1967 Sea Nymph, 14'

jbcurt00

Staff member
You can add the hardener to the aluminum color & Red rusto if they are both oil based enamels, even if you're rolling it on, it'll still add hardness, gloss & scratch resistance.

Good to hear you've made some progress.

Best of luck to Zach & his dad :watermelon:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
You can add the hardener to the aluminum color & Red rusto if they are both oil based enamels, even if you're rolling it on, it'll still add hardness, gloss & scratch resistance.

Good to hear you've made some progress.

Best of luck to Zach & his dad :watermelon:

Yep JB hardener in all colors. The Sea Scamp was just plain Rusto. In my opinion it was a tad soft. Still a great paint job, but looking to make this one even better.
ozpercent
Mineral spirits1.5 c1226%
paint1 q3270%
hardener1/4 c24%
Here's my formula. Painting with Rusto is like making chili. There are a ton of recipes. Last boat was 50/50 mineral spirits and Rusto. it was a tad thin, still worked great just a tad thin. This time I'll go about 1/4 MS add some hardener too. Reducer?? I'm opting out of the reducer. Unless there is a good reason for it.

I'll be rolling and tipping the paint.
Don

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you look at the instructions you'll see there are Roll n' Tip instructions in there!!;)

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Found a Tractor Supply not too far from me. We'll be stocking up. If our boat comes out as good as Lakelover's Jet Star I'll be very happy.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Next a 50/50 white vinegar and water wash.

Followed by a Rustoleum Self Etching Prime.

Next was 2 coats of Rustoleum Primer rolled on. The first coat had some orange peel in it so we sanded wet with 600 grit. The next coat we thinned 20% with mineral spirits. It layed down a lot nicer.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Used WoodonGlass's formula for rolling on finish coat.

2 cups paint
1/4 cup Majic Reducer
1 oz Majic Hardener

Rolls real nice. It's thin so it lays down pretty even. We used aluminum. The top third (above the chine) will be regal red.

Last edited:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
I have a little clean up to do on a couple of spots. A few runs need to be sanded down. Easy to see with the aluminum paint. White would have hid it nicely, but Zach wants the boat red. So we painted the bottom portion aluminum, then red on top.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
It's a fishing boat that's a little beat up. We'll fix a couple of the runs and move on. I saw my brother bought a body hammer kit from HF. A couple of little body hammers and a bunch of dollies. "Hey Bro, didn't you get that body kit at HF? Yea, could you bring it over, I'll let you try it out on the 14' boat". Bwahaha. Yep he came over. Banged out about 20 dents, and worked great! Bout a hundred left though. It's a fishing boat, lol.

Humidity is a couple hundred percent in the Midwest so, we'll wait to paint. sigh.

I just need to say something. If you have a tinnie, don't drop the anchor in it. Leaves a bunch of little dings in the hull. Then the next owner will have to deal with it. OK glad I got that off my chest.

Hope every-bodies project is going ok. Feels good to be wrapping one of mine up. Thanks for the help.

Don