Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Beautiful job on the engine, looks like a brand new, showroom piece...Great job!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

The factory kindly sent me a picture of their progress, the gelcoat is in the mold and the door and roof are being laminated at the sides.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
As I mentioned earlier, I'm going to install a Simrad NSS 9 or 12 chartplotter with built in side scan sonar. The through hull transducers which I'd need two of are ridiculously expensive (1500 euros) in comparison with a transom mount transducer (300 euros). So I've been playing around with alternative ways of solving the transducer placing issue. Do you guys think the solutions I made some (real rough) sketches of would work? I'd save huge amounts of money and not need to drill big holes in the hull.

Last edited:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, I'll post them on Photobucket instead, the attachments seem to work so and so. Thanks for letting me know!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Actually, the transducer could probably be even further since this boat will never plane. Kind of hesitant about this, the water might be aerated around the keel and then I might have to end up with the bronze through hulls anyway.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Come to think of it, the welded guard wouldn't work, it would probably throw a bunch of bubbles straight at the transducer. And I don't know if buying a new transducer for every log/stone I run over is that fun either.

Last edited:

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think a through hull transducer would be superior to a transom mount. Does it have to be mounted on the keel? Couldn't you mount it on one side or the other of the keel on the hull, and level it with a fairing piece? Just wondering, I'm sure you've given this a lot of thought.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

You have a point Mikeopsycho, the only problem is that the side scan sonar needs a very wide "clean" field of view. The keel will obstruct it wherever I place it on the hull. The thing is pretty much solved though, I ordered the expensive bronze through hulls.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
The pilot house and other sections look GRRRR-8!!!
The shop did a very nice job on them...:thumb:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Tomorrow I'll cut it to shape and lower it. Excited! It finally starts to look something like a boat.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wow!!!! Looking awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing the house on. I bet you're excited!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I like the suttle transition of the prior to the new form. Compliments to the work you are performing. She Looks Great!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
It's in! I'll align it tomorrow and see if I could open up the tent a bit for a proper view. The sidewalks are quite narrow, minimal even. But I was concerned about the visual height of the cabin. All too many wheelhouses are imo built too high, ending up with unproportional top heavy looks and bad balance. Thanks for the encouraging words guys! I'll post more photos tomorrow.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
A visit to the dentist (with the moped) ate some working time, but I got this far today. Do you guys think the proportions are ok? There are two different versions of the side view, with slightly different cabin angles. Which one do you prefer? And Joe, I'll be happy to come over and visit Denmark. It's been a while since my last visit. I'm serious even :)

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Terve Red Herring! Great looking boat and not one of these standard "pleasure crafts". I like the looks of the second picture a bit better but that's just my taste....