and the learning disabilities that go along with it. Working with his hands helps him, and me too. As soon as this one's done, it'll probably get traded too.

Yep Ga, that camo is going, she was a duck hunting boat. I'm going to try soda blasting this time. My bro just bought a HF air compressor, AND the extended warranty. I've got the blaster, also from HF and 30 pounds of soda. It's time to strip some camo.

My buddy from work wants the Scamp. I'll double my money over what we paid for her. My wife started adding up all the supplies it took to finish off the boat. So now she's on to me. He never came over Saturday to get the Sea Scamp so now I've got three boats on the property. I got the frying pan big time!:mad: She's just not seeing the big picture here. lol

JB, I'm sick with MBS and so is my son. I'm glad I've found a support group here that accepts me for what I am.:p

jbcurt00

Staff member

Considering how much time you & Zach got to spend working on the Scamp, and it's benefits for him to work w/ his hands, the Admiral might should look at the money spent as LESS then occupational~vocational therapy would have cost. And he got to do it w/ his dad. That may even have a greater long term benefit.

Plus it kept YOU off the street & hopefully out of trouble.... WIN - WIN :)

And another winter project for all the previous reasons sounds great too ;)

JB, I'm sick with MBS and so is my son. I'm glad I've found a support group here that accepts me for what I am.:p

Ditto, but it kind of seems more of a:

little red guy w/ horns standing on your shoulder chanting: Do it! Do it! Do it!

Kind of a support group :facepalm:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Any time I can spend working on a project with my boy is time well spent. Zach was a little upset at first but it's a little bigger boat that will serve our needs better. Plus for $200 you can't go wrong. He's all ready picking out colors, he likes blue.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm guessing you and Zach spent more time working on the Scamp than fishing in her. So you two can do it again as more of Zach's continuing OJT. Good deal.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That's a great utility boat man, nice score!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I'm guessing you and Zach spent more time working on the Scamp than fishing in her. So you two can do it again as more of Zach's continuing OJT. Good deal.

Nope, we fished at least 15 times this year out of the Scamp. Between fishing and fixing we had a blast. Zach caught a couple of largies all by himself this year. He grabbed a Booyah spinner, I tied it up for him, then started rigging myself up and zzzzzz, his Zebco was screaming. he put two in the boat before I got rigged. Yep, I was proud.

That's a great utility boat man, nice score!
For 2 hundo I couldn't pass it up. Mama is wazzed off though. This morning she looked in the back yard and the Sea Scamp was still there. My buddy never came over to get it, he got busy. Smack another skillet shot. She got breakfast in bed and I just pan fried some NY strip for her.

So technically I have 3 boats at the moment. hahaha.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Soooo.....

About that Offshore so long as you brought it up......

Careful, as a family man, BD may want an unfinished Islander for some overnight fishing trips & so he can fix the Admiral breakfast in bed on the same trip :D

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Soooo.....

About that Offshore so long as you brought it up......

HHmmmmm. The Offshore got pushed to the side for money reasons. Karate, swimming, speech therapy, Sea Scamp. I really need to make a plan eh. Time for all the activities plus fishing and the Sea Scamp. Well no time and no money.

Now that you called me on it well.......... If I put a casting deck etc on the Sea Nymph....more time and money away from the offshore. OK, minimal into the SN. Ten horse Johnson (dual purpose, kicker for Offshore & slightly underpowered motor for the SN) gets done, and soda blast and paint for SN. Then Offshore time. I need to pull the 3.0 merc and go through it this winter.

OK I need a list, a priority list. OK Jas that's my homework for the week bro. My brother has been questioning my antics too. No more boats I promise. I'll finish all my current projects first, and eat all my veggies. Scouts honor. Assuming of course I live through the night.:eek:

dozerII

Admiral

Great little boat Don, can't wait to see what you and Zac do with her. Great to have project to do with your son.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'd be willing to bet the Offshore would cost more and take more time to re work than this little 14 footer. But not by much on either my friend;)

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Ok Jas I'm still trying to piece together a plan. This plan will include the SN and the Offshore. It needs to satisfy our need to walleye fish in the St. Clair River, and early spring smallmouth fish on Lake St. Clair. I will try and put this plan together and then map it out accordingly with priorities. The time line will be a soft one. Meaning if I miss a date oh well, this is supposed to be fun not stressful. Thanks for keeping me on task here.

The Sea Scamp is gone. My buddy from work took delivery of her. So we are down to 2 boats. Seeing how this thread is about the Sea Nymph here goes with some questions. The reason I wanted this boat over the car-topper (Sea Scamp) is to fit more people in it. Zach has a couple of friends at school he wants to take out. This will fit two adults and two kids no prob.

