AeroCraft York 1960ish Transom, Stringers, Deck

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
First off thanks Iboats community for the insight, and inspiration. You have educated me, and I've enjoyed all of your of your projects.

What I have here is a AeroCraft York. I'm not sure of the exact year. It appears to be somewhere between 1963 and 1970.
It's a 18 foot outboard runabout. I've owned it for 10 years or, so and have used it often. It has a 1992 Force 50hp. The Force has served me well. The boat is primarily used for trolling walleye in the Saginaw Bay and river, and a little tubing. As my two kids are teens now I would like to update to more a more power full engine. Before I get a bigger outboard I need to address first things first. I certainly don't want to be in "Denial". DCP_1557.jpg
DCP_1561.jpg DCP_1555.jpg

Last edited:

saginawbayboater

Re: AeroCraft York 1960ish Transom, Stringers, Deck

Commence tear down. Pull motor, pull windshield, gut interior. PO had 1/4" luan under indoor/outdoor carpet over rotted floor and strings.
Decapitate!

DCP_1599.jpg

CopyofDCP_1598.jpg

DCP_1603.jpg

Attachments

• CopyofDCP_1598.jpg
    CopyofDCP_1598.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey neighbor, if you copy the IMG code in photobucket and paste it in your thread here your photos will look like this...

DCP_1557.jpg

Great for following your project!

Cheers:)

saginawbayboater

More tear down
DCP_1584.jpg

DCP_1600.jpg

DCP_1602.jpg

DCP_1605.jpg

Last edited:

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looking good so far, Great looking boat.

LK

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmmm that looks strangely familiar,

Making good progress you know I'll be following along.:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Great to see another old runabout get the extreme make over. Looks like your daughter has everything under control !:)

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a nice boat, good decision to bring her back to life. I'll be watching. Good luck!
;)

Trooper82

Commander

Looks like you got the hard part over with...the decision to start it....and making fast work of the teardown too! I'll climb aboard for this one as well..

saginawbayboater

Thanks Alwhite00, TDF, sphelps, jimmyh, troop, glad to have y'all aboard.

My daughter was a great help she took off a lot of parts. We are entering the itch zone and she headed for higher ground LOL!!!

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Looks like you've got a GREAT helper!!!! If you haven't seen them already, the first link in my signature, has drawings and details on all the stuff you're gunna be doing. We're here for ya!!!!!

saginawbayboater

Looks like you've got a GREAT helper!!!! If you haven't seen them already, the first link in my signature, has drawings and details on all the stuff you're gunna be doing. We're here for ya!!!!!

Thanks a bundle Wood!!! I have been through your links front to back a few times. Good stuff!!!

saginawbayboater

DCP_1629.jpg DCP_1607.jpg 080712_2016a.jpg DCP_1606.jpg

Decapitation complete

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Let the Itchin' begin!!! Don't forget the Talcum Powder and the Tyvek Suit!!!!:eek:

saginawbayboater

I did some more work on the boat and I think it's going OK. However I did loose some pics on a bad flash drive. I had taken some pics of the transom wood and deck removal, but when I downloaded they vaporized. BUMMER!!!
Oh well i'll pick it up from there.

So the Transom the deck and the start of stringers are in the dumpster. And the grinding has began.

DCP_1634.jpg DCP_1625.jpg DCP_1626.jpg DCP_1635.jpg

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Man, you ARE making some GREAT progress. Keep it up and you'll be glassin' in no time.

saginawbayboater

Grinding and grinding, and then grind some more.
DCP_1640.jpg DCP_1641.jpg DCP_1644.jpg DCP_1650.jpg

It's exciting to see the fresh glass under the crummy layer.

I received my order from US Composites and I am going with 404 poly.
I checked Menards and they have a good supply of 3/4 arauco ply when I get ready.

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I checked Menards and they have a good supply of 3/4 arauco ply when I get ready.

Yup, even though the factory burned down they seem to always have stacks of it there, no price gouging either. They also have a great selection of stainless fasteners there too, excellent prices. And, when you can't find what you need there drive 100 yards to the south and visit Wolfeils. They carry lots of stainless you can buy one piece at a time;)

Grinding and grinding, and then grind some more.

And hey, I'm in Saginaw just about everyday so hollar if you tire if grinding. I could swing by with some, uh, "tools" and um, "help":D:D:D

saginawbayboater

Yup, even though the factory burned down

Wow when did the factory burn down? That will surely affect the price, and availability!

And, when you can't find what you need there drive 100 yards to the south and visit Wolfeils. They carry lots of stainless you can buy one piece at a time

I live within walking distance of Wohlfeils. I like that joint! One time I got 2, 1/4-20x1/2 coarse bolts @ .22 each and when i got home I had put 3 bolts in the envelope. I don't think they ever recovered from the loss. I did tell them about it the next time I went, but they said forget about it. To this day I look over my shoulder when I'm in there because I feel like a theif!!! LOLOL Good people those Wohlfeils!

And hey, I'm in Saginaw just about everyday so hollar if you tire if grinding. I could swing by with some, uh, "tools" and um, "help

I am a NOOB, but I've read enough to know that something isn't right here. All the talk about Kool-aid, and so on.
Jas offered to help a brother out by grinding on a glasser!! I don't know how to take that. Did you bump your head on that TINNY? LOLOLOL

saginawbayboater

Again more grinding!
DCP_1645.jpg

Last edited: