Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

Pusher

Lieutenant
That sounds perfect. There's nothing like having to sit and do nothing for hours on end wondering how the next batch will turn out.

I moved into a neighborhood with neighbors 15' in all directions. I think they'd kill me if I fired up a smoker... but I would die with a smile on my face ;-)

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Just share the first batches with the neighbors and maybe they’ll ask you to make more!

Pretty much everything is done now. Still waiting for the diving ladder to be installed and the new boot stripe and then it’s in to the water.

Now the only old parts left are the hull, the cutlass bearing housing/pipe and the keelguard. Will be really interesting to see what all the changes bring. Hopefully just less sound and vibrations.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
So this winter:

1. Raised the waterline 2 inches
2. New engine mounts (shore 65 Vetus mounts)
3. New prop (4 blades 17 x 17, supposedly silent)
4. New cutlass bearing
5. PSS shaft seal & new shaft
6. New thermostat cover
7. Replaced all steel woven hoses
8. New impeller
9. Fixed air horn at Dhr (diaphragm was shot bc of sone cleaning chemical or such, great service by dhr Netherlands)
10. New filters for oil/diesel
11. Oil change
12. Curtains
13. Window leaks fixed
14. Interior cleanup and carpentry detailing
15. New midship cleats
16. New Simrad gs25 compass for radar overlay
17. Big improvement on sound insulation
18. Stop cable shutoff replaced
19. Window defrosting & insulation of Webasto ducts (huge improvement on temp, used Armaflex ht)
20. Diving ladder (still waiting on this)
21. Emergency tiller (——”””——-)
22. Boot stripe (——-”””——)

And a bunch of smaller stuff I can’t remember, and just because of that I’m writing these here. A diary if you will.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
I might have to readjust the insurance sum for the boat. It’s currently at 50000€ which is nowhere near what I put into it over the years. Then again I can’t expect it to be worth what I think it should be.

A bit tricky, the truth might be in between 50k-100k€, will have to read up on what similar boats cost.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Very nice Reds! Seems you are enjoying the boat. Good to see you about.
When you get a chance shoot some interior pics.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
The radar is gone because of some mysterious reason it was broken after standing still inside? It’s all on warranty and Navico is luckily getting me a new one.

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would have been extremely nervous with a boat in a cradle that far off the ground!!!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
IOh yeah! Been doing all sorts of tiny upgrades and preparing everything for the summer cruise. Was planning to leave tomorrow but weather & wind will postpone that plan with a few days.

The upgrades are good! Took some time to fiddle & adjust everything but now it’s done. The new prop is pretty steep, the min speed is up to 4.3 knots now, it does reach march speed at 2000rpm (around 7.5 knots). I’m saving fuel so I’ll live with the hasty throttle for now. The pss shaft seal is nice being dry and all. The bilge even smells better.

The newest addition is a dual racor diesel filter assembly with a vacuum gauge, will have to try and install it tomorrow.

Pics coming.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
A swedish boating mag did an article about the boat, will attach it here for fun. It’s breaking copyright laws but since no one is likely to read swedish and/or subscribe to Praktiskt båtägande I guess it doesn’t matter :)

Attachments

• photo316064.jpg
    photo316064.jpg
    873.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316065.jpg
    photo316065.jpg
    797.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316066.jpg
    photo316066.jpg
    954.8 KB · Views: 0

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey that's awesome! Wish I was able to read the article, but I'm sure it's all as positive as deserved!

Glad the updates are working well!