1967 Sea Nymph, 14'

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1967 Sea Nymph, 14'

Rats on the painting. I really want to move this along but do not want to do it over. I'll do the motor work this winter maybe get the casting platform done.

I'm looking into you're leads JB, thanks.

Man am I looking forward to fishing in the bays of Lake St. Clair this coming spring. I went in for an mri on my bum knee a couple weeks back. The tech was a bit of a talker, well come to find out he'd lived on LSC since he was little. Gave me some really good spots on spots for some 15-20 pound gator pike. I'm on a quest for a 40"+ pike. Once I fulfill that me and Z are going for a 50" muskie. This boat is perfect for that. I like casting over trolling hence the front platform.

No surgery on the knee thanks goodness. I do have a stress fracture in there though. Milk and exercise, the Doc says. It's heck getting over .....30.:p

Thanks for listening guys. Don't get blown away, 30-40 footers on Huron today.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

0-40 footers on Huron!! Yikes. I saw vids today of folks in wet suits surfing on Lake Michigan along Lake Shore Drive. I wouldn't think MI had so many surf boards. :p Sandy is just tearing up the eastern half of the US.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Emailed and left a message on the Clipper Craft, nobody's home.

Oh well I'll keep an eye out. The colder it gets the cheaper prices get.

So how about a little help on the drain plug. Anyone know what size it is? Looks like a pipe thread?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Emailed and left a message on the Clipper Craft, nobody's home.

Oh well I'll keep an eye out. The colder it gets the cheaper prices get.

So how about a little help on the drain plug. Anyone know what size it is? Looks like a pipe thread?

This may help ;)

But it looks like your scupper is missing the 'shield' or whatever that C shape is called that actually allows the drain to act as a scupper at higher speeds..

'Course w/ the 225hp OB, you may need the extra water weight to keep the boat turtle side DOWN :cool:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

That's funny^^^ on the 225 h/p... JBC, you are hereby elected iboats historian... Or, I may start calling you Dewey instead of Coonie... You have every thread on this site indexed and committed to memory... (that, or you are a jedi master on the search tool)... All kidding aside, its helpful when you dig those up....

BD - "long time listener, first time caller" (just chiming in to officially come aboard)...

jbcurt00

Staff member

That's funny^^^ on the 225 h/p... JBC, you are hereby elected iboats historian... Or, I may start calling you Dewey instead of Coonie... You have every thread on this site indexed and committed to memory... (that, or you are a jedi master on the search tool)... All kidding aside, its helpful when you dig those up....

BD - "long time listener, first time caller" (just chiming in to officially come aboard)...

My young padawan jedi, PMC:

Seek information you must

Commit it to memory you might

But if you can not currently show how to do, help those who are, to do, you must :D

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

A Scupper valve!!! Sounds like something off a pirate vessel. A rubber plug scares me, if it pops out yikes. Thanks for the info JB-Wan- Kenobi. I'll look at a brass plug, screws and threads good, friction scary.

Here's a link to my motor discussion thread in the Johnny/Rude forum:
http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/lets-talk-big-twin-speeditwin-584026.html

Uhmm, let's not mention to those guys I was thinking about a 225 HP for this boat, ok. They'll think I'm a nut.

InMotion

Commander

Uhmm, let's not mention to those guys I was thinking about a 225 HP for this boat, ok. They'll think I'm a nut.

BD - Thats just about right... 250 would be too much and with a 200 you'd be underpowered! :D

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

BD - Thats just about right... 250 would be too much and with a 200 you'd be underpowered! :D

Now that's funny. I've owned a few muscle cars and I've never reached my HP limit. I have a fealing boats are different.

I saw a Minn Kota 55 pond thrust trolling motor on Amazon for $217.00. I may get that while I've got the cash. I've got a QD-16 (1955 10 hp Johnson) that needs the rest of the new parts put in it. Impeller, Mikuini fuel pump, lower gaskets.... I think I'll press that into service in case I run out of cash for an 18 horse, and I will.:p

This winter I'll scour Craig's List for a deal.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, with no remote steer & throttle, swapping a 'new' tiller motor onto the SN will be easier then falling off the dock <<-- Happens :eek:
Sometimes more then twice :facepalm:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I painted the Islander hull in the dead of winter but the garage was heated by a furnace constantly feed with fire wood.

You are pushing the temps, it's kinda getting winterish out there. Also, I haven't heard good things about kerosene and painting.

I'd vote paint when it's warm again. There is plenty to do till then eh.

OK I researched kerosene and painting. Soot, fisheye etc... I'm switching to propane then.:) I'll build a little plastic sheet a-frame and put my ice shanty heater in it. I've nearly got the bottom of the boat stripped with a 3m pad on my drill. It's nice out for this kind of work, 30's and 40's are better than 80's and 90's.

I'll let the heater run for 3 or 4 days. This way the Rusto has time to cure. So am I crazy for thinking about this?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think it got down to the low 20s last night. A plastic sheet and a shanty heater might not be quite enough eh. Though it's supposed to be sunny and 50's during the days this week. If you play your cards right......

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I think it got down to the low 20s last night. A plastic sheet and a shanty heater might not be quite enough eh. Though it's supposed to be sunny and 50's during the days this week. If you play your cards right......

Ya, I won't be ready this weekend.:mad: Seems like I never do things the easy way. A buddy of mine at the shop shot his Lemans in the winter. He used bullet propane heaters and ran them for three days. his paint turned out good.

I know I'm pushing this a bit but i want to be ready for spring walleyes and smallmouth. Then on to the Offshore.

jbcurt00

Staff member

From the Admiral & I to you & yours:
thanksgiving-8-07.gif

May you have a great weekend & enjoy the company of friends & family....

John

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

After much searching for ran 18 hp Johnson outboard I've come up short. I've been adding to the money in my sock drawer slowly and then watched it get whisked away for school pictures, bagel breakfast at school, b-day card money, now I've I spent it. I bought a Minn-Kota trolling motor. I gave the old 36 lb thrust to my buddy who bought the Sea Scamp. He'll use it to troll around the small lakes. So I needed a replacement.

On Amazon I found an Endura C2, 55 pound thrust, transom mount for $187.00! 42 inch shaft, which I don't know if it's better or worse than the 36" long shaft. It was cheaper though. So the angst of what I was going to purchase for the boat is gone. I'm broke again. The best part is the wife told me to order it. This was an open box, like-new item originally priced at $218.

I need a way to get back to the dock if the main motor quits. I've got two big batteries so I think this might do it. This boat does not have oar locks in it. Motor or nothing I guess. I need to get the 10 horse Johnson all fixed up because more than likely it will have to do until an 18 is found.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I had a really good time. I wish my Lions had won but I'm used to this by now.:p Thanks for the well wishes JB, back at ya. I'm thankful for my buddies here on Iboats.

Don

P.S.
Zach is now a purple belt in Karate. So that's white, gold, orange, green and now purple, Half way or so to a junior black belt. His front kick goes to the top of his head, the roundhouse gets up chin high (right leg only). Lots of improvement in confidence, behavior, gross motor skills... very happy. It's been a struggle with the Autism but I feel we're turning a corner here.

InMotion

Commander

BD - Sounds like it's coming together! Glad to hear about Zack! Sounds like he is really rolling with it!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I've been stripping the bottom of the hull with a 3m fiber wheel. Wanted to soda-blast but I spent my air compressor money on a trolling motor. It's in the low 40's here in Detroit. Perfect weather for labor intense tasks. I didn't break a sweat or get sunburned like I did on the Sea Scamp. The drill kept my hand warm so I didn't need gloves either. I do 15-20 minutes take a break and then back on it. Been chipping away at it for weeks a little at a time. it's 2/3 of the way done on the outside. I'm working in the driveway.

When I get the outside of the hull done I'll flip and start inside. Can't wait. I'm hoping to have it done by Christmas. One patch at a time. lol I'll give her a quick sanding before I start the paint process.

I need to take inventory of the QD-16 and see where I left off. That needs to be running by spring.

Good luck on your projects guys.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

here ya go! ( if its still available) Evinrude fastwin boat motor looks like a 71-73 as it has the newer hood style.

Oh man, that's it. Let's see Saginaw is 100 miles from me. Wife just let me spend $200 on a trolling motor. I knew as soon as I spent the money something would come up. Maybe I can slip out at 5:00 am get the motor and be back, hide it in the garage with the 2 CD-11 motors she hasn't seen all before my wife and kid wake up.

Or have Jasoutside pick it up and stash it in the Islander, I'll paypal him the money and pick it up when I go to Omer sucker fishing in March. I think Jas would rat me out in a minute though.:eek:

Thinking of legit non James Bond ways of getting this motor. To make matters worse I just lectured my wife on spending and budgets....:facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Man BD if I was you I'd
Sorry I got nothing
duh.gif

Good luck wrestling w/ this decision............