1967 Sea Nymph, 14'

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1967 Sea Nymph, 14'

Congrats to you all on Zac's pending blue belt!

Hmm, bass boat you say.... Well there's still time to bring him back to the SC fold :watermelon: :happy:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats to you all on Zac's pending blue belt!

Hmm, bass boat you say.... Well there's still time to bring him back to the SC fold :watermelon: :happy:

OK, Mariner. Kinda like a bass boat eh.

Boat progress:
We picked up the Tee-Nee trailer. It's about 8" too short for the boat. I need some steel and a welder to fix it.

They opened a Menards near me, awesome. I bought a piece of 1/2" aruaco and fabbed up inner and outer transoms. I need to epoxy them up yet.

I cut the smashed piece of the keel out and straightened it at the shop. looks pretty good. I need to rivet it back in and braze up the cut.

PS
For the record there was plenty of snow on the ground when I picked up the trailer. The tires were froze into the mud a bit and we had break them free. I hope this restores my street creds with my Michigan bros. We also went steelhead fishing Feb 22 in the snow, walked 6 miles in 3 hours of fishing. Just sayin'

Don

Zach is officially a blue belt. His sixth belt.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Congrats to Zach!!!!
sport-graphics-karate-813743.gif

64osby

Admiral

Way to go Zack.

bd - we need some pics. Especially if you're trying to redeem your creds.:joyous:

Trailer sounds like an easy fix.

Transom - can't see it yet!

The keel repair sounds awesome but again!

Any fish for all that walking?

InMotion

Commander

Way to go Zack.

bd - we need some pics. Especially if you're trying to redeem your creds.:joyous:

Trailer sounds like an easy fix.

Transom - can't see it yet!

The keel repair sounds awesome but again!

Any fish for all that walking?

+1 to Zack... a great accomplishment!

+1 to 64 --- no pics not really happening... just saying :)

J.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Tough crowd! Now we know I'd never treat you guys like that.

No fish however it was a sunny 28 degrees out. Awesome day. I even saw a bug out on a stick!

Pics for Saturday, I have 3rd grade homework to do now. Zach has a report on Henry Ford due Monday. Actually Mom is doing most of the helping out, but Henry Ford was my idea. I'm more of an ideas guy anyway.:laugh: Maybe I should do my photobucket homework eh. I could go on Bass Pro's website and order my crappie & smallmouth jigs and tubes. $5.00 shipping and no minimum!! Wonder what I'll do??:)

Don
p.s. I'm really proud of Z-man for his new belt. ASD and all, it's a little harder for him than a regular kid. I'll get a pic of him sporting his new color.

Thanks all
Zach's Dad.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Congrats to Zach, & to both Zach's mom & dad :)

A good day fishing & getting skunked is still a good day fishing... Else they'd call it catching :watermelon:

Banker Ed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tough crowd! Now we know I'd never treat you guys like that.

No fish however it was a sunny 28 degrees out. Awesome day. I even saw a bug out on a stick!

Pics for Saturday, I have 3rd grade homework to do now. Zach has a report on Henry Ford due Monday. Actually Mom is doing most of the helping out, but Henry Ford was my idea. I'm more of an ideas guy anyway.:laugh: Maybe I should do my photobucket homework eh. I could go on Bass Pro's website and order my crappie & smallmouth jigs and tubes. $5.00 shipping and no minimum!! Wonder what I'll do??:)

Don
p.s. I'm really proud of Z-man for his new belt. ASD and all, it's a little harder for him than a regular kid. I'll get a pic of him sporting his new color.

Thanks all
Zach's Dad.

Don, I see now how you get so much done, staying up past 1:00 AM. And, what they say about golf could go for fishing "A bad day at fishing is much better than a good day at work" Ed Bell

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Here's my monthly dues payment. You can put away the pitchforks and hound-dogs.
DSC01561.jpg

Old Tee-Nee, missing the teardrop fenders and the winch teepee. Bummer!
DSC01560.jpg

Fantaboulus riveting (2 done a few more left to do) and straightening job. You guys have taught me well.
DSC01559.jpg

So it did happen!

Might have a pic of Mr Blue belt too I'll have to check. I think this time next year he goes into black belt camp. 4 months of intense training. We held him back from catechism because we wanted him to understand communion before he took it. HHmmm, if he doesn't make it in black belt camp he waits another year, which I'm ok with. We'll see, failure is good sometimes. When he gets that Junior black belt I'll buy him a Starcraft tinnie, a big one, Islander or Chieftain.

Thanks for putting up with me guys. I hope your projects are progressing.
Don

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Next on the agenda is brazing the keel where I cut it out to remove and straighten. Epoxy of the transoms. Hopefully by this weekend.

jbcurt00

Staff member

All ^^^ sounds & looks great..........
thumbsup.gif

InMotion

Commander

Awesome man... see.... we knew it really happened! :D

J.

64osby

Admiral

Dogs are at rest and the pitch fork is back in the barn.:D

Really looking forward to the brazing update, any chance of a video?

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Dogs are at rest and the pitch fork is back in the barn.:D

Really looking forward to the brazing update, any chance of a video?

Video you say? I'll give it a try. I'm really sold on brazing. There is a learning curve though. Heat is the key. If the base material is hot enough (750 f) then the brazing rod will flow. If there is not enough heat you get cold blobs and swear words tumble from your mouth nearly uncontrollably.

The rod is HTS-2000. Not cheap but neither is a certified welder! This rod has good mechanical properties, better than the base material.
Here is a link to their site.

Banker Ed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Video you say? I'll give it a try. I'm really sold on brazing. There is a learning curve though. Heat is the key. If the base material is hot enough (750 f) then the brazing rod will flow. If there is not enough heat you get cold blobs and swear words tumble from your mouth nearly uncontrollably.

The rod is HTS-2000. Not cheap but neither is a certified welder! This rod has good mechanical properties, better than the base material.
Here is a link to their site.

BD, now that HTS-2000 is interesting. I don't guess I have anything now to try it on but I sure would like to give it a try. My learning curve is fairly slow, so I am sure I would blob it up. Ed Bell

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Banker Ed, I blobbed it up at first too. I don't care who you are and how much you read, you just have to do it. And do it, and do it. Then I did it, and I didn't need to pay a welder. Actually the welder at work said bring it in....my nephew said I'm welding aluminum in my college automotive class, bring it in. Did I bring it in, nope. Stubborn or determined, that's me. Oh well, it'll get done and I'll do it.

CRISIS;
My trailer is about 6-8" too short. I need to make it longer. Should I lengthen the back or the front end??? We're talking about 2' here. I'll not be able to match the rolled dip in the top of the main beam on the original trailer beam, so it will be noticeable. The front will be more noticeable than the back. The back has two supports and the center beam to lengthen. The front has only the center beam.

I can't find any shorts laying around the shop, so I have to buy it somewhere. Where???

Any help is appreciated. I'm getting anxious to finish this.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Can you extend the tongue? Or extend the bunks? Got a pic, BD?

EDIT - Found the pic. Forget my bunk thing. Back to a tongue extension. With the construction used in the trailer, I don't see anything else to do.

jbcurt00

Staff member

DSC01560.jpg

Do the add at the front.... Square tube or upside down 'C' channel?

Metal suppliers aren't too hard for me to find in Fairmont, WV, I suspect somewhere close to you in Michigan will have some 2"X2" tube or C. For a 2ft pc, heck the rod too, check the metal recyclers. As many have suggested, even the one local to me will sell smallish pcs of their metal scraps. NOT copper apparently, my guess is they under pay for it a great deal, so no sale. But all else, yep, might have to ask a couple of times to find the right sized pcs.

Mimic the rolled edge by using that HTS2000 to braze a correctly (or at least similar) sized solid rod onto the corner.
trailer_zps4b16cd42.jpg

Ground, filled & painted it will look close enough, and it'll only really be noticed w/ out the boat on the trailer.....

You'll be fishing, so no worries......

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I was thinking the back, then the front. Now I think you guys are right on with extending the tongue. OK on to the next minor problem.

JB I can order tube and get it delivered to work. Now to fab up something close. A square piece with some tube welded to the top edge would be close enough (split the tube first, maybe). The Tee-Nee stuff has been scavenged off it anyway, so looks are not primary. I'll stuff a tube inside then go over it with another tube and it'll be structural.

I can figure this out. I'll get my bud at work to weld it for me, yea this can work. OK, I just needed a second and third opinion. I know what to do now. It'll look Ok, not a match but it won't look hoopdi either.

Thanks, GA, Thanks JB.