1972 Starcraft Super Sport 16' Conversion to Center Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 Starcraft Super Sport 16' Conversion to Center Console

This is what we were thinking of using for the console. We were going to remove the top and mount a new dash at an angle and top surface for the fish finder / Stereo. I also attached a picture of how the windshield will work using the existing parts and combining them.

IMG-20121020-00374.jpgIMG-20121020-00373.jpg

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

If that is steel make sure you isolate it from any aluminum completely or your gonna make a battery.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If that is steel make sure you isolate it from any aluminum completely or your gonna make a battery.

Could you elaborate a little on how that works??? Thanks for the heads up!!

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am looking to re-do my control cables to my 1972 Mercury 800. The fast idle cable is frayed and there is a lot of play in the throttle. Does anyone know where to go in order to find these parts? I've been looking all over and am having some difficulty.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Any different metals will coorode when in contact with each other. Pretty much merc cables have been the same for a long time. You can find new ones right here, all you will need is the length. There is only one throttle cabel for both fast idle and speed. Both throtle and shift cables are the same. Cables don't usually get "weak" or have play, they are either good or bad. The play might be at either end in the motor or the control. FYI the only adjustment is at the motor, nothing in the control to adjust except maybe the neutral safety switch.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Weekend is here, that means it's time to work on the boat some more. My dad and I went to Home Depot and got some plywood and started the floor. We only did the rear portion to start, but then headed back to get another sheet. We wanted to get most of it done today to better understand the console layout.

We are going to run a piece of conduit down the center of the boat to under the rear splashwell where a 90 degree bend will go up through the floor. This will house the cables, ignition, power sources to the fuse box, lights, bilge, etc. The steering will be routed diagonally across the boat because the length isn't enough to route it normally. Here are some images of what we accomplished today.

FYI - we cut both floor sections and it fit perfectly the first time for both of them. We were surprised.

I also included an image of the part i will use to make our T-Top. It is a platform in one of our climbers we make at work. Perfect for this boat.

Cleveland-20121027-00423.jpg IMG-20121027-00420.jpgRocky River-20121027-00422.jpgStreetsboro-20121022-00395.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Any thoughts on this stuff for my floor? I saw it at Home Depot yesterday. http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4882

There is a latex wax sealer applied to the GP DriPly that may inhibit whatever you intend to seal your plywood with, and lead to the sealer you apply's early failure. I think the latex/wax is intended to prevent delamination of subflooring plywood during construction, but is not intended as a waterproofing suitable for repeated long term exposure to water, if you don't seal the deck some other way. From the GP info at your link:
As a builder, one of the challenges you face day in and day out is protecting your sub-floor from the elements before the roof and exterior walls are completed. Protecting the sub-floor from moisture-related problems minimizes time-consuming sanding and callbacks, and improves the quality of the homes you build. Now DryPly plywood with a water-repellent coating can help you meet this challenge. DryPly plywood absorbs 40% less water for protection during the construction cycle.

But I am not a plywood, or plywood sealer, expert.

You may be able to apply epoxy (or other sealer) to the DriPly after a moderate to aggressive surface sanding. But since it is advertised as sealed against edge swelling, adequately prepping & applying epoxy to the edges may be challenging if it's a factory edge. Cut edges should present little or no problem, few sealers are drawn particularly deep into the plywood anyway....

Great job on getting the plywood cut & fitted the 1st time

64osby

Admiral

Have you considered a side console instead of a center. The walk around on the 16 might be slim. Your cables and controls would also work as is.

I love CC's but on a 16 a side would be pretty sweet IMO.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you considered a side console instead of a center. The walk around on the 16 might be slim. Your cables and controls would also work as is.

I love CC's but on a 16 a side would be pretty sweet IMO.

The boat was set up as a dual console before ripping it up. I didn't mind it, I just can't stand driving the way the boat was set up. I had to sit on a 45 degree angle on my knees or on the seat back to see over the bow. The center will allow me to stand up to drive. Believe me, I thought about it a lot, almost to much, Lol.

KennethfromGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought about converting my boat to a CC or a S/C for the same reason and as the PO had already cut out the original dual consoles and put a CC blank in (though the effect was more of a side console given the way he mounted it.) it would have been easier than what I'm about to do. In the end however after drawing it up on paper I didn't care for it space wise and with an admiral and two deck hands aboard it's gonna be dual consoles for me even though I too prefer to drive standing up. (I'm thinking of putting the seat on a slide or something.) Looks like your gonna have a great boat though and combing the old consoles and windshield ought to look killer. :cool:

64osby

Admiral

I understand the side console scrunch driving, had that on my old boat. My thought was to mount the CC as a SC and provide a higher seat or a leaning perch for the seat.

My Mariner has about 22" clearance on each side of the CC. Yours will have less I'm thinking. Setting it on one side will give plenty of room to move fore and aft while still providing the CC feel and seating.

Just a thought.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate all the input!!!

If anyone is looking for a Chieftan for sale, I know where one sits for $1500 with a Merc 150 on the back.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The boat was set up as a dual console before ripping it up. I didn't mind it, I just can't stand driving the way the boat was set up. I had to sit on a 45 degree angle on my knees or on the seat back to see over the bow. The center will allow me to stand up to drive. Believe me, I thought about it a lot, almost to much, Lol.

It was actually your seating that was the problem and not the SC on the original layout of the boat. A pedestal seat at an SC is a much better option, you sit up higher and can even stand to steer if you want.

As mentioned above, your boat is a bit small for a CC and you may find it inconvenient and "in the way" after a while.

CC's also limit your seating arrangements, and comfortable seating in a boat is very important for all day trips.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It was actually your seating that was the problem and not the SC on the original layout of the boat. A pedestal seat at an SC is a much better option, you sit up higher and can even stand to steer if you want.

As mentioned above, your boat is a bit small for a CC and you may find it inconvenient and "in the way" after a while.

CC's also limit your seating arrangements, and comfortable seating in a boat is very important for all day trips.

Pretty much the only reason why I feel as though it would work for me is due to my friend's 15' Dauntless Boston Whaler. They made great use of the interior on that boat. I am trying to mock it the best I can.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This was my Marina before Hurricane Sandy hit Cleveland on Monday night into Tuesday morning. I shot this video at around 6:30pm. Shortly after the blue steel breakwall broke and let the 10 - 12 footers brewing inside the harbor into the marina destroying the docks and sinking 7 boats. Nextdoor at Edgewater Marina 30 boats sunk.

Here is the aftermath

[video]http://fox8.com/2012/10/30/sandy-sinks-dozens-of-boats-on-lake-erie/#ooid=cxc2RnNjqfRsGuoDLh0jXrDP-iT0YCWQ[/video]

KennethfromGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No matter how long I live I will never cease to be amazed at the power of nature. Hope you and yours are doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.