A) How big of a motor will this thing handle, 20,25,30??? It's 62" wide and 13'6" long. It's deep also, a big water boat so to speak.
B) How do you guys feel about casting decks on these tinnies? Nothing big maybe just in the bow.
C) Any idea what model this is. it's a '67 according to the paperwork.

That's all I have for now. I'm hoping to work on her over the winter, or at least until the snow starts flying.

Thanks
Don

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

A - I had a 25 tiller on my big Starcraft utility. That was all she needed and I know I would have felt uncomfortable with anything bigger really.

B - Yah man, I think the front seat forward is a good size casting deck eh.

C - Sorry, can't help ya there:redface:

Cheers buddy!:)

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Ok guys I've been trying to size and find a motor for this boat. Big open water in Lake St. Clair is where she'll be used. I don't want to crawl around a big lake, I don't want to overpower and be unsafe either.

Here's what I've found on Cl;
18 Hp Evinrude's 58-62 $ 350-$400
25 Hp Johnson's (1955) $ 200 or less!
28 Hp Johnson (Evinrude??) <$100 supposedly runs and come with trailer (mine is too short and needs welding) and land fill glasser. Not set up for tiller though.
Use the QD-16 I have and be happy with 10 horses. This motor can also be use on the Offshore as a kicker.

The 18 hp is about 85 pounds
The Big Twin's (25 & 28) are about 115-120

Is a big twin a bit too heavy for the stern? I know the boat will take it but maybe an 18 is better?

Offshore vs Big Water;
The Sea Nymph gets totally done up and then the 18' Starcraft gets started. I'm an outboard guy anyway. This puts me on the water early in the year when I/O's are still sleeping and then later when the I/O's are put to bed for the winter. Muskie gets hot in October and November and the I/O will be winterized. Smallmouth is hot in April.

Sea Nymph gets a casting deck up front and a new paint job. I've got some welding to do on this boat as some of the chines on the bottom are cracked. Actually I'm going to braze them up. I'll post pic's shortly and you can see the damage on the bottom. Nothing serious but it needs to be dealt with.

Thanks
Don

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ok guys I've been trying to size and find a motor for this boat. Big open water in Lake St. Clair is where she'll be used. I don't want to crawl around a big lake, I don't want to overpower and be unsafe either.

Here's what I've found on Cl;
18 Hp Evinrude's 58-62 $ 350-$400
25 Hp Johnson's (1955) $ 200 or less!
28 Hp Johnson (Evinrude??) <$100 supposedly runs and come with trailer (mine is too short and needs welding) and land fill glasser. Not set up for tiller though.
Use the QD-16 I have and be happy with 10 horses. This motor can also be use on the Offshore as a kicker.

The 18 hp is about 85 pounds
The Big Twin's (25 & 28) are about 115-120

Is a big twin a bit too heavy for the stern? I know the boat will take it but maybe an 18 is better?

Offshore vs Big Water;
The Sea Nymph gets totally done up and then the 18' Starcraft gets started. I'm an outboard guy anyway. This puts me on the water early in the year when I/O's are still sleeping and then later when the I/O's are put to bed for the winter. Muskie gets hot in October and November and the I/O will be winterized. Smallmouth is hot in April.

Since you need the trailer too... But, only if you can get the model #, see if a tiller conversion is available & how much it would run....

Maybe sell the BigWater's trailer, and the 28hp motor for more then you pay & get the 1955 25hp Johnson or the 18hp Evinrude almost for nothing AND the better trailer......

Keep the QD-16 for small water use on the BigWater, and as a kicker :)

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Great idea on the QD-16. Smaller inland lakes and a kicker for the big boat.

The Sea Scamp's owner is a guy at the shop. He needs a trailer. So it's sold if I want to part with it.

Big Twin (225 or 28) or 18 hp fast twin?? I'm leaning towards the bigger motors. Can the 28 hp be converted over to tiller?? I'm thinking it's the same handle as a 25-30-35 big twin.

JB, if I bring an old fiberglass home and it sits around until I get it to the land fill, SWMBO will kick my fanny. Course it's been almost 2 weeks since she's been mad. Hmmmm...... Geez tomorrow is Sunday, not sure the junk yards are open. What to do??

64osby

Admiral

BD, Glad your avoiding the fry pan and down to two boats.

My 14' Lone Star 1963 is rated at 18 hp and the 1957 18 Rude pushes it 27mph with my son & me.

The 10 will work, 22mph with a '57 Johnson on the LS, but on the big lake the extra hp will be noticed and desirable IMO.

Have a great time with Zach and the new family member, The Big Water. Cool:cool: