1972 Starcraft Super Sport 16' Conversion to Center Console

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1972 Starcraft Super Sport 16' Conversion to Center Console

Big question now. I have a gas leak in a hose above the lower carb that I need to fix. Seems to be coming from an upper hose which leads to the bottom carb bowl. When I rebuilt the carb back in the previous spring, I think flexing the hose caused the leak. It's behind the starter. 800 1972 Mercury Thunderbolt.

Any easy way to fix a gas leak without a complete tear out and replace (there is concern with finding parts).

Comment

Have been debating sanding and painting the hull / interior aluminum with rustoleum. I only really want to keep the boat for like a year, is it even worth it????

Comment

Originally posted by jacobmeyers View Post
        Big question now. I have a gas leak in a hose above the lower carb that I need to fix. Seems to be coming from an upper hose which leads to the bottom carb bowl. When I rebuilt the carb back in the previous spring, I think flexing the hose caused the leak. It's behind the starter. 800 1972 Mercury Thunderbolt.

Any easy way to fix a gas leak without a complete tear out and replace (there is concern with finding parts).
        Any/all old fuel hose should be replaced. Old fuel lines will deteriorate and foul your carbs....which could possibly starve a cyl(s) of fuel and ruin your motor.
        1975 Starcraft SS-16' / Converted to a Side Console
        1978 70hp w/ OEM Power trim
        17P Stainless Prop. 33mph loaded with gear(incl 4 batteries/6gal fuel)
        1975 Starcraft Super Sport- Resto currently "in progress"
        https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=547770

Comment

Not that I know of.. The old hoses and compression lines on my 72 850 were in the same shape. I used some barb fittings and some hose. Just be careful where the hose clamps go as there wasn't much room for them on mine with the starter back in etc...
          1973 Starcraft Chieftain 21ft ***VinTINage Chief***
          https://forums.iboats.com/showthread...36#post3678136

1973 Starcraft Super Sport 16ft ***Miss. Sippy Skew***
          https://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-...me-573261.html

Comment

Great weekend for painting, I did just that. Got the console painted finally. Pulled everything off to paint, taped some things that couldn't be removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fairview Park-20130329-00657.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	7072076Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130329-00656.jpg
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	7072077

Comment

We attached the hatch on the bow seats. We need to come up with some sort of latch to keep it down when motoring.

Name:	Fairview Park-20130330-00664.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	7072081

Comment

After painting the console we decided to pull off the motor lid and start looking at the gas leak. I noticed that the crimps on all my hoses were leaking when I pumped the ball. After calling Ravenna Marine for parts, I learned that parts are no loner available. I made a trip to Lakewood Hardware and picked up some brass fittings, rubber hose, and hose clamps. After about 3 hours worth of work and adjusting, the thing stopped leaking. I had to move the filter cap on the carb bowl a bit in order to re-route the hose, the new fittings and hose wouldn't fit because of the starter. We got it to fit eventually and now the motor runs great. It was real easy to fix using a hose clamp and brass fitting.

Name:	carb.jpg
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	7072082

Comment

After the paint dried, we attached the windshield, components, and steering wheel. I also added the fish finder as well. The console is set up and complete. We used a lot of the old parts in order to set up this windshield. It's a pain, we may look for a better way to do it, or just attach it without folding down.

Name:	Cleveland-20130330-00666.jpg
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	7072083Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocky River-20130330-00663.jpg
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	7072084

Comment

In the front of the boat on both sides I added some rod holders. I also added a cleat for bumpers. This should make adjusting length on the fly much easier now.

Name:	Cleveland-20130330-00665.jpg
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	7072085Click image for larger version

Name:	Fairview Park-20130329-00658.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	7072086Click image for larger version

Name:	Fairview Park-20130329-00659.jpg
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	7072087

Comment

Here are a few shots of the boat so far. Not much left to do. Still deciding whether or not I paint the hull.

Name:	Fairview Park-20130330-00669.jpg
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	7072088Click image for larger version

Name:	Fairview Park-20130330-00670.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	7072089Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocky River-20130330-00667.jpg
ID:	7072090Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocky River-20130330-00668.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	7072091Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocky River-20130330-00671.jpg
ID:	7072092

Comment

Name:	Rocky River-20130330-00672.jpg
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	7072093

Comment

Originally posted by ShowMeGuy View Post
                          Not that I know of.. The old hoses and compression lines on my 72 850 were in the same shape. I used some barb fittings and some hose. Just be careful where the hose clamps go as there wasn't much room for them on mine with the starter back in etc...

You weren't kidding about having room for clamps with the starter in the way....... WOW

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187380[/ATTACH]
                            Krylon plastic paint might cover the Sched 40 PVC text....

Else looks good, nice progress. If you don't paint the hull now, when will you? It'll only take more time later. It'll look good w/out a new paint job, but won't it be even more so w/ a new dress for prom?

Been a whole lot of work to short change yourself now. IMHO

Besides it's going cooler again this week here, so I suspect the hull paint won't really hold up a good weather splash soon.
                            Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

You weren't kidding about having room for clamps with the starter in the way....... WOW
                              Glad you got her in... I seen your update today but looks like you got it fixed. i was going to mail you 2 of the fittings that I got from grainger to do the 45 deg turn like the OEM compression fittings then you screw in your barb fitting. Not sure that is how you did it or not but it was tight but it looks good and is functional... let me know.
                              1973 Starcraft Chieftain 21ft ***VinTINage Chief***
                              https://forums.iboats.com/showthread...36#post3678136

1973 Starcraft Super Sport 16ft ***Miss. Sippy Skew***
                              https://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-...me-573261.html

Comment

Re: 1972 Starcraft Super Sport 16' Conversion to Center Console

Originally posted by ShowMeGuy View Post
                                Glad you got her in... I seen your update today but looks like you got it fixed. i was going to mail you 2 of the fittings that I got from grainger to do the 45 deg turn like the OEM compression fittings then you screw in your barb fitting. Not sure that is how you did it or not but it was tight but it looks good and is functional... let me know.
                                Much Appreciated, ShowMeGuy. We were able to make it work. For future reference, where did you happen to come across the 45 angled fittings? Hoping I don't have to replace the one line I left on there, it seemed ok, I should have just done all of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X