1972 Starcraft Super Sport 16' Conversion to Center Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 Starcraft Super Sport 16' Conversion to Center Console

Not that I know of.. The old hoses and compression lines on my 72 850 were in the same shape. I used some barb fittings and some hose. Just be careful where the hose clamps go as there wasn't much room for them on mine with the starter back in etc...

You weren't kidding about having room for clamps with the starter in the way....... WOW

jbcurt00

Staff member

Krylon plastic paint might cover the Sched 40 PVC text....

Else looks good, nice progress. If you don't paint the hull now, when will you? It'll only take more time later. It'll look good w/out a new paint job, but won't it be even more so w/ a new dress for prom?

Been a whole lot of work to short change yourself now. IMHO

Besides it's going cooler again this week here, so I suspect the hull paint won't really hold up a good weather splash soon.;)

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

You weren't kidding about having room for clamps with the starter in the way....... WOW

Glad you got her in... I seen your update today but looks like you got it fixed. i was going to mail you 2 of the fittings that I got from grainger to do the 45 deg turn like the OEM compression fittings then you screw in your barb fitting. Not sure that is how you did it or not but it was tight but it looks good and is functional... let me know.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad you got her in... I seen your update today but looks like you got it fixed. i was going to mail you 2 of the fittings that I got from grainger to do the 45 deg turn like the OEM compression fittings then you screw in your barb fitting. Not sure that is how you did it or not but it was tight but it looks good and is functional... let me know.

Much Appreciated, ShowMeGuy. We were able to make it work. For future reference, where did you happen to come across the 45 angled fittings? Hoping I don't have to replace the one line I left on there, it seemed ok, I should have just done all of them.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have been debating sanding and painting the hull / interior aluminum with rustoleum. I only really want to keep the boat for like a year, is it even worth it????

Nice work Jacob. Especially with the winter we have had, kudos for working through it.

Gave me a bit of surprise with only keeping boat for a year...I know it's soon but what will your future plans be? Would you do another resto? What type of boat would be in your future? Just curious.

You ask about whether worth painting and my .02 is will you get additional value assuming you sell boat? Maybe a cruise through local CL, Iboats, etc. can give you some idea of value.

Best of luck, good job.

I get a kick on your pics with titles of Fairview as that's where grew up.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Much Appreciated, ShowMeGuy. We were able to make it work. For future reference, where did you happen to come across the 45 angled fittings? Hoping I don't have to replace the one line I left on there, it seemed ok, I should have just done all of them.

Grainger part number 6AYR8
GRAINGER APPROVED VENDOR Street Elbow, Brass, 45, 1/8 In, PK 10 - Brass Pipe Fittings - 6AYR8|6AYR8 - Grainger Industrial Supply

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Suns out and 70 degrees, you better believe I am painting the hull today. Those of you that piped in on my question last week won me over, I think it's best to paint the hull. Even if it's just a little part of it. It makes the boat look so much better. I decided to go with a yellow RustOleum paint. 2 coats with a clear coat next weekend. After sanding down the boat, taking off the numbers, and taping everything off, here is the outcome.

Fairview Park-20130407-00732.jpgRocky River-20130407-00733.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We worked on cutting out our Step2 play mats to fit the deck of the bow. This will serve as our pad for hanging out in the sun this summer. We got them cut out perfectly, only problem is sticking them to the deck. The deck is painted with a garage floor pain with the grip. Double sided velcro with a tape backing didn't stick to the play mat or the deck. I will have to figure something out for this. Here are a few shots of what we did.

Fairview Park-20130407-00734.jpgRocky River-20130407-00735.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice work Jacob. Especially with the winter we have had, kudos for working through it.

Gave me a bit of surprise with only keeping boat for a year...I know it's soon but what will your future plans be? Would you do another resto? What type of boat would be in your future? Just curious.

You ask about whether worth painting and my .02 is will you get additional value assuming you sell boat? Maybe a cruise through local CL, Iboats, etc. can give you some idea of value.

Best of luck, good job.

I get a kick on your pics with titles of Fairview as that's where grew up.

Well if I were to only have this boat for a year, It'd be because I went bigger at the end of the season. I would really love to be able to spend the night down at the marina and not worry about getting home, you know, if I had a little fun. I ended up painting the hull a bit like you suggested. I think it improved it. Will look a lot better when we pull the tape off.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are some drawings I've done over the last few months. Believe me, driving one of these dual consoles Starcrafts in Lake Erie chop makes you think about standing up to drive all summer. I drove my buddies 19 Whaler Outrage a few times and just absolutely loved it.

I have a hard time parting from the simplicity of the tin can for a glasser.

View attachment 172089View attachment 172090View attachment 172091View attachment 172092

Looking back on these concept drawings, how big did I think this boat was???? LOL. Nowhere NEAR this much room now that it's all set up.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would caution against clear coat. It's not really needed and makes the inevitable touch ups more difficult. I love the yellow, looks great.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

The center console coversion looks great. I'm diggin the yellow paint.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would caution against clear coat. It's not really needed and makes the inevitable touch ups more difficult. I love the yellow, looks great.

Thanks for the advice bud. You saved me a weekend worth of work. I'll be sure to return those cans of spray clear coat, they weren't cheap.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the advice bud. You saved me a weekend worth of work. I'll be sure to return those cans of spray clear coat, they weren't cheap.

I here you. I spray bombed my last boat. I used Rustoleum Metallics on the topside which really needed to be cleared in order to have any gloss (the solid colors are fine) and MAN did I use a ton of can$! I think I could have had Maaco spray it for what I spent on rattle cans. The clear did not seem as durable as the regular paint either so definitely avoid it if you don't need it.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So guess what.... DONE!

We tried to take it out yesterday but that just didn't work out. The ramps were still closed, not sure why, the walleye are biting!

Here are some shots of the finishing touches. This is the anchor strapped down on the deck with the line wrapped up neatly. I have been wanting to do this for some time now.

Rocky River-20130413-00753.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is how we resolved the folding windshield issue. Because the windshield wasn't flush with the sides of the console, we couldn't use a latch. The original way of making it work was to mechanical. This simplified everything.

Fairview Park-20130414-00765.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No here are some shots of the boat from a bunch of different angles!!!

Brook Park-20130414-00767.jpgFairview Park-20130414-00768.jpgFairview Park-20130414-00769.jpgFairview Park-20130414-00770.jpgFairview Park-20130414-00771.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.